News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Veridican Creed of Salvation

Started by Egor, February 26, 2012, 05:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reprobate

Abracadabra, open sesame, bippity-boppity-boo.

Magic words are still the stuff of fairy-tales. There is nothing original, rational, or intelligent in your version.

Guardian85

Self-deprecating, unneccesary, it presupposes the consept of sin and apparently everyone is a sinner (even children?); and it is as unoriginal and redundant as any other creed of christianity which in itself was a knockoff of previous faiths.

Give me the Jedi creed anyday.  ;D

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 26, 2012, 06:07:49 PM
Hah! At the end of the day, the only creed that matters to The Asmo is... Asmo's.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on February 26, 2012, 07:19:07 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on February 26, 2012, 06:07:49 PM
Hah! At the end of the day, the only creed that matters to The Asmo is... Asmo's.  :D

This is true.  :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Egor

Quote from: Ali on February 26, 2012, 02:41:26 PM
The wording is clear enough for me, although the third sentence seems a bit run-on-y, and the fourth sentence is a bit twistier than modern convention normally likes. 

Other than that, I don't know what critiques and thoughts you are hoping for, since probably most of the people on this site probably find the content to be complete balls.

Thank you. That's exactly the kind of input I'm looking for.
This user has been banned so please do not expect any responses from him.

Egor

Quote from: McQ on February 26, 2012, 04:07:28 PM
I think it's as full of crap as the original source material. Secondly, I believe you are entirely disingenuous in why you post it on an atheist forum. In this moderator's opinion, you are very close to what I'm going to call troll-preaching.

I don't buy for one second that you care for our genuine feedback. And besides, you don't need feedback from atheists. You need it from people who don't think your entire belief system is a fairy tale.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

It's not preaching. I am looking for honest opinions as I think you can tell from my replies, and I've already made changes based on what Ali and Old Git have said, and my conversation with Asmodean has made me think very critically about what this creed says.

As for posting it in a religious forum, why? They would be reluctant to really criticize it. People in here will criticize it harshly. And that's what I need.

This is the board of your forum entitled "Religion." I am a member of this forum. This is my religion. I haven't told anyone to believe it; I'm in here answering replies, so I think you're pretty hard pressed to call it troll-preaching. If you don't want a theist as one of your members in this forum, then I guess you have the power to stop that. But you don't get to have it both ways: You don't get to have a public forum open to religious debate, courting religious debate, and then getting all upset when a religious person posts something religious.

Egor

Quote from: Asmodean on February 26, 2012, 11:31:17 AM

And on third hand, you have a person who knows he's not perfect in oh, so many ways and doesn't strive to achieve that perfection simply because he doesn't need to.

Well, yeah. That's called being unrepentant.

Working from an assumption that eternal life is indeed possible, I'd say it sucks for them. Pretty sure I'd get bored to the point of suicide in a matter of a few centuries.

I thought about that, myself, acutally, and sometimes find myself wishing for non-existence and not eternal consciousness. But when did God ever give us a choice in that regard, anyway? Maybe He knows something we don't about what's to come.

And thus, we arrive at my point: the seed doesn't care - why should we?

It's Pascal's wager, isn't it? It's "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" stuff.

Asmodean

Quote from: Egor on February 26, 2012, 09:20:52 PM
It's Pascal's wager, isn't it?
It is.

The whole wager is flawed, but that has been discussed to death and is beside the point, really. I don't think I would see any reason to bet at all even if it was solid in my book.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

McQ

Quote from: Egor on February 26, 2012, 09:14:00 PM

It's not preaching. I am looking for honest opinions as I think you can tell from my replies, and I've already made changes based on what Ali and Old Git have said, and my conversation with Asmodean has made me think very critically about what this creed says.

As for posting it in a religious forum, why? They would be reluctant to really criticize it. People in here will criticize it harshly. And that's what I need.

This is the board of your forum entitled "Religion." I am a member of this forum. This is my religion. I haven't told anyone to believe it; I'm in here answering replies, so I think you're pretty hard pressed to call it troll-preaching. If you don't want a theist as one of your members in this forum, then I guess you have the power to stop that. But you don't get to have it both ways: You don't get to have a public forum open to religious debate, courting religious debate, and then getting all upset when a religious person posts something religious.

One. I'm not "all upset". Nice try though.
Two. I said you are very close to troll-preaching. Strike two on your attempt to mischaracterize what I clearly wrote.
Three. I disagree with you and stand by my initial assessment. I believe you to be disingenuous (and a fraud), so it had better matter very much to you what I think about your posts if you want to remain a forum member.

Four. You insinuate that I don't want theist members in the forum. Also wrong. Go ahead and PM any of the moderators or members here and ask them what my stance on theist members is. Another failed attempt by you to mischaracterize me or my own motives.

Now, what you need to do is prove to me that I've mischaracterized you. If you can do that, then I'll change my opinion of you. So far, all you've done is pretend as if you're interested so we'll go along with your posts. Do you realize that we also read your blog? It shows what you really think of atheists. It also shows that you're a liar, since you've yet to retract the lies from your December 29 post, which I called you out on in this forum. http://thebelieversrevolt.blogspot.com/2011/12/happy-atheist-forum-cant-hang.html

Get your act together Edward, and start being up front. My guess is that all you want to do is build up all of the criticisms that we have against your religion so that you can use them as fodder for your forum and book. That's fine, because we are more than happy to provide criticism of it. Just admit that's all you want to begin with. Keep trying to bullshit your way through and you'll find it rough going.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Dobermonster

The irony in this thread is overwhelming. Religion is based on the belief in absolute truth, yet here we have the way to salvation put up to a vote? This  is how the whole thing got started in the first place:

"Hey guys, check out my bitchin' poetry on god and life and stuff - do you think it's about right?"

