Is "feeling good" the ultimate goal of any given human?

Started by Lawand, May 23, 2009, 03:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawand

Humans make choices, and to be able to choose, they -logically- must have a goal, and my question is: do any human have any ultimate goal other than "feeling good"?
For example: religious people work hard any make sacrifices out of believing that they will be rewarded later, a reward which will make them feel good, OTOH atheists try to enjoy their lives out of believing that there is no afterlife, hence this is no reason not to seek feeling good while alive.
And generally, people do whichever they think is the "right thing" because the "right thing" feels good, in the contrary of the "wrong thing".

I hope I was clear enough.

curiosityandthecat

-Curio

PipeBox

You pretty much nailed it.  Humans always do what they want the most whenever they are free to do so.  Some people want to feel altruistic, and they are called selfless when it is clearly themselves who drove them to be "selfless."  I'm not saying this is a bad thing, it's healthy for us.  Can you imagine what life would be like if you always did what you didn't want to do?  I'm not speaking of having conflicting emotions, or when you have difficulty making a choice, or you don't like the choices presented, as you still do what you choose.  We make choices in the way that best serves our own goals.

This isn't to look down on the actions of others or ourselves, it's a simple fact.  Can you imagine a perfect altruist who was compelled beyond their control to never serve their own interests?  That they were literally out of control of their own bodies and could never do what they desired, because they never desired to help people?  No doubt there are some religious people who would claim they are acting not of their own will, but being divinely driven, but I think it's pretty apparent these people want to be "divinely driven".  

No matter how you look at it, you serve your own interests first.  If you protect your family, it is because you want to.  If you want take a bullet for someone, it is because you wanted to more than you did not.  All humans are vain, we just prefer those whose vanity includes helping others.  Society works best if we work together, so that's not surprising, either.  I'm not selfless, my selfishness just happens to include the wellbeing of others.   :D
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

Will

Procreation and survival are generally the main goals, and we only feel good procreating so that our big brains don't get in the way of it. Everything after that is about ego.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

SektionTen

My personal opinion on this is people's actions are driven largely by unconcious processess unless they consciously decide to "step into the driver's seat", so to speak. Not only this, but I feel that people not only act towards their self-interests, but also out of concern and care for others whom they are particularly fond of.

For example, it is clear to me that a man who saves his comrade in combat, the one he went through boot camp with and who was his eternal "blood brother" so to speak, is motivated not by the mental high that comes from doing a good deed, but from his concern for his comrade's welfare. To suggest that concern for a friend is overshadowed by mental "highs" seems highly implausible. Bordering on absurdity.

So... yeah. My 2cents. :cool:

Kylyssa

There are more kinds of feeling good than just physically feeling good.  There are also things that make us emotionally feel good as well.  These are the carrots.

There are also things that feel physically awful or emotionally awful.  These are the sticks.

I'm unashamed to admit I'm a hedonist.  It's a healthy human state to enjoy and seek pleasure in any harmless way one may find it.

SektionTen

Quote from: "Kylyssa"There are more kinds of feeling good than just physically feeling good.

I think you mean, "physical pleasure" and "mental pleasure", but since both are chemical reactions in the brain, I'd say there's only one kind of feeling good. But even if you feel good after helping someone you are emotionally attached to, that doens't mean that "feeling good" was what motivated you. Emotional attachement to a friend is much stronger than a simple "mental high", but ONLY when you help your friend to your own detriment. If it's to your benefit... meh.  :|

Sophus

Not for me. I refuse to believe my purpose in life is to release dopamine into my hypophysial portal.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

PipeBox

It's worth stating that I don't mean to say it's all about the dopamine high.  It's all about serving your own interests.  If those involve you fighting your pleasure centers, then so be it.  It's also worth mentioning that you probably won't get a good feeling taking a bullet for a friend.  But you will be avoiding an outcome you wanted to avert: your friend getting shot.

