News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

generation gap

Started by billy rubin, September 08, 2020, 05:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

my first cellphone waz a landline numbrr tgat went to radio tiwers that broadcast it over the open frequencies. no confidentiality anywhere in the texas panhandle

does anybody remember modems that rean at 48 baud?

thats 0.048k i think

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

How well I remember that sound. Does anyone remember BBSs (Bulletin Board Systems)?
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tank

Quote from: Randy on September 22, 2020, 12:51:34 AM
How well I remember that sound. Does anyone remember BBSs (Bulletin Board Systems)?

On TV?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

Quote from: billy rubin on September 16, 2020, 02:02:12 AM
my first cellphone waz a landline numbrr tgat went to radio tiwers that broadcast it over the open frequencies. no confidentiality anywhere in the texas panhandle

does anybody remember modems that rean at 48 baud?

thats 0.048k i think
My first modern was 1,200 baud. That was in the early eighties. Crazy enough, I still know how to program those darned things with the Heyes command set.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

i remember 1200 baud. it was a breathtaking expansion from the super-fast 600-baud units the guys with the big grants had.

you know, the early 80s are 40 years ago now.

when i was born, 40 years before meant 1916.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

I don't know what you guys are talking about...all I know was my first cellphone was a Nokia brick.

Not much it could do.

I also recall having a yellow walkman. Which was then replaced by a blue discman. After that, a silver 128mb mp3 player. Good times. :tellmemore:

Feels like I've seen so much happen.  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

i was in a bar in guatemala once, a long time ago, and they still had once of these as the working house phone

never saw one before or since

Davin

Looks like the fella wants a kiss.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Randy

It seems that nobody remembers the bulletin board systems. I'd spend hours, unless my connection was lost, surfing those looking for shareware and freeware stuff. Usually a person had only one hour per day so you had to make that hour count.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on October 12, 2020, 09:41:17 PM
Looks like the fella wants a kiss.

:lol:

I also saw a face there!  ;D

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Randy on October 14, 2020, 05:17:23 PM
It seems that nobody remembers the bulletin board systems. I'd spend hours, unless my connection was lost, surfing those looking for shareware and freeware stuff. Usually a person had only one hour per day so you had to make that hour count.

One hour a day?  :o How did people survive at all?  :P

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 14, 2020, 11:45:09 PM
Quote from: Randy on October 14, 2020, 05:17:23 PM

One hour a day?  :o How did people survive at all?  :P

I lived in a small town in southern California as a child, and beyond hiking the hills in the baking desert sun, there were few amenities. At least it was a dry heat. The nearest grocery store was about 8 miles away. For entertainment, we read encyclopedias. :lol: We didn't even have air conditioning in our house, and wouldn't have been able to afford to run it if we had. So, when it was 100F in the shade, we didn't run around outside. There wasn't an internet in the '50s and '60s. Or '70s...

I'm not complaining, just laying out some [ancient] history. :P I'd have to say that having to look things up in an encyclopedia at least made one better informed than visiting Urban Dictionary. It wasn't as deep as wikipedia, either, but you could pretty much trust that written content.

Icarus

Nostalgia appreciated DL.

Dark Lightning