Happy Atheist Forum

Homo sapiens and Their Cousins

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • infidel barbarian
Re: Homo sapiens and Their Cousins
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2020, 05:09:04 AM »
This could go into the Neanderthal thread, since it has to do with their genetic makeup as much as that of anatomically modern humans, but I think it works better here.

If borne out, this finding means the diagram posted above regarding ancestry and interbreeding events in our family tree will have to be revised. How much modification will be required is the question. It's unclear to me whether the "unknown ancestor" mentioned here is the same group as the "superarchaics" in that story or not.

"Mystery ancestor mated with ancient humans. And its 'nested' DNA was just found." | LiveScience

Today's humans carry the genes of an ancient, unknown ancestor, left there by hominin species intermingling perhaps a million years ago.

The ancestor may have been Homo erectus, but no one knows for sure — the genome of that extinct species of human has never been sequenced, said Adam Siepel, a computational biologist at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory and one of the authors of a new paper examining the relationships of ancient human ancestors.

The new research, published today (Aug. 6) in the journal PLOS Genetics, also finds that ancient humans mated with Neanderthals between 200,000 and 300,000 years ago, well before the more recent, and better-known mixing of the two species occurred, after Homo sapiens migrated in large numbers out of Africa and into Europe 50,000 years ago. Thanks to this ancient mixing event, Neanderthals actually owe between 3% and 7% of their genomes to ancient Homo sapiens, the researchers reported.

[Continues . . .]

The paper is open access and linked in the article as well as in the third paragraph quoted above.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2020, 06:40:10 AM »
So, at this family reunion, would modern humans be the strange uncle that isn't welcome, and nobody wants to talk about?

Randy

• Learned everything from cartoons.
    • My Comic Books
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2020, 03:10:59 PM »
So, at this family reunion, would modern humans be the strange uncle that isn't welcome, and nobody wants to talk about?
I think we'd be the strange uncle that isn't welcome but everyone gossips about.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • infidel barbarian
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2020, 06:29:34 AM »
My impression is that contemporary anatomically modern humans (AMH) are the least robust among the recent hominin species. The ancient African AMH were undoubtedly formidable specimens, but modern Africans are well within contemporary standards, which seem to me somewhat more slight/gracile than our direct ancestors and relatives.

For non-African populations the early model AMH (European early modern humans/Cro-Magnons) had larger brains and sturdier bones on average than we do, while Neanderthals were more so. Not sure about Denisovans, admittedly, so they're a sort of wild card. At the family picnic we'd likely be the wimpy nephew with asthma, but maybe we could lord it over the hobbit (floresiensis).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 06:45:36 AM by Recusant »
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • infidel barbarian
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2020, 05:31:35 AM »
Fossil human footprints in Arabia.  :)

First human footprint found at Alathar and corresponding digital elevation model.(Stewart et al, Science Advances, 2020)
[From ScienceAlert]

"Ancient human footprints in Saudi Arabia give glimpse of Arabian ecology 120000 years ago" | EurekAlert

Situated between Africa and Eurasia, the Arabian Peninsula is an important yet understudied region for understanding human evolution across the continents. Recent research highlighting the role of the Arabian Peninsula in human prehistory shows that humans repeatedly dispersed into the peninsula's interior at times when its harsh deserts were transformed into lush grasslands. However, the nature and timing of these dispersals have remained elusive, due to a scarcity of datable material and poor-resolution paleoecological data associated with evidence for humans.

In a new study published in Science Advances, researchers from the Max Planck Institutes for Chemical Ecology (MPI-CE) and the Science of Human History (MPI-SHH) in Jena, Germany and Royal Holloway University of London, UK, together with a team of international partners, describe a large assemblage of fossilized footprints discovered in an ancient lake deposit in Saudi Arabia's Nefud Desert. The footprints, dated to roughly 120 thousand-years-ago, include those of humans, elephants and horses, among other animals. These findings represent the earliest dated evidence for human movements into this part of the world, contemporary with well-known human dispersals from Africa to the Levant. In addition, it appears that the movements and landscape use patterns of humans and large mammals were tightly linked, perhaps in response to dry conditions and diminishing water supplies.

[Continues . . .]

The paper is open access:

"Human footprints provide snapshot of last interglacial ecology in the Arabian interior" | ScienceAdvances

Abstract:

The nature of human dispersals out of Africa has remained elusive because of the poor resolution of paleoecological data in direct association with remains of the earliest non-African people. Here, we report hominin and non-hominin mammalian tracks from an ancient lake deposit in the Arabian Peninsula, dated within the last interglacial. The findings, it is argued, likely represent the oldest securely dated evidence for Homo sapiens in Arabia. The paleoecological evidence indicates a well-watered semi-arid grassland setting during human movements into the Nefud Desert of Saudi Arabia. We conclude that visitation to the lake was transient, likely serving as a place to drink and to forage, and that late Pleistocene human and mammalian migrations and landscape use patterns in Arabia were inexorably linked.
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2020, 07:45:08 AM »
Always fascinating.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

• Learned everything from cartoons.
    • My Comic Books
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2020, 10:16:30 AM »
Wow, 120,000 years ago. I imagine they couldn't imagine that they were making archeological history.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • I Spy With My Googly Eyes...TREES!
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2020, 12:54:28 AM »
Wow

Wow, 120,000 years ago. I imagine they couldn't imagine that they were making archeological history.

Yeah. :tellmemore:
I lose myself infused in something more than what they've seen
I'm not a slave to greed
I don't embrace your make believe
I've never been for sale no matter what they think I need