News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Health and Social Darwinism (Split Topic)

Started by Kylyssa, August 24, 2009, 04:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brizz

Quote from: "Thom Phelps"Brizz, consider me a ditch digger. I'm a good ditch digger and work hard, seven days a week. I get married and have a child. What's wrong with the government (society as a whole) recognizing that I need help on a ditch-digger's income for some essentials, like cheese and butter (which are already subsidized industries), medical care and diapers?

1. No industry should ever be subsidized.
2. If you're working hard seven days a week, you should have more than enough money to live on. I can live off $1000/month no problem.

Whitney

No one should have to work their ass off seven days a week and still not make enough to afford health insurance.

Kylyssa

Quote from: "Brizz"
Quote from: "Thom Phelps"Brizz, consider me a ditch digger. I'm a good ditch digger and work hard, seven days a week. I get married and have a child. What's wrong with the government (society as a whole) recognizing that I need help on a ditch-digger's income for some essentials, like cheese and butter (which are already subsidized industries), medical care and diapers?

1. No industry should ever be subsidized.
2. If you're working hard seven days a week, you should have more than enough money to live on. I can live off $1000/month no problem.

Now subtract $600 per month for family health insurance.  Is $400 a month still enough to pay rent and utilities and buy food?

Do you think that everyone who works deserves a wage which is enough to survive on?  That would be a wage that would allow anyone who worked a minimum of forty hours per week enough to pay for a minimal apartment and utilities, basic groceries, and medical insurance.

Whitney

Quote from: "Kylyssa"Now subtract $600 per month for family health insurance.

If not more than that.  I know my individual coverage through my work was $600/month before they switched to a group based plan....and that included having to pay a co-pay and didn't include dentist/optometrist.

Edit:  The group based plan brought it down to $400...which is still a lot.

Heretical Rants

My whole family is currently living off of $1000/month.

No, I am not insured.

Brizz

Quote from: "Kylyssa"Do you think that everyone who works deserves a wage which is enough to survive on?  That would be a wage that would allow anyone who worked a minimum of forty hours per week enough to pay for a minimal apartment and utilities, basic groceries, and medical insurance.

Yes! Hahahahahaha!!!

That wage is called MINUMUM WAGE! lol

Brizz

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"My whole family is currently living off of $1000/month.

No, I am not insured.

Sucks for you Yankees.....s'all free over here :cool:

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "Brizz"Yes! Hahahahahaha!!!

Yup.

Even in Kansas, where the minimum wage is $2.65, the Federal minimum wage of $7.25 still applies, and can support a healthy life, barring something unfortunate.
QuoteAnd good job with the budget!!
Heh, It would never work out if we didn't already own the house free and clear.

Plus, it's only temporary.

Whitney

Quote from: "Brizz"
Quote from: "Kylyssa"Do you think that everyone who works deserves a wage which is enough to survive on?  That would be a wage that would allow anyone who worked a minimum of forty hours per week enough to pay for a minimal apartment and utilities, basic groceries, and medical insurance.

Yes! Hahahahahaha!!!

Apparently you are in Canada or the UK since you said it's free where you are, but minimum wage is not enough to cover health care in the USA.  So, our minimum wage is not enough to cover minimal necessities (unless you never get sick/hurt and don't have to pay rent or make a house payment...which isn't very many people).

I think the 1,000 a month would be gone or close to it by the time I got done paying rent and utilities even if I lived in a 1 bedroom apartment in a bad part of Dallas.

Heretical Rants

Minimum wage with 40 hour weeks is more than $1200 a month, not $1000.  Where I live it would be more like $1400, and with a 60 hour week that is pushed to a very livable $2000.

Also, there are very few jobs around here that pay only minimum wage, and they mostly hire kids because adults don't work that cheap ;)

QuoteApparently you are in Canada or the UK

He's in Canada.

QuoteI think the 1,000 a month would be gone or close to it by the time I got done paying rent and utilities

People make do.  You can always get a roommate or something.

Quoteeven if I lived in a 1 bedroom apartment in a bad part of Dallas.

A trailer might be cheaper.

After rent+utilities, I judge $100/week for reasonably healthy food.

Eh, you know what?  You're right....

Whitney

ya, minimum wage at 40 hours a week would be $1160 a month before state/fed taxes.  (and if you work for walmart, like many people making min wage, they would make sure you can spend free time with your family by not allowing you to work overtime since they don't want to pay you time and a half)

It's liveable if you don't have to pay for health insurance, have cheap transportation, can find a cheap place to live, have zero debt, and don't buy a lot of fresh meat or fresh produce....safety and health would be luxuries  :verysad:

Brizz

If someone is working full-time at Walmart...they should not live like kings.

And you know what a partner is? It's someone who sucks your dick and pays half the rent :D

iNow

Quote from: "Brizz"So atheists try to get everyone to think like them? To adhere to their system of beliefs? How...familiar :blush:
Can you please describe for me what the "atheist system of beliefs" is? That doesn't make sense.  How is my lack of belief in [strike:719pb1nj]Thor[/strike:719pb1nj] [strike:719pb1nj]Zeus[/strike:719pb1nj] [strike:719pb1nj]Apollo[/strike:719pb1nj] [strike:719pb1nj]Baal[/strike:719pb1nj] [strike:719pb1nj]Poseidon[/strike:719pb1nj] Yahweh a "system of beliefs?"

Perhaps you are thinking of humanism?

If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.  

Quote from: "Brizz"Haha, I love science but I honestly think the world would be better off without medicine.

In the evolutionary sense, the strong will survive and multiply. The weak will die.
Yeah... Because it's simply not possible for evolution to favor intelligence... Intelligence which can treat illnesses.  It's simply not possible that strength and academic ability overlap tremendously when defined in a biological context.  If you really think those thoughts, Brizz, then I humbly request you study the process of evolution a bit more, as evolution is about MUCH more than just physical fitness.  

Further, caring for members of the pack also leads to stronger packs... as evidenced by the fact that group selection was selected for among humans, other primates, as well as non-primate animals... So your suggestion that it is somehow weak or wrong to care for members of our [strike:719pb1nj]pack[/strike:719pb1nj] society is rather lacking.

iNow

Quote from: "Whitney"safety and health would be luxuries  :yay:

Brizz

Quote from: "Brizz"Haha, I love science but I honestly think the world would be better off without medicine.

In the evolutionary sense, the strong will survive and multiply. The weak will die.

Quote from: "iNow"Yeah... Because it's simply not possible for evolution to favor intelligence... Intelligence which can treat illnesses.  It's simply not possible that strength and academic ability overlap tremendously when defined in a biological context.  If you really think those thoughts, Brizz, then I humbly request you study the process of evolution a bit more, as evolution is about MUCH more than just physical fitness.  

Further, caring for members of the pack also leads to stronger packs... as evidenced by the fact that group selection was selected for among humans, other primates, as well as non-primate animals... So your suggestion that it is somehow weak or wrong to care for members of our [strike:1jshu5it]pack[/strike:1jshu5it] society is rather lacking.

Well I have seen gorilla's fold rough leaves and then eat them. It cleans all the worms out of their gut. How awesome is that?
Obviously some medicine is a good thing, but I don't like most of it.

There was a time when I wanted to be a doctor....but I decided against it.

I know evolution is about much more than physical fitness....cavemen didn't work out. It would've been about genetics and high T levels if anything. I agree that you need smart members of the pack....I'm one of them! ;)