News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

-

Started by Ming, March 11, 2011, 06:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ming

Over the past few days there has been an ongoing debate about the role of evolution versus creationism on one of Swedens most important online news/political debate forums.

You can help support science against the constant machinations of the christians by going to this site and just clicking your vote.

Go to this page:

Scroll down the page, and click "ARG" in the graphics.

[Translation of the question: "How do you feel about creationism?". And the possible answers are: "happy" in blue; "curious" in green; "angry" in red; "bored" in brown.]

Thank you all so very much.

Hyperlink removed as this is considered spamming the forum. Please read forum rules before posting advertisements for other sites/causes/books/movies/Chihuahuas, etc.

Read here: viewtopic.php?p=18210#p18210

Tank

Good to see you read the rules in such detail  lol
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

I don't know why people don't just ask for permission...I don't remember ever telling anyone no when they asked first (have told them no, it will have to wait, when they asked after getting their hand slapped)

Extropian

Quote from: "Whitney"I don't know why people don't just ask for permission...I don't remember ever telling anyone no when they asked first (have told them no, it will have to wait, when they asked after getting their hand slapped)

NO SPAM: If this is your first visit to the forum and you post a link, copy paste text, etc it will be considered spam and may be removed or partially removed by a moderator at their own discretion without notice. Spam is everything from unwanted advertisements to posting the same thread or comment on many different forums.

In all fairness Whitney, this excerpt from the rules your URL directs us to mentions nothing about "people just asking for permission". Is this feature mentioned elsewhere in the rules? If it is I was unable to find it.

If people don't know they can ask for permission to post URLs of interest to the forum, perhaps you should know why they don't ask.

Extropian
Few nations have been so poor as to have but one god. Gods were made so easily, and the raw material cost so little, that generally the god market was fairly glutted and heaven crammed with these phantoms.
Robert Green Ingersoll
Read more: http://www.brainy

Whitney

Quote from: "Extropian"
Quote from: "Whitney"I don't know why people don't just ask for permission...I don't remember ever telling anyone no when they asked first (have told them no, it will have to wait, when they asked after getting their hand slapped)

NO SPAM: If this is your first visit to the forum and you post a link, copy paste text, etc it will be considered spam and may be removed or partially removed by a moderator at their own discretion without notice. Spam is everything from unwanted advertisements to posting the same thread or comment on many different forums.

In all fairness Whitney, this excerpt from the rules your URL directs us to mentions nothing about "people just asking for permission". Is this feature mentioned elsewhere in the rules? If it is I was unable to find it.

If people don't know they can ask for permission to post URLs of interest to the forum, perhaps you should know why they don't ask.

Extropian

It's common practice to ask for an exception to rules if you want to do something that is against them....no reason to include all ways to get an exception, common sense tells a person that they can try asking or just not break the rules.

terranus

QuoteIn all fairness Whitney, this excerpt from the rules your URL directs us to mentions nothing about "people just asking for permission". Is this feature mentioned elsewhere in the rules? If it is I was unable to find it.

It may not be in the rules to ask, but it's definitely in the rules not to post links/ads in your first posts. Think about this: If it's your first post, and you want to post a link - what would be the most logical thing to do? Ask the person who came up with the rules for some leniency, or say screw it and just break the rules, knowing that your post will most likely be edited/removed anyway?
 :brick:
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

fester30

I think part of the problem is that the rules aren't conveniently beamed into our brains when we first visit this forum.  We actually have to click on something telling us to read the rules first.  That's just time-consuming, and people are lazy.  I could see how someone would post without knowing the rules.  I know I didn't read the rules first, (I just read them prior to this post) and it's just coincidence that I didn't post something that required references from the internet, otherwise I would have broken them.  Of course, I've been in a lot of forums before and know it gives moderators a warm fuzzy if your first post is in the introductions thread, so I did that.

Tank

Quote from: "fester30"I think part of the problem is that the rules aren't conveniently beamed into our brains when we first visit this forum.  We actually have to click on something telling us to read the rules first.  That's just time-consuming, and people are lazy.  I could see how someone would post without knowing the rules.  I know I didn't read the rules first, (I just read them prior to this post) and it's just coincidence that I didn't post something that required references from the internet, otherwise I would have broken them.  Of course, I've been in a lot of forums before and know it gives moderators a warm fuzzy if your first post is in the introductions thread, so I did that.
I think you're right. The vast majority of people don't read the rules. I read them as having been a moderator and administrator elsewhere it bugs the hell out of me when people don't read the rules. There is one forum I joined before the rules had not been written yet, when they were issued they were way too onerous for me to be comfortable with. So I left.

