News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Why God? - Light's view.

Started by Light, December 23, 2011, 03:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 04:09:26 AM
Quote from: Whitney on December 24, 2011, 01:12:57 AM
Quote from: Light on December 23, 2011, 04:43:20 PM

Making stuff up has nothing to do with my original point.   It's the acknowledgement on the limits of knowledge, which can then lead people to believe in a concept such as God.    

I think it is folly to shove god into knowledge gaps...it doesn't make god any more real and doesn't make us any more knowledgeable.

I don't think it is arrogant at all for science to try to find the answers to everything...it is arrogant to claim to have special knowledge of what can and cannot be known

Really? everything?  So science you believe can one day answer something like why you are who you are?  There's going to be a mathematical formula one day that completely describes Whitney?

I said TRY....I didn't say what was actually achievable

Asmodean

Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 04:34:55 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on December 24, 2011, 04:28:03 AM
Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 04:15:22 AM
Well, they're pretty much founded on math, so....
...How is math the founding block of psychology? History? Linguistics?

It's not.  But, I don't see any of those disciplines leading to some all-encompassing theory to describe any individual either.   I think a lot of truth about one's self is a personal discovery, not something that can every be fully described by some simple theory or book.
If you want to understand something about astronomy, such as the process of creation of this universe, you will need an understanding of physics, and therefore mathematics.

If you want to understand why a person is who and what (s)he is, you will need an understanding of medicine, therein genetics and psychology.

You don't need an all-encompassing theory based on a single school of science - you can use compound theories, with foundations in several scientific disciplines to explain something that crosses them as accurately as possible.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Light

Quote from: Asmodean on December 24, 2011, 04:39:38 AM
If you want to understand why a person is who and what (s)he is, you will need an understanding of medicine, therein genetics and psychology.

Ok.  Or, you could just ask them about themselves.  That works too a lot of times.....

Asmodean

Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 04:42:15 AM
Ok.  Or, you could just ask them about themselves.  That works too a lot of times.....
Yes. Then they will usually tell you something along the lines of:

"I am the sum of my parts", where parts are genetics, life experiences and the like.

OR they can start spouting some drivel about how some obscure deity made them that way... Bullshit, of course.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Light

Quote from: Asmodean on December 24, 2011, 04:44:50 AM
Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 04:42:15 AM
Yes. Then they will usually tell you something along the lines of:

"I am the sum of my parts", where parts are genetics, life experiences and the like.

OR they can start spouting some drivel about how some obscure deity made them that way... Bullshit, of course.

You're looking too deep into my comment.  I'm talking about simple questions, like, 'what's your favorite hobby'.  So then you know something about them.  Doesn't necessarily have to be looking for an absolute truth. 

Asmodean

Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 04:48:52 AM
You're looking too deep into my comment.  I'm talking about simple questions, like, 'what's your favorite hobby'.  So then you know something about them.  Doesn't necessarily have to be looking for an absolute truth. 
Oh, that! Well, when you ask a question where the accuracy of the answer given is of little to no consequence and/or interest to you, you can just consider trusting that the answer provided is accurate. Of course, everyone lies, so once in a while that Star Wars fan you meet in a cafe and later sleep with will turn out to hate Star Wars.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Light

hehe.  I don't where this convo is going anymore.

Gawen

Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 04:58:47 AM
hehe.  I don't where this convo is going anymore.
Well, let's see. Where did it start...

You said you know a lot of things. Then alluded to not being able to know everything. And from not knowing everything, a realization to you, prompts you to...contradict yourself by saying:

QuoteThis realization alone points me to the belief that there must of been an intelligent force behind the creation of the universe, call it God.

QuoteAgreed though...practicing skepticism can be beneficial.

So far, I have not seen the benefit of your skepticism.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

xSilverPhinx

Making stuff up has nothing to do with my original point.   It's the acknowledgement on the limits of knowledge, which can then lead people to believe in a concept such as God.     

This is a manipulative tactic. Acknowledge ignorance (everybody can be said to be ignorant in some things, some people more than others), and then accept a non testable, non measurable idea that is god created everything. That's just wrong. One phrase that I've used more than once when talking to a theist is that I will base my beliefs on what I know, not on what I don't. ::)

Sorry, but that fails. The right way is the other way round, show why people should believe in a god based on something more substantial. Pushing ignorance is a way to get people to succumb to peer pressure and authority, because then you're more likely to acknowledge false authorities and trust what they say, even if you don't see it yourself.

You probably aren't being intentionally manipulative, but just thought I'd throw that out there, hopefully causing you to reflect on your approach a bit more.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

Making stuff up has nothing to do with my original point.   It's the acknowledgement on the limits of knowledge, which can then lead people to believe in a concept such as God.    

You acknowledge the limits of knowledge but still demand answers.
You don't have to make something up yourself, there are plenty of made up answers, just grab one off the shelf.  These answers may feel right, they were made up by people with the same fears and needs for solace, that's why they feel right.  If many people are willing to accept the existence of a protective god it does nothing to prove god, it just illustrates a characteristic of human nature.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 25, 2011, 04:32:10 AM

You acknowledge the limits of knowledge but still demand answers.
{snip}
And Light is quite happy to make up wild arse assertions about what happens beyond his own stated limits of knowledge! The very definition of hypocrisy. If one acknowledges there is a limit to knowledge the only rational/reasonable/possible world view is that of a defacto atheist (6 on the Dawkins scale).
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.