News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Member Input - Site Color/Layout/Features

Started by Whitney, April 10, 2008, 06:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Cheers to the admin for creating such a great, warm, embracing place for us atheists lost in the sea of believers!
[Delusions of grandure]No no no, you misunderstand, it's the believers who are lost in the sea of well... ME!  :D
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

I can't remember who or in which thread...but someone asked for rss.  I tried to include an rss mod but got a debug error related to the site's header.  Basically, I need to double check that I installed it correctly.  If I did then I'll just have to wait till phpbb validates the mod for our forum version...the mod was based on a slightly older version of phpbb3.

theTwiz

So, I originally went to make a new thread about this, but found this one instead.  I realize I'm bumping a super-old thread but I figured it would be better than starting a new one.

I was wondering if a darker theme could be made available.  I feel like someone shines a flashlight in my eyes when I tab over to this from other sites/apps.  This is definitely a personal preference thing, so if there isn't much interest I understand.  I'll browse around the phpBB presets to see if there's anything like what I have in mind.

Also, if this gets done please please PLEASE make it left-side poster info.  When I was a lurker for some reason everything was left-side, but as soon as I registered it went right-side and I went :crazy:

edit: wow, Will actually hit pretty close to what I was looking for on the first page, with BlueIce: http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/2342
That, but a little but darker background is pretty much what I was thinking.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "theTwiz"So, I originally went to make a new thread about this, but found this one instead.  I realize I'm bumping a super-old thread but I figured it would be better than starting a new one.

I was wondering if a darker theme could be made available.  I feel like someone shines a flashlight in my eyes when I tab over to this from other sites/apps.  This is definitely a personal preference thing, so if there isn't much interest I understand.  I'll browse around the phpBB presets to see if there's anything like what I have in mind.

Also, if this gets done please please PLEASE make it left-side poster info.  When I was a lurker for some reason everything was left-side, but as soon as I registered it went right-side and I went :)
-Curio

theTwiz

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"You can change it back to left-side if you want to. The Board Preferences tab in the CP has the option to change the Board Style to "prosilver_left". Doesn't do much for the color scheme, but puts avatars and whatnot back on the left.  :)

I should have clarified; I've already done this, I just wanted to make sure the option to have it on the left stayed if there was the implementation of a darker color scheme.  Thank you, though!

kenh

Just remember, if you do any customization, there is a good chance that phpBB upgrades will bork it!  

We use Ajax chat software on our Linux forum and its only viewable to registered members.

Whitney

Quote from: "theTwiz"edit: wow, Will actually hit pretty close to what I was looking for on the first page, with BlueIce: http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/2342
That, but a little but darker background is pretty much what I was thinking.

I don't really have the time to do it right now because there is more to it than just taking the template and throwing it on the website.  I'd actually have to make new icons and stuff to match the layout because some of what is located at the top of the default style is custom.

If I'm going to make a new theme...shouldn't it be completely different instead of just a slightly darker blue?  Like gray or something?

So, anyway, more themes wouldn't be out of the question they just aren't going to happen any time soon.

theTwiz

Quote from: "Whitney"I don't really have the time to do it right now because there is more to it than just taking the template and throwing it on the website.  I'd actually have to make new icons and stuff to match the layout because some of what is located at the top of the default style is custom.

If I'm going to make a new theme...shouldn't it be completely different instead of just a slightly darker blue?  Like gray or something?

So, anyway, more themes wouldn't be out of the question they just aren't going to happen any time soon.

I have exactly zero experience in this sort of thing so I wasn't sure how much went into it.  If the same amount of work goes into only slightly modifying the theme as completely changing it, then yes, I agree that it should be something more different than a darker shade.  I thought maybe only a slight modification might be made easier by copying the current theme, modifying it, and renaming it prosilverv2 or something.  That's basically how I used to create custom skins in games back in the day, but obviously this might be more complex.

Anyway, I am technically adept, just no phpBB experience, so if this (themes) is something you think I might be able to read up on and figure out, let me know.  I'm happy to help.