"Way deep, bro! You should totally get this shit published. You'd be, like, famous."

Either this thread is proselytizing, or you lack conviction in your beliefs. Which is it?

Gawen

Quote from: Egor

I certainly welcome any comments, suggestions, whatever.
Comment: Unsubstantiated assertions, all.

Suggestion: Learn to live on your own and for yourself and others instead of relying on unsubstantiated assertions.

Whatever: Read the Qur'an. It's the world's fastest growing unsubstantiated assertions out there. You wouldn't want to be 'left behind'...unless you take my suggestion.

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

McQ

Quote from: Dobermonster on February 26, 2012, 11:59:38 PM
The irony in this thread is overwhelming. Religion is based on the belief in absolute truth, yet here we have the way to salvation put up to a vote? This  is how the whole thing got started in the first place:

"Hey guys, check out my bitchin' poetry on god and life and stuff - do you think it's about right?"

"Way deep, bro! You should totally get this shit published. You'd be, like, famous."

Either this thread is proselytizing, or you lack conviction in your beliefs. Which is it?

+1   ^
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Amicale

Quote from: McQ on February 27, 2012, 01:54:56 AM
Quote from: Dobermonster on February 26, 2012, 11:59:38 PM
The irony in this thread is overwhelming. Religion is based on the belief in absolute truth, yet here we have the way to salvation put up to a vote? This  is how the whole thing got started in the first place:

+1   ^

I'll be kind, and say maybe he lacks conviction. Of the 38,000 or so Christian denominations out there today, I'd say all 38,000 of them probably started off with "OK, I've got an idea. How in the hell do I get this thing off the ground?"

That being said, isn't starting your own brand of Christianity essentially saying none of the other variations are good enough for you?

I'd wager most people starting their own denomination, even if it's just a church of one, lack conviction/faith/confidence/trust in whatever it is they find the need to branch off from, at least. *shrug*

To the OP: if you're looking for feedback, I'd just say that based on the creed alone, there really aren't many significant differences between what you've got there, and what the Bible has to say. Congrats on a jazzed up logo, though.  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Whitney

i don't have an opinion on the content of the creed because i think it's all pointless.

But...when you use the word "Earth" it is capitalized as a proper noun...the exception is when you refer to earth in the context of meaning ground/soil rather than the whole planet.

Egor

Quote from: McQ on February 26, 2012, 11:26:20 PM
One. I'm not "all upset". Nice try though.
Two. I said you are very close to troll-preaching. Strike two on your attempt to mischaracterize what I clearly wrote.
Three. I disagree with you and stand by my initial assessment. I believe you to be disingenuous (and a fraud), so it had better matter very much to you what I think about your posts if you want to remain a forum member.

If you can unilaterally end my membership, then do whatever you feel you have to do. You pop up and I guess you feel the need for power or to be bowed down to, maybe some hommage thrown your way, but I'm not the one to do that. I'm in your forum at your whim which is controlled by the providence of God. I'm not breaking any rules. Even you admit that right there in #1 and #2.

QuoteFour. You insinuate that I don't want theist members in the forum. Also wrong. Go ahead and PM any of the moderators or members here and ask them what my stance on theist members is. Another failed attempt by you to mischaracterize me or my own motives.

Now, what you need to do is prove to me that I've mischaracterized you. If you can do that, then I'll change my opinion of you. So far, all you've done is pretend as if you're interested so we'll go along with your posts. Do you realize that we also read your blog? It shows what you really think of atheists. It also shows that you're a liar, since you've yet to retract the lies from your December 29 post, which I called you out on in this forum. http://thebelieversrevolt.blogspot.com/2011/12/happy-atheist-forum-cant-hang.html

Oh, puhleez. That is so two-months ago. As for your opinion of me; I seriously doubt that's ever going to change. As to me being a fraud. I can't even figure out what you're talking about. Fraud in what way?

QuoteGet your act together Edward, and start being up front. My guess is that all you want to do is build up all of the criticisms that we have against your religion so that you can use them as fodder for your forum and book. That's fine, because we are more than happy to provide criticism of it. Just admit that's all you want to begin with. Keep trying to bullshit your way through and you'll find it rough going.

Hmmm. Well, I am trying to get your criticisms so I can fix problems in my own thinking, and sure, I'm dedicated to ending the atheistic influence in society, so I guess that is kind of an information gathering tactic. But I didn't think that was covert in any way. I think most people know where I stand on atheism.

In this case, however, I wanted this creed to be torn to shreds by atheists so that before I chisel it in stone, I have had to think through it very carefully. It is the salvation creed of Veridicanism, so it has to be right. And if I really want undiluted caustic opinions, I have to address atheists, not Christians. Christians would have just glossed over it. I posted it here for discussion, because Raving Atheists, wouldn't have even talked about it, they would have just made vulgar references about me. I have already been in Thinking Atheist for a bit, and I'm trying to let my posts in there cool off, and they don't have a dedicated "religion" board. You guys are fairly moderate and have a religion board. I could have posted it in CFI, I suppose. But again, they don't have a religion board.

That's as honest as I think I can be.