Happy Atheist Forum

What are you Eating right now?

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
  • Angry hippies need to smoke cheap weed w/ no seeds
Re: What are you Eating right now?
« Reply #855 on: June 30, 2020, 04:57:12 AM »

How should I spell Piccodillia? Mags will know I suspect.  I do not know but I do like it........It consists of ground beef, raisins, olives, small tomato bits, capers, and tender love and care. Black beans over rice is topped with the onion bits.  Yummmy!!!

No. I'm sorry, Icarus, I've never had that before, but it sounds good.  :yum:

“I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe.” ~Recusant

billy rubin

• humble azpirant to the throne3 of typos
  • i actually do not know what LætusAtheos means
« Reply #856 on: July 01, 2020, 01:56:02 AM »
summer food

back when i wrote computer manuals for IBM, i knew an iranian jew (yes) who was a physicist for some silicon valley tech firm

his wife worked for a pharmaceutical with my wife at the time, and so we spent time at htheir place where his aged iranian mother would cook for us and wait until we belched to show our satisfaction.

anyway, she taught me to take peta bread, cuti open, spred the inside with butter, and layer it with feta cheese and fresh basil leaves.

fantastic warm-weather meal. i've been eatin git for decades now.

i used to libe where they grew basil by the acre. fantasic to smell a five acre field of blooming basil upwind from your house.

anyway, here in coal country basil is old and hard to find. but its around, and you can still eat eat like you lived in isfahan.

my sister lived there, in fact, and in 1979 got an all-expense paid trip from the american embassy in tehran to houston, in a C130.

strange days indeed.

Born without a brain, doctors look inside six years later and are amazed at what they find!

Tank

« Reply #857 on: November 01, 2021, 10:32:46 AM »
I didn't even know Acorns were edible!

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Papasito Bruno

• Deranged Psychopathic Twinkle Toes
  • Save water. Shower together!
« Reply #858 on: November 01, 2021, 06:58:22 PM »
I didn't even know Acorns were edible!

...inhabitants are, as the man once said, 'whores, pimps, gamblers, and sons of bitches,' by which he meant everybody. Had the man looked through another peephole he might have said, 'saints and angels and martyrs and holy men,' and he would have meant the same thing. John Steinbeck

Icarus

• The wise one.
« Reply #859 on: November 02, 2021, 12:47:59 AM »
Acorns is it?  Our distant ancestors may have known about this potential food source.  I recall that long ago in a survival course, I learned that certain acorns are edible and nutritious.  So far I have not needed to use them as a matter of survival.  Sure enough, I have some oak trees in my yard that do deliver some acorns.  The squirrels are pleased and I do not deprive the little rodents of their good fortune.

The nice lady in the video lets us know that harvesting and processing them is a labor intensive pain in the ass.

The only tale that I know about acorns, is as follows: people of lesser means  sometimes have a stroke of luck in which they have an unexpected gain. An expression, probably southern US origin, states; 'Even a blind hog sometimes finds an acorn".  JJ and Billy, not necessarily of meager means, but southerners, and me of course, will have heard that one.

Meanwhile, let us rejoice in the biblical promise: The Lord shall provide.

Tank

« Reply #860 on: November 02, 2021, 11:04:48 AM »
As you say it's a labour intensive pain in the arse for us. But if one has nothing better to do all day but forage and store things for winter it's just what our hunter/gatherer ancestors did. I used to think they were poisonous not that they simply tasted bad.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

No one

« Reply #861 on: November 02, 2021, 01:27:24 PM »
Some very special mushrooms and a RC.

Tank

« Reply #862 on: November 02, 2021, 02:54:46 PM »

Why are you eating a Roman Catholic? Aren't they a bit bitter?

hermes2015

« Reply #863 on: November 02, 2021, 03:10:37 PM »

Why are you eating a Roman Catholic? Aren't they a bit bitter?

:lol:
“Who is to say that pleasure is useless?”
― Charles Eames

No one

« Reply #864 on: November 02, 2021, 03:36:58 PM »
Not if you season them correctly.

Granted, you have to remove both anuses.
Plus, sort of like a wishbone, if you crack one open, and find a brain, it's supposed to be lucky.

billy rubin

« Reply #865 on: November 02, 2021, 05:20:16 PM »
chapattis

my chapattis suck. cant make em puff up. people tell me you have to have a hard wheat flour like durum to do it right, but i live where you csnt find that stuff

maybe i can find it online, like i have to do with miso

Born without a brain, doctors look inside six years later and are amazed at what they find!

Icarus

• The wise one.
« Reply #866 on: November 03, 2021, 05:21:06 AM »
Look for King Arthur flour. I mess around with bread making and have found that brand far better that the standard flours like  General Mills types. KA is of the "hard" variety of flours.  Also makes very good biscuits and pancakes.

billy rubin

« Reply #867 on: November 03, 2021, 01:14:58 PM »
it was king arthur. cant blame the tools after all

appears to be my technique then

but if i call it roti instead of chapatti it turned out okay

billy rubin

« Reply #868 on: November 05, 2021, 01:49:12 AM »
red miso

use it in stews, in soups, in sauces, in whatever. spread it on toast. melt some on eggs maybe. no good on ice cream

unobtainable in appalachia except i can order it online