News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Favourite — HAF Photo Challenge Poll

Started by Recusant, November 07, 2021, 05:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

A marvelous collection of pictures, as usual.  I envy the skill and imaginations of the people who made these pictures.  My favorite is number 20.  I think it stunning.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 25, 2021, 04:03:23 AM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on November 25, 2021, 03:44:43 AM
Congratulations to the two winners, Hermes2015 and Lark.

Lark, I really liked your photo from the Marina of the boats(#12),...the line between the mast and their reflections in the water is perfect!! Very nice!!

Hermes I really liked your picture of the vase, that's a nice looking piece, and I loved the rocks in picture #11 (I voted for that one, but don't tell anyone). Colours are amazing!

Recusant, can you give us some details about the rock formation in picture #13? (Very nice picture as well)

Tank picture #18 is really nice!!

Good job folks!!

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you appreciate the vase. It is an original Ormeaux vase by Rene Lalique, from 1926, and is very dear to me. It is one of the prized vases in my collection of Lalique pieces. Another one is a rare Antilopes vase from 1925, signed by Lalique. I will tell the interesting story of how it came into my possession one day.

Yes, the design and colour of the vase is spectacular, and I look forward to hearing your story about the Antilopes vase. I'm certainly no expert on glassware, but it was a passion of my late mother which she passed down to me and my sisters.
That style of vase is something she would have appreciated.

Quote from: Recusant on November 25, 2021, 05:53:47 AM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on November 25, 2021, 03:44:43 AMRecusant, can you give us some details about the rock formation in picture #13? (Very nice picture as well)

It's Poulnabrone Dolmen in the Burren -- County Clare, Eire. You can find more extensive things online about the Poulnabrone Dolmen but I have a fondness for the Megalithic Portal--it's served me well whilst indulging my fascination with megalithic sites in Europe. Also many of its pages have some fine member photos.

As for the photo, thank you. I couldn't resist tarting it up, which probably wasn't a good idea. The day of drizzle was beautiful in its own way.

Thank you, I enjoyed reading about the Poll na Brón...very interesting. Definitely a place I would like to visit someday!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

hermes2015

I will get around to revealing the (perfectly legal) way I managed to get the Antilopes vase in a few days when things are back to normal with my PC. I've just got my desktop PC back after an upgrade of the CPU cooler to an NZXT Kraken Z73, so will be running some performance tests. It displays the CPU and the GPU temperatures and has had some good reviews:

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

A thought for our next challenge. I follow a FB page 'Crap Wildlife Photography'. Some of the results are hilarious! Maybe we should have a challenge for the worst photo you ever took? The subject must be recognisable so the totally black photo of the inside of your pocket wouldn't be valid. And some element of humour might help. You can also submit a title with the photo if you wish. What do you think?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on December 02, 2021, 10:04:10 AM
A thought for our next challenge. I follow a FB page 'Crap Wildlife Photography'. Some of the results are hilarious! Maybe we should have a challenge for the worst photo you ever took? The subject must be recognisable so the totally black photo of the inside of your pocket wouldn't be valid. And some element of humour might help. You can also submit a title with the photo if you wish. What do you think?

It's a good idea. We should have a bit of fun in December.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

As promised, the story of the Lalique Antilopes vase.

I have had two lucky finds in antique shops. The story of how I bought a ceramic plate by Picasso is for another day. Today, the story of my acquisition of a rare Lalique Antilopes vase is a good example of the value of a sharp eye when one visits antique dealers. My one is the colourless version shown here:

https://www.vinterior.co/home-decor/accessories/vases/large-and-early-rene-lalique-rare-antilopes-vase-in-art-glass-1930s

About twenty years ago I walked past an antique shop during my lunch break. Through the window I spotted a large glass vase near the back of the shop. It was obvious to me that it was a Lalique and expected a very high price tag, but went in to look anyway. I decided to play it cool and slowly wandered around, looking at various items, before approaching the sales person on duty. I told her I was looking for a glass vase as a gift and whether she could suggest anything. She said I should look at the rear of the shop, so I casually strolled there. My heart almost stopped when I saw the price tag of about $20 US! I guess they just weren't very professional and were not aware of the real value of the piece. Needless to say, I carried it as hand baggage, wrapped in many layers of bubble plastic, when I flew home the next day.

This kind of thing does not happen often, but it isn't impossible. It pays to have a bit of basic knowledge of antiques and to be alert when visiting second hand markets and antique shops. Another thing I believe is that one should collect because one loves the objects, not with the goal of making a good investment.
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

^^^
$20.00!
Wow!
That's a great story, hermes2015.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Stalking the rare Lalique like a panther in the antique shop jungle.  :lol: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the story, hermes2015:smokin cool:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Quote from: Icarus on November 26, 2021, 05:19:14 AM
A marvelous collection of pictures, as usual.  I envy the skill and imaginations of the people who made these pictures.  My favorite is number 20.  I think it stunning.

Thank you, Icarus:)

It's the Cliffs of Moher on the west coast of Ireland--the building is O'Brien's Tower, above the Branaunmore sea stack (220 feet tall).
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken