News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tom62

Just got back from my vacation in Bavaria. Spent some quality time with my wife and managed to relax a lot (no Internet connection ;))  Yesterday's drive back home however was an ordeal. "Millions" of cars on the road, one traffic jam  and road works after another. Lesson learned: Never drive long distances in Germany on Fridays and in the weekends.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 18, 2016, 12:25:01 AM
It's only 20:30, but...

My wife finds it odd that I go to bed when I'm tiered. My 'bed time' ranges from 20:30 to 22:30. She seems to see going to bed before midnight as some sort of defeat. I think the root of this is bound up with her relationship with her mother who insisted her bed time was 19:00 whether she was tiered or not.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on July 18, 2016, 08:50:25 AM

My wife finds it odd that I go to bed when I'm tiered. My 'bed time' ranges from 20:30 to 22:30. She seems to see going to bed before midnight as some sort of defeat. I think the root of this is bound up with her relationship with her mother who insisted her bed time was 19:00 whether she was tiered or not.

How many tiers have you got, Tank?

;)

I also go to bed when I feel like it, but I live alone.

Since I spend a lot of time reading might as well read under the duvet in the winter, saves on energy!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Gloucester on July 18, 2016, 08:55:10 AM

How many tiers have you got, Tank?

;)

Lots, Onions have layers, Ogres have layers, Tanks have layers,... You get it? They all have layers.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Asmodean

Also, Asmos. They too get laid on regular basis.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

So apparently, WikiLeaks are preparing to leak over one hundred thousand documents related to Turkish power structure...

...I wonder how many of those are supposed to be available to general public? In any case, I consider WikiLeaks a bunch of anarchist assholes, and assholes do what assholes do. Also, those who yell "I have the right to know" loudest, are often the same people who do not, in fact, have that right any more than any other member of the "grey masses." Show me your security clearance and I'll share my secrets with you - but only the ones I have to.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Quote from: Asmodean on July 18, 2016, 02:42:16 PM
So apparently, WikiLeaks are preparing to leak over one hundred thousand documents related to Turkish power structure...

...I wonder how many of those are supposed to be available to general public? In any case, I consider WikiLeaks a bunch of anarchist assholes, and assholes do what assholes do. Also, those who yell "I have the right to know" loudest, are often the same people who do not, in fact, have that right any more than any other member of the "grey masses." Show me your security clearance and I'll share my secrets with you - but only the ones I have to.

Yup, secrets that aren't any longer can also endanger the innocent.

All for free speech and FoI providing one uses it in a responsible (to humanity as a whole) way.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: Tom62 on July 18, 2016, 06:22:29 AM
Just got back from my vacation in Bavaria. Spent some quality time with my wife and managed to relax a lot (no Internet connection ;))  Yesterday's drive back home however was an ordeal. "Millions" of cars on the road, one traffic jam  and road works after another. Lesson learned: Never drive long distances in Germany on Fridays and in the weekends.
It's good to have you back, Tom62:hug:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Isn't that part of the fun? ;) :P

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on July 18, 2016, 08:50:25 AM

I used to stay up all night when I was in my early twenties but these days I just don't have that kind of energy anymore.  :sad sigh: It's like all those hours I spent awake when I should have been asleep have finally caught up with me, and nowadays at 23:00 I'm usually in deep slumber. Now, if I don't have to wake up early the next morning it's a different story. :grin:

Tom62

Quote from: Magdalena on July 18, 2016, 06:44:58 PM
It's good to have you back, Tom62:hug:

Thank you  :). It is good to be back.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tom62

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 18, 2016, 10:51:00 PM

Isn't that part of the fun? ;) :P

Not when my wife is driving  ;)
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

Quote from: Gloucester on July 18, 2016, 03:57:15 PM
All for free speech and FoI providing one uses it in a responsible (to humanity as a whole) way.
I am not at all for total freedom of information. Industrial espionage can cost me money. State espionage can cost me a few freedoms. The list of potential consequences of certain kinds of information flowing completely freely at any level is long and nasty.

Free speech in the sense of freedom of self-expression..? Absolutely, go for it! Free speech as in revealing something that relates to my person, directly or indirectly, without my consent? Fuck that.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

Just saw an "authority" on the Science Channel tell all us hoi polloi about this interesting phenomenon called frisson (click the little speaker button next to the word to hear it). OK, that's fine--it doesn't hurt for people to expand their vocabularies. Except this clown repeatedly pronounced it "frizzion." He clearly had never heard of the word let alone having heard it before, and apparently nobody involved in creating the little infoblurb had either. You'd think you'd go to the trouble of finding out how to pronounce this word that you've just learned, and are preparing to tell the public about.  :headshake:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken