News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Religious Exclamations

Started by DirtyLeo, February 25, 2011, 10:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyLeo

Assuming that you don't believe in a god and/or not part of a religion:
Do you use religious exclamations ("Jesus Christ!", "Good God!", etc)  when you talk? Or say "Bless You" when someone sneezes?
If no, does it come naturally or are you making an effort to keep them out of your day-to-day vocabulary?
Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
* "Often, the last thing men believe is the truth."
* "Right y'are! I must be the stupidest bastard in the Circle of the World, er? It's a wonder I can hold my own shit in without paying mind to my arse every minute."
Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay
* "We

The Magic Pudding

I would never say good god.
Jesus works well as an exclamation, it can benefit from a few more words for emphasis.

Nearly at 50 posts Leo, in one day. Jeez you have been busy.

DirtyLeo

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"Nearly at 50 posts Leo, in one day. Jeez you have been busy.

Yes  :pop:

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"...Jeez...

And this was a good example too  :D
* "Right y'are! I must be the stupidest bastard in the Circle of the World, er? It's a wonder I can hold my own shit in without paying mind to my arse every minute."
* "We

rawrdog822

Ya, I use them quite a bit.  I would like to stop using them so much, but eh, whatever.

Lost

I use them, but am trying not to. As I've been thinking about atheism more lately, I've realized how much I do it.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "DirtyLeo"Assuming that you don't believe in a god and/or not part of a religion:
Do you use religious exclamations ("Jesus Christ!", "Good God!", etc)  when you talk? Or say "Bless You" when someone sneezes?
If no, does it come naturally or are you making an effort to keep them out of your day-to-day vocabulary?
This is a great question.  One I've brought up before in a thread.

The point being that to use these words as exclamations, as curses, as swear...is to give these words/names power.  If the Atheist denies God (or any god), then why, by using these as such, do *you continue to "shoot yourself in the foot"?

Davin

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"
Quote from: "DirtyLeo"Assuming that you don't believe in a god and/or not part of a religion:
This is a great question.  One I've brought up before in a thread.

The point being that to use these words as exclamations, as curses, as swear...is to give these words/names power.  If the Atheist denies God (or any god), then why, by using these as such, do *you continue to "shoot yourself in the foot"?
They're just words, unless you think saying "Jesus Christ" all the time will actually make Jesus Christ exist. I suppose we could substitute "god" with "science" like; "science damn it!" and "oh my science!"

Though all kidding aside, I'm sure you don't mean that kind of power, because that's like incantations, summonings and dark magic. In the other kind of power of words, I think it hurts the religious more to say things like "god damn it!", "Jesus Fucking Christ on on a stick!", "god fucking sideways!" and "Pig fucking Jesus Christ!" Because a lot of religious people tend to get offended even though the person saying it may not have their same belief. On Penn & Teller's: Bullshit (I think one in season 2), there was a lady that said that people should substitute the word "god" with the word "Buddha" because they didn't believe in Buddha so it wasn't bad. Hilarious how hypocritical some of the more extreme religious can get without ever seeing it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

MariaEvri

I use "χρισÏ,,έ μοÏ..." (my jesus!) and παναγία μοÏ... (virgin mary!!) when Im annoyed and θκιάολε!! (a cypriot accent of devil-satan) when I am really pissed off - makes my friends angry when they hear me use that
I dont think when before swearing, and to be honest I don;t think I want to remove those from my vocabulary. Other swear words we use had other meanings in the past (for example, a word we use now for "shut the duck up" is "φάοÏ...σα" which used to be a very bad deadly disease). so by using religious names/words as swearwords, I am just using them the same way I use all the other words.
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Davin"They're just words, unless you think saying "Jesus Christ" all the time will actually make Jesus Christ exist. I suppose we could substitute "god" with "science" like; "science damn it!" and "oh my science!"

Though all kidding aside, I'm sure you don't mean that kind of power, because that's like incantations, summonings and dark magic. In the other kind of power of words, I think it hurts the religious more to say things like "god damn it!", "Jesus Fucking Christ on on a stick!", "god fucking sideways!" and "Pig fucking Jesus Christ!" Because a lot of religious people tend to get offended even though the person saying it may not have their same belief. On Penn & Teller's: Bullshit (I think one in season 2), there was a lady that said that people should substitute the word "god" with the word "Buddha" because they didn't believe in Buddha so it wasn't bad. Hilarious how hypocritical some of the more extreme religious can get without ever seeing it.
You're right.  Saying these words will not make Jesus magically exist.

So what you're saying, then, is that you use these words to hurt people and/or to offend them.  Which part of your morals allows you to belittle others for being different?  I don't suggest substituting Buddha in place of God or Jesus Christ, but I would suggest using something more consistent with your ideology.  For a Christian to use God in cursing or swearing is wrong!  In context, however, it is consistent with Christian beliefs.

