News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Superstitions evolved to help us survive

Started by crocofish, September 11, 2008, 09:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crocofish

Here is an article from New Scientist that links superstition to evolution.  The premise is that belief in some superstitions may have given humans a survival advantage, so the capacity to believe superstitions was passed on to later generations.  "As long as the cost of believing a superstition is less than the cost of missing a real association, superstitious beliefs will be favoured."

It's an interesting concept that is some food for thought.  Do non-believers have some kind of survival disadvantage?  Perhaps, if there is a gang of pitchfork wielding evangelists in pursuit shouting "heathen".  :)
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

curiosityandthecat

Makes sense. It's something I've believed for quite some time. Believing that a werewolf or other monster lives in the forest makes one less likely to wander into a dark wood and be mauled by a bear. Sure, the werewolf isn't real, but the bear sure is.
-Curio

Will

Good article.

Okay, everyone get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow were all going to evolve out of it~!
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

myleviathan

I totally agree that superstition and myth-making gives people an evolutionary advantage. It causes masses of people to organize on a global scale to work toward well-defined, singular goals. It offers emotional and financial support for members. It helps them cope with death and with chaos. In addition, having as many children you can is very much looked favorably upon in an attempt to outbreed the opposition. Obviously one day all of this will backfire with overpopulation and global war. But in the meantime, theists do have the evolutionary advantage. They're like ants: organized and determined on global domination.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err