-- Pindar

Sophus

You mean is the purpose of life to be selfish? I would say so. Every "selfless" action is done for a selfish reason. In fact to demand or expect selflessness, as society of does, is probably the most selfish thing anyone can do. But I see no reason to think of selfishness as a bad thing. Just has a bad rap.

Also I don't think most people seek happiness. I think everyone seeks satisfaction. Many people are only satisfied when they're happy. So they're discontent more frequently.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

PipeBox

Not a bad thing at all about selfishness.  It only makes sense.

I don't know about the last part.  Happiness is a little hard to nail down.  If you mean going to sleep content every night, then it's far different than always smiling in giddiness.  If most people think happiness is living in glee or without conflict, then I reckon most don't look for it and even fewer achieve it.  I enjoy life, even the downs, probably to my detriment, and if that is happy, then I am happy.  If it's something else, well, I'm not happy often then, but it doesn't bother me.   :D

-- Pindar

Sophus

Quote from: "PipeBox"Not a bad thing at all about selfishness.  It only makes sense.

I don't know about the last part.  Happiness is a little hard to nail down.  If you mean going to sleep content every night, then it's far different than always smiling in giddiness.  If most people think happiness is living in glee or without conflict, then I reckon most don't look for it and even fewer achieve it.  I enjoy life, even the downs, probably to my detriment, and if that is happy, then I am happy.  If it's something else, well, I'm not happy often then, but it doesn't bother me.   :D

I see what you're saying. Perhaps you are right. I guess it's just been my personal experience that many of the people I know are only satisfied when they're happy. So they're frequently unhappy. It's not at all charming.

ProRealism

Quote from: "PipeBox"Can you imagine what life would be like if you always did what you didn't want to do?  
Well you can choose the lesser of two evils, neither are things you "want" but one is "less bad" than the other.
Having one of your legs cut off vs both of them.
I see that more as "wanting" to KEEP one of your legs than losing both instead of "I want to LOSE one of my legs"

QuoteThis isn't to look down on the actions of others or ourselves, it's a simple fact.  Can you imagine a perfect altruist who was compelled beyond their control to never serve their own interests?  That they were literally out of control of their own bodies and could never do what they desired, because they never desired to help people?  No doubt there are some religious people who would claim they are acting not of their own will, but being divinely driven, but I think it's pretty apparent these people want to be "divinely driven".  
Of course they do. They get some sense of gratification from doing acts of altruism and by "serving god" but I'm sure there are atheists who do the same for the serving of their own egos rather than a fictitious deity or rather, they're more willing to admit that it's for their own satisfaction than pretending it's for a "higher purpose".

QuoteNo matter how you look at it, you serve your own interests first.  If you protect your family, it is because you want to.  If you want take a bullet for someone, it is because you wanted to more than you did not.  All humans are vain, we just prefer those whose vanity includes helping others.  Society works best if we work together, so that's not surprising, either.  I'm not selfless, my selfishness just happens to include the wellbeing of others.   :D
Although that's true what do we owe the definitions of these words?
I think it's somewhat important to have more universal understandings of words and concepts otherwise we could run up to charity organizations and tell them they're being selfish even if it is technically true.

Heretical Rants

QuoteOf course they do. They get some sense of gratification from doing acts of altruism and by "serving god" but I'm sure there are atheists who do the same for the serving of their own egos rather than a fictitious deity or rather, they're more willing to admit that it's for their own satisfaction than pretending it's for a "higher purpose".

Yes, I enjoy helping people.  I also enjoy trying to ensure the long term survival of my species (in many ways).

What of it?

ProRealism

Quote from: "hobo child"Yes, I enjoy helping people.  I also enjoy trying to ensure the long term survival of my species (in many ways).

What of it?

I think that's "better" than being "good" with the anticipation of reward after death.
If a good deed is it's own reward then you get far more pleasure than someone who thinks "oh only when I die!"

I guess that may explain why so many Christians are jerks...