News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Tandem language app

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, May 27, 2021, 02:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

I've been trying to improve my Italian recently (lived there 3 years as a young adult and have forgotten a lot of the language), so I decided to try out Tandem. It's an app where you can hook up with native speakers and talk live. I have one native speaker that I communicate with regularly, but what I have found is that everyone wants to learn English.  So, I end up spending as much time "teaching" English as I do learning Italian.  I'm even communicating with one Farci speaker from south Iran (a young woman, who assures me she will not get in trouble). 

Has anyone else tried any app or program that puts you in contact with native speakers of a language?

Icarus

We once had a member from Pakistan. She did not teach us her language but she was a highly regarded HAF participant who was an educated Christian.  She would have gotten into deep trouble had she been discovered by the Taliban or other hard case groups. 

I once tried to learn to speak Spanish. As a kid I lived in what would now be called a Ghetto.  The community was mostly Spanish or Cuban.  I did learn a few words, including profane words.