News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

If You Had A Billion Bucks, What Would You Do?

Started by xSilverPhinx, December 28, 2014, 08:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Pasta Chick

Have more dogs, do a lot more with them (doing stuff with dogs is hella expensive), do more in rescue, hire a housekeeper to help with the fur removal, and travel and eat a lot of crazy weird food.

I'd end up giving away a lot of it too.  Not to any specific cause, just to people who need it.  I hear people talking about medical bills or car repairs or whatever all the time and I always wish I had enough money to just make it go away for them. 

Of course I'd have to invest a lot of it somehow too, so I don't burn through it all and end up broke.   

Sandra Craft

I'd pay off bills -- my bills, my friends bills, my relatives bills, possibly some strangers bills.  Then I'd buy a huge amount of acreage somewhere nice but accessible, hire people who knew what they were doing, and run a no-kill animal shelter.  Finally, I'd open a bookstore to serve as my own private library, tho I would sell a book to anyone who wandered in.  I would not serve coffee tho.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Build myself a small 4 stall luxury barn with a large heated and air conditioned indoor arena, heated wash rack, heated tack room. Buy all the saddle pads in every color and all the Tailored Sportsmans.I have given this a lot of thought.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

First, do let us define a billion, shall we? How many zeroes?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MariaEvri

I#d buy the car I want, fix a super duper enclosure for my iguana, fix my apartment and the rest in a bank where I will use them with the rest of my cash.

oh yeah and buy a super duuperishious zoom lens for bird photography
and gadgets
who doesn't love gadgets
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on December 29, 2014, 08:32:29 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on December 29, 2014, 01:54:46 AM
First, do let us define a billion, shall we? How many zeroes?
$1,000,000,000

This. Probably a few zeros short if you're plotting world domination but still a lot of money nonetheless. :D

Asmodean

Well, with a "short" billion, I'd spend most of it buying myself an island and the rest living comfortably on it.

Were it a long billion, now that would have made things interesting!
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

I'm assuming there is no tax burden with this one billion.  With that assumption, here is my plan:

1. Pay off any debts (wouldn't take much of it);
2. Give 25% to educational and medical charities/foundations;
3. Invest the rest in relatively safe investments (if I got 4% off of $750,000,000.00, that would be $30,000,000.00 annually);
4. Out of the annual income, pay taxes (estimated about 40%), share with family (grand kids education would be top priority), and travel;
5. Upon my death, the corpus would be divided among charities and my family. 

OldGit

Crow

Turn it into 2 billion, then that into 4 and so on. Once you have large amounts of expendable cash making more money is pretty straight forward. Once you have a decent system in place and employees working and creating profits without intervention you can invest money into others and not expect a return whilst still making more money. I'd probably focus on energy and food production and change them to suit my whims and manipulate the government to get what I want.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

I think I would throw a lot of it into education as well.