News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Budhorse4 on November 18, 2015, 12:45:08 AM
She is going to let me video tape it and email it to her for 75% credit

:headshake:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 18, 2015, 12:37:50 AM
Quote from: Tank on November 17, 2015, 09:31:07 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on November 17, 2015, 07:03:59 PM
My speech professor literally tried to tell me to cancel my trip because we have a tiny speech to do on the 24th. Wat.
What a twat!!!!
Out of curiosity, what's worse, a 'twit' or a 'twat'?  :notsure:

In the US, calling somebody a "twat" is generally worse than calling them a "twit." In the UK, from my understanding, they're more or less equivalent, though have somewhat different connotations.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

Buddy, you are to visit England, right?  You will be exposed to some different language styles, right?  There is surely some merit in having been exposed to the different language characteristics that may very well expand your knowledge of speech.  I propose that your Prof should appreciate the rare opportunity that you have.

OldGit

Quite right.  Think how her tutor will feel when she comes back speaking proper English. :D

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 18, 2015, 12:37:50 AM
Quote from: Tank on November 17, 2015, 09:31:07 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on November 17, 2015, 07:03:59 PM
My speech professor literally tried to tell me to cancel my trip because we have a tiny speech to do on the 24th. Wat.
What a twat!!!!

Out of curiosity, what's worse, a 'twit' or a 'twat'?  :notsure:
They are both mild forms of insult based on stupid behaviour. Twit has a more lackadaisical connotation while Twat is more along the lines of the person should know better than to behave that way.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on November 18, 2015, 01:22:10 AM
In the US, calling somebody a "twat" is generally worse than calling them a "twit." In the UK, from my understanding, they're more or less equivalent, though have somewhat different connotations.

Quote from: Tank on November 18, 2015, 12:39:03 PM
They are both mild forms of insult based on stupid behaviour. Twit has a more lackadaisical connotation while Twat is more along the lines of the person should know better than to behave that way.

Cool.  :P Some might disagree but I think that one attains the highest form of communicative competence when one knows how to swear, curse or insult adequately in another language.

OldGit

I agree.  ;)  I assume you can do this in English and Portuguese.  Any others?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on November 19, 2015, 09:30:48 AM
I agree.  ;)  I assume you can do this in English and Portuguese.  Any others?

Only in those two, I'm afraid.  :blahblah:

Icarus

I hesitatingly agree with xSP.  When I was a kid I lived in a neighborhood composed largely of Cubans who spoke Spanish. Me, a gringo, did not know what the hell they were saying. They agreed to teach me one word a day which I was obligated to use, at any opportunity, with a Spanish speaking person.  You can guess what words they taught me.   I became fluent in Spanish profanity and also severely chastised by Spanish speaking adults.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on November 20, 2015, 02:21:29 AM
You can guess what words they taught me.

There are two words for that in Portuguese that aptly describe that sort of shenanigan: sacanagem or sacanice  :devil:

It seems to me that profanities are usually what kids are most interested in learning first, either that or it's just something they pick up on quicker.  :smilenod:

Crow

So the cold weather is finally here. That was a bit of a shock to the system walking outside it felt mild earlier this morning and still has a long way to drop if it is going to hit -1 today.
Retired member.

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 20, 2015, 02:42:15 AMIt seems to me that profanities are usually what kids are most interested in learning first, either that or it's just something they pick up on quicker.  :smilenod:

There's a blog all about swearing (mostly about swearing and profanity in English): Strong Language: A Sweary Blog About Swearing
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on November 20, 2015, 05:41:00 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 20, 2015, 02:42:15 AMIt seems to me that profanities are usually what kids are most interested in learning first, either that or it's just something they pick up on quicker.  :smilenod:

There's a blog all about swearing (mostly about swearing and profanity in English): Strong Language: A Sweary Blog About Swearing

Bookmarked.  :grin:

:notsure: Where has Bruno gone, by the way? 

Siz

Siz should learn to put a password on his phone

Buddy

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.