Mobile Animals Could Have Evolved Much Earlier Than Previously Thought

Started by Tank, May 19, 2011, 09:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

New Evidence Shows Mobile Animals Could Have Evolved Much Earlier Than Previously Thought

QuoteScienceDaily (May 18, 2011) — A University of Alberta-led research team has discovered that billions of years before life evolved in the oceans, thin layers of microbial matter in shallow water produced enough oxygen to support tiny, mobile life forms.

The researchers say worm-like creatures could have lived on the oxygen produced by photosynthetic microbial material, even though oxygen concentrations in the surrounding water were not high enough to support life. The research was conducted in shallow lagoons in Venezuela where the high salt content is comparable to oceans older than 500 million years...

The 'Cambrian explosion' has been a bit of a puzzle brought about by the apparent lack of fossilised creatures before 600 million years ago. It appears to be that it was our lack of ability to detect the fossils that were there and the fact that the organisms fossilised very poorly that gave the illusion of an abrupt appearance of complex and mobile life.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

I haven't read the source yet, but that article is very interesting. I've always had an issue with the cambrian explosion, but I've never been concerned or interested enough in it to look very deeply into it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: Davin on May 19, 2011, 03:56:23 PM
I haven't read the source yet, but that article is very interesting. I've always had an issue with the cambrian explosion, but I've never been concerned or interested enough in it to look very deeply into it.
It's looking more like an observation artefact all the time, we simply didn't have the visibility or resolution if you like. That and a couple of sites like the Burgess shale gave a false impression of a very abrupt arrival of lots of mobile life in a very short space of time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.