News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachdragon

My apologies for not being around lately.  Work life has been nutty and at home I promised to do a cross stitch for charity and it's kicking my butt...I've been dedicating a lot of time to it to get it out of my life forever, LOL.  I promise to post more. 

That and I went to the carnival that is across the street from my job today.  Nothing like a corn dog and fresh begniets for lunch!

Buddy

Mark my words. One day, I will go to Iceland.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

OldGit

Will you be able to understand a little Icelandic via Swedish?  Yes, I know you can all speak English.

Buddy

Quote from: OldGit on June 08, 2012, 06:43:46 PM
Will you be able to understand a little Icelandic via Swedish?  Yes, I know you can all speak English.

I don't really know. Icelandic is so weird, at least to me. That and I have never paid much attention to the language itself, I was to busy drooling over the landscape. Icelandic would be fun to learn though. New summer project!
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

You'd understand some, but not that much.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Firebird

I think I read somewhere that it's the hardest language to learn. Not that I'm one to talk; even Spanish was too much for me.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Buddy

Quote from: Firebird on June 08, 2012, 09:29:49 PM
I think I read somewhere that it's the hardest language to learn. Not that I'm one to talk; even Spanish was too much for me.

I heard Danish and Mandarin Chinese were the hardest, but I am sure Icelandic is up on that list.

Siz

I just had a p.m reply from TFL.

He's alive and well and leading the happy hippy life in his camper van - currently in Devon (and he passed his 40th HAFless - poor little monkey... :'()

I think he'll be stopping by soon to say hello when he plugs himself back into the matrix.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Asmodean

Is there even such a thing as "the hardest language to learn"?

Does that not depend on one's background and talents? For instance, for someone who already speaks a language of a given language (sub-) family, learning another language of the same family would normally be easier than for someone who only knows unrelated languages.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 08, 2012, 05:09:20 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 08, 2012, 08:19:15 AM
In the mean time we are both going to 'Weight Watchers' :(

I used the online Weight Watchers program after I had wee man. I really liked it, actually. It seems like the most balanced approach out of all of the mainstream weightloss programs. When I was on it, I never really felt like I was starving and it helped me get back to my pre-pregnancy weight way sooner than I would have on my own. Hopefully it won't be too bad for you guys. The program does allow for the occasional treat. :)  
We'll see. I suspect my wife will have to be dragged kicking and screaming to WW
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on June 08, 2012, 10:32:56 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 08, 2012, 05:09:20 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 08, 2012, 08:19:15 AM
In the mean time we are both going to 'Weight Watchers' :(

I used the online Weight Watchers program after I had wee man. I really liked it, actually. It seems like the most balanced approach out of all of the mainstream weightloss programs. When I was on it, I never really felt like I was starving and it helped me get back to my pre-pregnancy weight way sooner than I would have on my own. Hopefully it won't be too bad for you guys. The program does allow for the occasional treat. :)  
We'll see. I suspect my wife will have to be dragged kicking and screaming to WW

Haha, there's always that approach, too.  ;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Buddy

Quote from: Asmodean on June 08, 2012, 10:26:02 PM

Does that not depend on one's background and talents? For instance, for someone who already speaks a language of a given language (sub-) family, learning another language of the same family would normally be easier than for someone who only knows unrelated languages.

Good point. My biggest problem with learning languages is the fact that I cannot roll my tongue, which is important to in many languages. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Budhorse4 on June 08, 2012, 07:01:48 PM
Will you be able to understand a little Icelandic via Swedish?  Yes, I know you can all speak English.

I don't really know. Icelandic is so weird, at least to me. That and I have never paid much attention to the language itself, I was to busy drooling over the landscape. Icelandic would be fun to learn though. New summer project!

Game of Thrones footage?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on June 08, 2012, 10:26:02 PM

I think so too. Some languages are more alien than others, to different people.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Firebird

Quote from: Budhorse4 on June 08, 2012, 11:17:37 PM
Good point. My biggest problem with learning languages is the fact that I cannot roll my tongue, which is important to in many languages. 

Ha, me too. My wife always makes fun of me about that, at which point I roll up my tongue and stick it out at her, since she can't do that :)

Asmo makes a good point, I was mostly thinking of English speakers. Did a little googling and found this list from the US Dept of State. Looks like Japanese is the toughest:

Language Learning Difficulty for English Speakers
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"