News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

good films for atheists

Started by Too Few Lions, October 14, 2011, 01:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too Few Lions

I'm a bit of a serious film watcher (like I have proper addiction problems with watching films, pretty much all from around 1965-1979). Just thought I might start a thread to suggest a few films that other atheists might enjoy watching, and other people might also suggest some irreligious films they like watching, that I could then watch! You know, anything blasphemous, sacreligious, philosophical or satanic, things the god squad wouldn't like you to watch.

Thought I'd start with one of my favourite films, 'Greaser's Palace' from 1972, where Jesus comes back to Earth, as an entertainer in the Wild West!  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inas0XMCdWA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWF1d9XLXck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVNPyv2QME0&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL8E3B70A091B71EDC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moT2I1aM3F4&feature=related

Recusant

Man, I love Greaser's Palace! There was a cool old repertory cinema at which I sometimes used to start my weekends. I would ride my bike to the show, then carry on with going to a party or whatever. One time I saw a double bill of El Topo and Greaser's Palace. That was one of my favorites. Another double  bill that I remember fondly; A Clockwork Orange and O Lucky Man! One more; Days of Heaven and The Duellists. I recommend all of these films, not necessarily as an atheist, but as one who appreciates cinema.

Opening song from O Lucky Man! sung by Alan Price
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Crow

Retired member.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Recusant on October 15, 2011, 06:33:38 AM
Man, I love Greaser's Palace! There was a cool old repertory cinema at which I sometimes used to start my weekends. I would ride my bike to the show, then carry on with going to a party or whatever. One time I saw a double bill of El Topo and Greaser's Palace. That was one of my favorites. Another double  bill that I remember fondly; A Clockwork Orange and O Lucky Man! One more; Days of Heaven and The Duellists. I recommend all of these films, not necessarily as an atheist, but as one who appreciates cinema.

Opening song from O Lucky Man! sung by Alan Price
I'm glad someone else has seen and loves 'Greaser's Palace'. I'd love to see it on the big screen, even better in a double bill with some Jodorowski. I'll have to check out 'The Duellists', i've seen the other ones you've just mentioned. thanks

xSilverPhinx

Just the other day I watched Agora...it was ok.

QuoteAgora is a 2009 Spanish historical drama film directed by Alejandro Amenábar and written by Amenábar and Mateo Gil. The biopic stars Rachel Weisz as Hypatia, a female mathematician, philosopher and astronomer in 4th century Roman Egypt who investigates the flaws of the geocentric Ptolemaic system and the heliocentric model that challenges it. Surrounded by religious turmoil and social unrest, Hypatia struggles to save the knowledge of classical antiquity from destruction.

The story uses historical fiction to promote a "conflict thesis" interpretation of the relationship between religion and science amidst the decline of Greco-Roman polytheism and the Christianization of the Roman empire. The title of the film takes its name from the agora, a gathering place in ancient Greece, similar to the Roman forum.

If atheists were religious, then Hypatia would be a martyr :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Too Few Lions

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 07, 2011, 05:51:08 AM
Just the other day I watched Agora...it was ok.

QuoteAgora is a 2009 Spanish historical drama film directed by Alejandro Amenábar and written by Amenábar and Mateo Gil. The biopic stars Rachel Weisz as Hypatia, a female mathematician, philosopher and astronomer in 4th century Roman Egypt who investigates the flaws of the geocentric Ptolemaic system and the heliocentric model that challenges it. Surrounded by religious turmoil and social unrest, Hypatia struggles to save the knowledge of classical antiquity from destruction.

The story uses historical fiction to promote a "conflict thesis" interpretation of the relationship between religion and science amidst the decline of Greco-Roman polytheism and the Christianization of the Roman empire. The title of the film takes its name from the agora, a gathering place in ancient Greece, similar to the Roman forum.

If atheists were religious, then Hypatia would be a martyr :P
yeah, I quite liked that film, though I didn't buy some of the claims it made about Hypatia's views on the heliocentric model (I don't think there's any historical evidence to back it up).

I remember it caused a bit of controversy on its release because some Christians thought it portrayed 4th century Christians in a bad light. Given the destruction they wrought on Greek and Roman science and learning, and the Dark Ages that followed, I thought the film was actually quite reserved in its portrayal of the Christians.