Basic rules set the boundaries of a place but the mission statement is more important in guiding people in how they should behave. Rules are proscriptive, they explain what one should not do. The mission statement shapes how people are to behave if they are to make a positive contribution to the forum. It's worth reading this every now and again portal.php
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

fester30

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "fester30"I think part of the problem is that the rules aren't conveniently beamed into our brains when we first visit this forum.  We actually have to click on something telling us to read the rules first.  That's just time-consuming, and people are lazy.  I could see how someone would post without knowing the rules.  I know I didn't read the rules first, (I just read them prior to this post) and it's just coincidence that I didn't post something that required references from the internet, otherwise I would have broken them.  Of course, I've been in a lot of forums before and know it gives moderators a warm fuzzy if your first post is in the introductions thread, so I did that.
I think you're right. The vast majority of people don't read the rules. I read them as having been a moderator and administrator elsewhere it bugs the hell out of me when people don't read the rules. There is one forum I joined before the rules had not been written yet, when they were issued they were way too onerous for me to be comfortable with. So I left.

Basic rules set the boundaries of a place but the mission statement is more important in guiding people in how they should behave. Rules are proscriptive, they explain what one should not do. The mission statement shapes how people are to behave if they are to make a positive contribution to the forum. It's worth reading this every now and again portal.php

"Hey Jerry, great memo!  Took the words right out of my mouth!"

"It's a mission statement."

Extropian

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "Extropian"

Extropian

It's common practice to ask for an exception to rules if you want to do something that is against them....no reason to include all ways to get an exception, common sense tells a person that they can try asking or just not break the rules.

That same common sense tells a person that there is just one way to get an exception.........that is to ask for it.

The implication of your post is that the tedium of recounting all the ways is a valid objection to my observation. If there is a number of ways, other than asking, perhaps you could advise us of a few. The "not asking" option, of course, has already produced a result.

In the interest of clarity for new and existing members, and with respect, would it be too much to offer an "ask option" as an exception to the rule? This exception would apply only to URLs that were strictly relevant to the topic being discussed.    

As to the C&P rule; NO PLAGIARISM: When quoting from a source other than yourself give credit where credit is due: use citations, links, names, etc. when possible.

Should this be interpreted as specifying that the alternative to C&P is to type out the text one would present and add the URL, link, citation or attribution. Should one seek permission to do this? I ask just to be on the safe side.
Few nations have been so poor as to have but one god. Gods were made so easily, and the raw material cost so little, that generally the god market was fairly glutted and heaven crammed with these phantoms.
Robert Green Ingersoll

Whitney

unless you are spamming or looking like you are spamming there are no rules being broken...so I don't understand what you are asking.

Extropian

by Whitney » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:22 am

unless you are spamming or looking like you are spamming there are no rules being broken...so I don't understand what you are asking.

Yes you do, it was a perfectly legitimate and simple question.

I was also asking about an "ask option" being added to the NO SPAM rule. A brief word of advice as to whether it's too much trouble or not would at least settle the issue.
Robert Green Ingersoll

McQ

Quote from: "Extropian"by Whitney » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:22 am

I was also asking about an "ask option" being added to the NO SPAM rule. A brief word of advice as to whether it's too much trouble or not would at least settle the issue.

What gives you the right to tell someone they know what you mean after they've said they don't know what you mean? Are you clairvoyant? I didn't know what you meant either, so I'm with Whitney on this.

No one else seems to have an issue with this area of the rules or the clarity of the rules. You appear to simply want to argue with Whitney, which would be better done via PM to her.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

If you were just asking about the spam rule then why were you referencing the plagiarism rule that requires citing sources?

Other than in your mind there is no issue with the no spam rule; not going to adjust it to encourage people to ask for permission to post stuff; would rather they actually participate on the forum first.

Aside from things that fall under spam you can post links to your heart's content.

Do you understand yet?...if not then pm Will; he's good at being patient.

Tank

Quote from: "Whitney"

If you were just asking about the spam rule then why were you referencing the plagiarism rule that requires citing sources?

Other than in your mind there is no issue with the no spam rule; not going to adjust it to encourage people to ask for permission to post stuff; would rather they actually participate on the forum first.

Aside from things that fall under spam you can post links to your heart's content.

Do you understand yet?...if not then pm Will; he's good at being patient.

roflol

Poor old will! What did he do to deserve that!