News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Where's my toe?

Started by Bluenose, October 19, 2020, 12:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

G'day HAFers,  I recently visited hospital and it seems I left one of my little toes behind.  Just thought I'd have a whinge, I didn't even have any pain to be able to stoicly endure to show what a brave little soldier I am.  Ripped off!  On a serious note, had some osteo myelitis in that toe from a small ulcer on the bottom of the foot, despite having it regularly dressed by the dialysis nurses and checked out regularly by a podiatrist.  Oh well, sometimes shits are trumps.  Feeling OK and completely mobile, just have to carry around this machine, attached to a suction dressing, for the time being.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

That does suck, so to speak. Dialysis, you say? I was suspecting diabetes, not renal issues. I have early stage renal failure, just for getting old. Not bad, just being monitored. Most of my family didn't live long enough to expose what the geriatric issues for us children would entail.

Icarus

The "little" toe is not nearly as important to walking or balancing as is the great toe.  The loss of the big one would present some problems that would need a new set of practices.

Sorry for your loss Blue. No amputation is a laughing matter.

Bluenose

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 19, 2020, 01:41:11 AM
That does suck, so to speak. Dialysis, you say? I was suspecting diabetes, not renal issues. I have early stage renal failure, just for getting old. Not bad, just being monitored. Most of my family didn't live long enough to expose what the geriatric issues for us children would entail.

Yep diabetes, had it for 25-30 years and is the primary cause of the ulcer.  Renal failure came more recently, about twelve months after my UK trip in 2016.  It was lucky more or less because with the covid protocols at dialysis they picked up the infection in its early stages and although there were bugs in my bloodstream it responded well to the IV antibiotics and had cleared within 12-24 hours of the first infusion also the bugs are/were sensitive to less exotic antibiotics.  Still on IV Keflezoran (antibiotic) three times a week administered after dialysis, so no need for a cannula they just use the dialysis venous line after the wash-back.   All good!

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bluenose

Quote from: Icarus on October 19, 2020, 02:29:22 AM
The "little" toe is not nearly as important to walking or balancing as is the great toe.  The loss of the big one would present some problems that would need a new set of practices.

Sorry for your loss Blue. No amputation is a laughing matter.
Thanks.  On the other hand keeping your sense of humour alive helps keep you alive!

GNU Terry Pratchett

Ecurb Noselrub

Yikes! Hope you fully recover.

Randy

Oh wow, Blue. I'm sorry to hear that.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Magdalena

Quote from: Bluenose on October 19, 2020, 08:00:29 AM
Thanks.  On the other hand keeping your sense of humour alive helps keep you alive!
True.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Quote from: Bluenose on October 19, 2020, 04:06:35 AM

Yep diabetes, had it for 25-30 years and is the primary cause of the ulcer.  Renal failure came more recently, about twelve months after my UK trip in 2016.  It was lucky more or less because with the covid protocols at dialysis they picked up the infection in its early stages and although there were bugs in my bloodstream it responded well to the IV antibiotics and had cleared within 12-24 hours of the first infusion also the bugs are/were sensitive to less exotic antibiotics.  Still on IV Keflezoran (antibiotic) three times a week administered after dialysis, so no need for a cannula they just use the dialysis venous line after the wash-back.   All good!

I really appreciate your description of what sounds like excellent care. While amputation is one of the more dramatic medical procedures, we all have and will have need of mechanics tinkering with the machinery. It's nice to hear of competent work.

Here's to the toe, and to hope you will retain the rest of your appendages in future!  :cheersfortwo:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Damn, that sucks, Bluenose! :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bluenose

Quote from: Recusant on October 19, 2020, 11:21:23 PM
Quote from: Bluenose on October 19, 2020, 04:06:35 AM

I really appreciate your description of what sounds like excellent care. While amputation is one of the more dramatic medical procedures, we all have and will have need of mechanics tinkering with the machinery. It's nice to hear of competent work.

Here's to the toe, and to hope you will retain the rest of your appendages in future!  :cheersfortwo:

I've had the offer of a 3D printed toe, a peg-toe if you like.  Avast!  Upgrades my pirate credentials.   :rofl:

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bluenose

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 21, 2020, 09:06:20 PM
Damn, that sucks, Bluenose! :(

I'm fine, but thanks for the sentiment!

GNU Terry Pratchett