News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Why I'm voting for Biden

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, August 21, 2020, 04:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No one

They will disappear. Like a miracle, one day they will disappear.

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on August 27, 2020, 02:49:05 AM
They will disappear. Like a miracle, one day they will disappear.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

30 percent of americans are perfectly happy with fascism.

been a long time since they had a leader. george wallace? waz the last serious menace that i recall.

i remember all the bumper stickers in 1976 that read

america: love it or leave it

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Bluenose

I think the main problem is as the great Isaac Asimov put it, regarding the USA:

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Bluenose on August 31, 2020, 12:54:37 AM
I think the main problem is as the great Isaac Asimov put it, regarding the USA:

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"

He was onto something there, for certain. One example from my past is from when I was in a training program for Boy Scout leaders, and one of the topics, presented in a "Jeopardy" fashion, was how to treat snakebite. The guy who responded was an MD, but his answer didn't agree with the answer card, and people laughed at him. He looked around like, "WTH?", and I just shared a look with him. I worked in aerospace for 27 years, and a lot of people in that environment were the same way with willful ignorance.

Ecurb Noselrub

One of the primary reasons for anti-intellectualism is the hyper-literalism that many evangelical preachers use in interpreting the Bible. It is read to demand a young earth and no evolution.  This is generally not an issue in the Catholic church and mainline Protestant churches, who generally accept an old earth and evolution, but with the group that supports Trump, it's a big deal. So, when your spiritual leader completely undermines some of the fundamental theories of biology, anthropology, geology, and astrophysics, it's a sure bet that faith in science is going to take big hit all the way around.  Trump, of course, takes anti-intellectualism to the extreme, rarely reading anything.

Icarus

Biden's speech today torched Trump convincingly.  Joe did not stutter, stumble or hesitate.  He talked in a civilized manner and still managed to wipe out some of the bullshit that we saw and heard at the RNC nominating show.  Joe's punch line was: do you feel safer now?   It was most effective.

Lets see what Harris can do to destroy some of the lies that the Trumpers are spewing.  I think that she can handle that chore pretty well.

billy rubin

biden needs to change the newz cycle from riots to covid

if trump can control the headlines by changing the subject, he can win.

biden needs to put trump on the defensive, not run around spending his money trying to debunk whatever trump says that day

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

I am sorely afraid that there are more "deplorables" than there are rational people.   Voter turnout will ultimately determine the outcome   If the orange man can persuade his people to get out the vote, we are doomed.  Let us pray that the Biden people will take heed and turn out in record number at the polling places or with early mail votes.

Taking the alternate view: According to the opinion polls, the Trumpers will insist on voting at the polling places while the anti Trumpers will prefer voting by mail. SO we will have Trump winning at the end of the polling place voting day. That is to being  described as the Red Mirage.  When the mail ballots are then counted, Trump loses.  That is going to be the source of a helluva shitstorm in which Trump claims victory because all those mailed votes are obviously illegal. 

Oh happy day!

Ecurb Noselrub

I'm voting for Biden in person whether I get Covid or not.  I'll take all the precautions, but I'll take the risk because I do not trust the USPS under Trump's henchman and fear that they will do anything necessary to keep mail-in votes from being counted. Nothing is sacred for these criminals.

Icarus

A tip of the hat to you Bruce.  Your vote will be counted despite the far right's fervent desire to negate or prevent it. 

The problem is that a huge majority of the Righties are committed to in person voting.  Meanwhile a huge proportion of Lefties are committed to voteing by mail..................or so the polls have us believe.    If the Trumpers are somehow able to dismiss a sufficient number of absentee votes we are doomed. 

All that is interesting conversation but the real deal is whether the electoral college is in keeping with the popular vote.  It is entirely possible for Trump to lose the popular vote by  many millions and still be elected.

Randy

Perhaps we ought to mask up and go out to the polls. It's less than two months away now. Either way I hope people vote and mail-in ballots are counted. I fear that not many will do a mail-in ballot.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Randy on September 04, 2020, 06:35:40 PM
Perhaps we ought to mask up and go out to the polls. It's less than two months away now. Either way I hope people vote and mail-in ballots are counted. I fear that not many will do a mail-in ballot.

To be on the safe side, people can drop off their mail-in ballots at the county registrar of votes (as I think it's called) or at drop off boxes, if their city has them.  In CA, you can sign up to track your ballot after you drop it off to make sure it's counted. 

It's not as safe as mailing from home, but a lot safer than going to a polling place (esp. if you can count on a long line where you live) in the middle of a pandemic.

My biggest concern now is getting the ballots in time.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

The hot news of the day is about Trumps latest remarks about military people.  This time he has seriously stepped on his dick.  He said that military people who were killed or injured in action are "losers" and "suckers".  I am anxious to hear the reply from Tammy Duckworth.  She is the ex military helicopter pilot who lost her legs in a firefight. 

Biden replied with uncharacteristic anger.  I think that the defecate has impinged on the rotary blade.

billy rubin

this stuff wont affect his base, but ibelieve it will stick with everybody else.

trump has squandered his credibility with petty lies. nobody believes him anymore.

i suspect people are also getting fed up withhis endless controversies. i cant tell because i live in trumps happy land.

does anybody from elsewhere have perspective on that?