At the core, what is the basis of swearing and/or cursing at someone?  Is it not based on the belief that saying "God damn it/you" that God has the power to damn you?  Again...an Atheist using these terms, in their thoughts denying God, but in their actions affirming the power God has.

DirtyLeo

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"The point being that to use these words as exclamations, as curses, as swear...is to give these words/names power.  If the Atheist denies God (or any god), then why, by using these as such, do *you continue to "shoot yourself in the foot"?

I agree with you that it may *sound* strange coming from an atheist but I think you are taking this a little bit too far. At least, this is not a real hypocrisy. The way I see it, we all say things that are not intended in their original meanings. At work, if I hire a freelance designer, I hardly expect a "sell sword". Or I don't even notice a boxing ring is square and I don't blame the organizers for not correcting it. However, I humbly think that as atheists we should not use those exclamations, it just doesn't sound right.
* "We

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "DirtyLeo"
Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"The point being that to use these words as exclamations, as curses, as swear...is to give these words/names power.  If the Atheist denies God (or any god), then why, by using these as such, do *you continue to "shoot yourself in the foot"?
I agree with you that it may *sound* strange coming from an atheist but I think you are taking this a little bit too far. At least, this is not a real hypocrisy.
In general, I would agree.  It's not a huge deal.  The problem lies in your next sentence.
Quote from: "DirtyLeo"The way I see it, we all say things that are not intended in their original meanings.
I disagree.  Take "God damn you/it"...what then is the real intention IF NOT its original and specific meaning?  Take the exclamation, "Jesus Christ!!".  Why call out to, cry to, call on, a "non-existent" god at all?  It would be similar to me (or anyone) exclaiming, "Great Spaghetti Monster!!".  The exclamation is evident and it does the same, but which name REALLY speaks to the exclamation?
Quote from: "DirtyLeo"However, I humbly think that as atheists we should not use those exclamations, it just doesn't sound right.
I'm in agreement with you.  It doesn't "sound" right, it is not consistent nor logical.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"So what you're saying, then, is that you use these words to hurt people and/or to offend them.
Uh, no.

QuoteWhich part of your morals allows you to belittle others for being different?
Because that's clearly what we're doing.

QuoteI don't suggest substituting Buddha in place of God or Jesus Christ, but I would suggest using something more consistent with your ideology.
Which ideology would you be referring to here?

QuoteFor a Christian to use God in cursing or swearing is wrong!  In context, however, it is consistent with Christian beliefs.
Using a simple expression is also consistent with my beliefs.

QuoteAt the core, what is the basis of swearing and/or cursing at someone?
Why does it have to be "at someone"? Most of the time when I swear I'm not actually directing it another human being, and almost always when I am it's jokingly.

QuoteIs it not based on the belief that saying "God damn it/you" that God has the power to damn you?
Isn't the phrase "good luck" based on the belief that luck exists?

QuoteAgain...an Atheist using these terms, in their thoughts denying God, but in their actions affirming the power God has.
And saying good luck affirms that luck exists.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"I disagree.  Take "God damn you/it"...what then is the real intention IF NOT its original and specific meaning?
It's simply something to say when you're mad.

QuoteTake the exclamation, "Jesus Christ!!".  Why call out to, cry to, call on, a "non-existent" god at all?
Once again, it's something to say.

QuoteIt would be similar to me (or anyone) exclaiming, "Great Spaghetti Monster!!".  The exclamation is evident and it does the same, but which name REALLY speaks to the exclamation?
"Jesus Christ!" is something a lot of people say. "Great Spaghetti Monster!" isn't. People pick up on the expressions of others.
Quote from: "DirtyLeo"However, I humbly think that as atheists we should not use those exclamations, it just doesn't sound right.
I'm in agreement with you.  It doesn't "sound" right, it is not consistent nor logical.
I use them because I want to, and I don't give a goddamn if you think they're not "logical" for me to use.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"I use them because I want to, and I don't give a goddamn if you think they're not "logical" for me to use.
Thank you so much, LS for this excellent exclamation.  It makes my point for me.

What is it about goddamn that makes your point more?

Why didn't you just say, "...don't give a damn if you..."

What is it about "goddamn" that makes your statement MORE and with MORE emphasis and meaning?

Whether or not I THINK it's logical is of no consequence...the point is that it isn't logical.

Lost

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
QuoteAt the core, what is the basis of swearing and/or cursing at someone?
Why does it have to be "at someone"? Most of the time when I swear I'm not actually directing it another human being, and almost always when I am it's jokingly.

Yep. I usually use "Jesus" or "Mother-fucker" in similar situations, such as burning my hand, stubbing a toe, or having someone cut me off in traffic. Doesn't mean I want someone having their way with my mom. It's just habit based on today's standard swears/curses.

Mind you, now that I've noticed, I've greatly reduced the religious swears. There are plenty that aren't religious :)