News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Siz on February 18, 2016, 12:03:36 AM

But this guy's delusion is off the chart. Most people's delusions are at least... credible. Aren't they? Isn't mine? Yours? ...Asmo's?

I live in America -- his delusions seemed fairly standard to me.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: Crow on February 17, 2016, 11:44:37 PM
Quote from: Siz on February 17, 2016, 09:38:55 PM
I wonder whatever happened to that member who was part of a group of 'Smurfs' who had unlocked the humanity-saving secrets of the (original??) bible? Seer was it? I liked the story he brought with him, but did anyone else think he was completely, deluded - in the psychiatric sense? Did these 'Smurfs' really exist, or am I just too cynical?

Yup but I think most people are in some form or another.

But this guy's delusion is off the chart. Most people's delusions are at least... credible. Aren't they? Isn't mine? Yours? ...Asmo's?
Yes, I think some delusions are off the chart and some are more credible.
Credible ones: Asmo is god, I'm a witch.
Not so credible ones: You look like George Clooney.
:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

Quote from: Magdalena on February 18, 2016, 02:47:55 AM
Quote from: Crow on February 17, 2016, 11:44:37 PM
Quote from: Siz on February 17, 2016, 09:38:55 PM
I wonder whatever happened to that member who was part of a group of 'Smurfs' who had unlocked the humanity-saving secrets of the (original??) bible? Seer was it? I liked the story he brought with him, but did anyone else think he was completely, deluded - in the psychiatric sense? Did these 'Smurfs' really exist, or am I just too cynical?

Yup but I think most people are in some form or another.

Yes, I think some delusions are off the chart and some are more credible.
Credible ones: Asmo is god, I'm a witch.
Not so credible ones: You look like George Clooney.
:grin:

Touchè!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Siz

Quote from: Crow on February 18, 2016, 12:30:50 AM

Anyone who thinks they know "truths" of some sort or even think "truths" of some sort even exist are more than a few notches up the scales of delusion.

Small notches perhaps, like millimeters on a metre rule - amounting to a couple of centimetres of errant or misguided reasoning. But the kind of delusion we're talking about for Old Seer is technically psychosis... at least 3 feet long...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Biggus Dickus

Roughly two more hours in the office to go and then I'm out of here...heading north to visit the daughter and son-in-law. Hope to do some ice fishing, hit the slopes and maybe get into an all out snowball fight with the locals.

See you lovely folks next week, Adios Muchachos!
:postoday:
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Firebird

Quote from: Siz on February 18, 2016, 09:14:13 AM

Anyone who thinks they know "truths" of some sort or even think "truths" of some sort even exist are more than a few notches up the scales of delusion.

Small notches perhaps, like millimeters on a metre rule - amounting to a couple of centimetres of errant or misguided reasoning. But the kind of delusion we're talking about for Old Seer is technically psychosis... at least 3 feet long...

That was a while ago, wasn't it? I remember Amicale quizzing him a bit because she was concerned he might be schizo. All the mysterious passing of messages between people who never actually met each other was especially interesting.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Crow

Quote from: Firebird on February 18, 2016, 10:44:47 PM
Quote from: Siz on February 18, 2016, 09:14:13 AM

That was a while ago, wasn't it? I remember Amicale quizzing him a bit because she was concerned he might be schizo. All the mysterious passing of messages between people who never actually met each other was especially interesting.

I'd forgotten all about that.
Retired member.

Firebird

It's here, but I think a bunch of his posts are missing. Probably victims of the Great Crash
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Siz

Damn, that Tank - been pimping my profile again...

Tank

Quote from: Siz on February 19, 2016, 01:05:47 PM
Damn, that Tank - been pimping my profile again...
It's been there a while. I wondered when you'd notice  :snicker:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Pasta Chick

It seems very likely that my kidneys don't like ibuprofen and the like. Which means that if Tylenol doesn't work, I need opioids. Whee?

Velma

Quote from: Pasta Chick on February 19, 2016, 08:27:04 PM
It seems very likely that my kidneys don't like ibuprofen and the like. Which means that if Tylenol doesn't work, I need opioids. Whee?
Hope the Tylenol works. I also hope you can find a doctor to prescribe them if needed. The DEA has decided that opiods are evil and have gone overboard enforcing laws and regulations in some areas of the country. It has made some doctors and pharmacists a bit skiddish about opiods.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Crow

Quote from: Velma on February 20, 2016, 12:09:08 AM
Hope the Tylenol works. I also hope you can find a doctor to prescribe them if needed. The DEA has decided that opiods are evil and have gone overboard enforcing laws and regulations in some areas of the country. It has made some doctors and pharmacists a bit skiddish about opiods.

Ahh so that's your game. You don't really have all those woes do you! You are a smackhead hunting down your next fix on insurance. Clever, very clever.

* Note to insurance companies that may be lurking, that was a joke.
Retired member.

Guardian85

Speaking of medical issues, my ankle (the one i fucked up way back when) has gotten so bad now that I went and bought a brace for it and scheduled a doctors appointment.
Really starting to worry this might become something chronic.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-