News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Quantum Levitation

Started by wildfire_emissary, October 19, 2011, 03:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildfire_emissary

Is the science behind this true? I am so ignorant of quantum physics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6AAhTw7RA
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

Crow

Retired member.

Attila

Awesome! Thanks for that.
Attila

Tank

One could say it's super cool!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Attila

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: wildfire_emissary on October 19, 2011, 03:26:08 PM
Is the science behind this true?

Well, what does the evidence tell you?  ;) I was watching a TV programme the other day showing the same thing - yes it's real science with demonstrable effects.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on October 24, 2011, 12:42:02 AM

Well, what does the evidence tell you?  ;) I was watching a TV programme the other day showing the same thing - yes it's real science with demonstrable effects.

This is phenomenal.  A few years ago someone might have scoffed at the possibility of such a thing, yet there it is (assuming it has not been super-photo-shopped, which I assume it has not - looks pretty real).  Some things that seem "supernatural" turn out to have quite natural explanations - we just don't always know about them yet.

Attila

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 24, 2011, 02:33:21 AM
Some things that seem "supernatural" turn out to have quite natural explanations - we just don't always know about them yet.
Change the "some" to "all" and we can sign the agreement and go home. Our work is done.  :)

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 24, 2011, 02:33:21 AM
Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on October 24, 2011, 12:42:02 AM

This is phenomenal.  A few years ago someone might have scoffed at the possibility of such a thing, yet there it is (assuming it has not been super-photo-shopped, which I assume it has not - looks pretty real).  Some things that seem "supernatural" turn out to have quite natural explanations - we just don't always know about them yet.

Well there is a scientific explanation for the levitation (don't ask me to explain, I'm not a scientist) which is how they managed to levitate the object in the first place. This was never something that looked supernatural because it was designed in an experiment. I think it doesn't work unless the object is cooled to the temperature of liquid nitrogen and somehow gains superconductivity which locks it in place to the magnet.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty