News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Christians for a Moral America ~gag~ is attacking Peter Jackson's Hobbit

Started by IcyBabe, December 29, 2011, 07:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

IcyBabe

I quote a sign I saw once on an Anti Westboro Baptist church protester's photo.

Drink the Kool-Aid already

Tank

Quote from: IcyBabe on December 29, 2011, 07:54:47 PM
I quote a sign I saw once on an Anti Westboro Baptist church protester's photo.  Drink the Kool-Aid already
I have seen that but it's significance eluded me.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Stevil

It does have a good point though.
These polarised Good Vs Evil movies are rubbish, they lead right into the hands of theistic garbage.
We need more movies and shows that blur these lines.
XMen is good as you get to see that Magneto and Professor X are on the same side but have different philosophy, not evil, but fighting a war of survival.
Heroes also made it difficult to work out who was bad.

We often take this movie BS into real world scenarios, Osama, Saddam etc were evil and the good American's were justified in war to fight Evil.

Asmodean

Quote from: Stevil on December 29, 2011, 08:17:15 PM
We often take this movie BS into real world scenarios, Osama, Saddam etc were evil and the good American's were justified in war to fight Evil.

Any outside observers here who subscribe to the USA being "good"?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

squidfetish

Quote from: Asmodean on December 29, 2011, 08:57:38 PM

Nope.  ;D

These fundie idiots need to take a good look at Leviticus among other books that Jesus the jew was passing off as god's word.  Physicians, heal thyselves.  ::)
reptilian overlord

Recusant

Quote from: Tank on December 29, 2011, 07:56:15 PM
Quote from: IcyBabe on December 29, 2011, 07:54:47 PM
I quote a sign I saw once on an Anti Westboro Baptist church protester's photo.  Drink the Kool-Aid already
I have seen that but it's significance eluded me.

"Drinking the Kool-Aid"
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Gawen

Of course, the magic done before the trial, beating and subsequent crucifixion of a Jew...and then...the magic he invokes to never really sacrifice himself and stay alive is a great thing of non fiction to read.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Sweetdeath

Not I.
I have thought for the longest time how evil and hypocritical America is. They try to justify all their actions as patriotic. How is that any different from muslim extremists? e_e
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

There are many people from the USA that I like, but I can't say that I'd want to live there any time soon. I'm also not naive enough to believe that all of their foreign policy is as noble as they'd like to claim, but, then again, how many countries' are?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

MariaEvri

I wont read the website cayuse I have a bad habit of teeth grinding
anyway what I find extremely ironic is that tolkien was a christian himself, his stories are the classical good vs evil and he even used some christian references in his books
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

envilid

Quote from: MariaEvri on December 30, 2011, 02:59:24 PM
I wont read the website cayuse I have a bad habit of teeth grinding
anyway what I find extremely ironic is that tolkien was a christian himself, his stories are the classical good vs evil and he even used some christian references in his books

Since you didn't read the article I will point out that they say, "Jackson being the self-proclaimed Atheist he is obviously doesn't want to present this movie in the way it was meant by Tolkien.".

They also say that they brought everyone from 'Middle-earth' back from the dead, but this is a freaking prequel gah.

Also I'm American and if I didn't have family here I would get out ASAP. I have a feeling of bad things for our country very soon, especially with NDAA passing and the possibility that PIPA and SOPA will pass. Though the last two affects everyone.
Question everything.

Asmodean

Quote from: envilid on December 30, 2011, 04:38:56 PM
Also I'm American and if I didn't have family here I would get out ASAP. I have a feeling of bad things for our country very soon, especially with NDAA passing and the possibility that PIPA and SOPA will pass. Though the last two affects everyone.
Which calls me to widen my question a little:

Any inside observers here who think the USA* is good, possibly even have a foam number one finger stashed away somewhere?

*Refers not only to the US government, but the standards of living, safety etc. etc. The whole package, in other words.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.