News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Hello

Started by Jose AR, December 08, 2011, 03:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose AR

Hello, My name is Jose and I am interested in evolution and atheism. I grew up Roman Catholic. I'm 48 and can't remember ever believing, but I can remember being brainwashed into pretending to believe. Only in the last few years have I started to read about atheism and my consciousness has been raised. Dawkins especially changed my idea that the physical and spiritual were not in seperate realms and that religion does make assertions about the world that should be able to withstand scrutiny. Before that I just thought that those who are religous are in their own world and I am in mine. Now I am seeing the damage that religion, especilally the monotheisms have done. Not just wars and suffering, not just the repression of science for millenia, but the forming of my very own moral ideas; so that I live a life where I believe in ludicrous personal values such perfect forms, submission to authority, conformity, politeness, tolerance, and respect. I am also a person who is well read and I love to talk about ideas, but whenever I bring up "ideas" to people they react as if I just passed gas! So here I am.
Jose
"I don't have a cool quote yet but hope to soon"

Buddy

Well Hello thar! Welcome to HAF! ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

OldGit

Welcome, Jose!  You're on a good path, and we will do all we can to help you along  it.  We are also the ones for reams of chat, so you're in the right place.

Buddy

Quote from: OldGit on December 08, 2011, 03:45:40 PM
Welcome, Jose!  You're on a good path, and we will do all we can to help you along  it.  We are also the ones for reams of chat, so you're in the right place.

Ooh good you're on! Did you see the picture I made you?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

OldGit

Hi, BH!  No, sorry, I haven't found it yet.

Tank

Hi Jose

I understand how you feel about the changing attitude towards 'live and let live' and the impact of 'The God Delusion'. Thanks for joining in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: OldGit on December 08, 2011, 03:55:52 PM
Hi, BH!  No, sorry, I haven't found it yet.
http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=8767.30

Towards the bottom. You may want to read the comments to understand it  ;D

Enjoy the forum Jose ;D

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Jose AR. Generally, ideas are welcome here, so you should feel at home.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Jose AR on December 08, 2011, 03:42:21 PM
I grew up Roman Catholic. I'm 48 and can't remember ever believing, but I can remember being brainwashed into pretending to believe.

That's a familiar story around here.  Welcome.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Jose AR

Hi again,
I've done just a few postings and have found the HAF community to be sincere, interesting, and illuminating.
Thank you
Jose AR

Tank

Quote from: Jose AR on December 10, 2011, 01:02:00 PM
Hi again,
I've done just a few postings and have found the HAF community to be sincere, interesting, and illuminating.
Thank you
Jose AR

Well I'm pleased you like it here, and you are now part of this little corner of the Internet  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MadBomr101

Quote from: Jose AR on December 08, 2011, 03:42:21 PM
Hello, My name is Jose and I am interested in evolution and atheism. I grew up Roman Catholic. I'm 48 and can't remember ever believing, but I can remember being brainwashed into pretending to believe. Only in the last few years have I started to read about atheism and my consciousness has been raised. Dawkins especially changed my idea that the physical and spiritual were not in seperate realms and that religion does make assertions about the world that should be able to withstand scrutiny. Before that I just thought that those who are religous are in their own world and I am in mine. Now I am seeing the damage that religion, especilally the monotheisms have done. Not just wars and suffering, not just the repression of science for millenia, but the forming of my very own moral ideas; so that I live a life where I believe in ludicrous personal values such perfect forms, submission to authority, conformity, politeness, tolerance, and respect. I am also a person who is well read and I love to talk about ideas, but whenever I bring up "ideas" to people they react as if I just passed gas! So here I am.
Jose
"I don't have a cool quote yet but hope to soon"

I love all of the above including your quote.  It's not a man-crush kinda love so don't get the wrong idea. Anyway, welcome!
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.