News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

COVID-19

Started by Tank, March 10, 2020, 07:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

You need to read this.

Basically you are most infectious in the early stages. So if you get the symptoms self- isolate ASAP so you don't spread the infection.

People 'shed' high levels of coronavirus, study finds, but most are likely not infectious after recovery begins[/url
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

joeactor

Significant if true.

I suspect that the US, China and Russia numbers are vastly under-reported at present.

Time to move! (maybe off planet)

No one

Moving to Madagascar.

Tank

The UK health minister has tested positive. She was infectious in a cabinet meeting last Thursday.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

This Corona virus only seems to threaten the old or other ailing drains on the health system.
I don't see what the fuss is about, let it take its course, the demographic timebomb defused.
What are we, modern day Canutes telling a virus what to do? It will do what it will do. Let it.

I did the test thing we got off Alibaba on our lungs, after nine months of bushfire smoke it seems we have the respiratory system of an eighty seven year old, but that's by a Chinese scale so we're  probably more like a hundred and seven, breathing wise.

The response to the Corona virus sickens me.
It threatens the most vulnerable amongst us and what do I see?
People hoarding toilet paper
That's right brother, people hoarding toilet paper preventing me accumulating a prudent stockpile, two weeks in a row.
Where is the serious effort to prevent this disease hitting the venerable vulnerable?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on March 11, 2020, 07:04:49 AM
The UK health minister has tested positive. She was infectious in a cabinet meeting last Thursday.

Guffaw, guffaw, guffaw, guffaw, guffaw, guffaw, guffaw, guffaw, guffaw, guffaw
Hey, this isn't some public health initiative to make us exercise our lungs, is it?

Recusant

Halp! The horrible secular authorities are persecuting the good and faithful Christian Jim Bakker, who only wants to stop the advance of disease, really. (Superfluous auto-play video at link)

"NY, Missouri attorneys general order televangelist Jim Bakker to stop promoting alleged coronavirus cure" | American Broadcasting Company

QuoteTwo state attorneys general ordered a prominent televangelist to stop peddling an alleged coronavirus elixir on his show.

Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt filed a lawsuit Tuesday against Jim Bakker for misrepresentations about the effectiveness of "Silver Solution" as a treatment for coronavirus. Schmitt's lawsuit came a week after the office of New York Attorney General Letitia James sent a cease-and-desist order to Bakker, ordering him to stop promoting the supplement as a COVID-19 treatment.

[Continues . . .]

Bakker has been selling this snake oil for years, along with various products for the "prep and pray" end-times believers.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Science, the house journal of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, has given President Trump and his incompetent, mendacious administration a restrained reminder of the facts. Not that it will matter.

"Do us a favor" | Science

Quote"Do me a favor, speed it up, speed it up." This is what U.S. President Donald Trump told the National Association of Counties Legislative Conference, recounting what he said to pharmaceutical executives about the progress toward a vaccine for severe acute respiratory syndrome–coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Anthony Fauci, the long-time leader of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has been telling the president repeatedly that developing the vaccine will take at least a year and a half—the same message conveyed by pharmaceutical executives. Apparently, Trump thought that simply repeating his request would change the outcome. China has rightfully taken criticism for squelching attempts by scientists to report information during the outbreak. Now, the United States government is doing similar things. Informing Fauci and other government scientists that they must clear all public comments with Vice President Mike Pence is unacceptable. This is not a time for someone who denies evolution, climate change, and the dangers of smoking to shape the public message. Thank goodness Fauci, Francis Collins [director of the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH)], and their colleagues across federal agencies are willing to soldier on and are gradually getting the message out.

While scientists are trying to share facts about the epidemic, the administration either blocks those facts or restates them with contradictions. Transmission rates and death rates are not measurements that can be changed with will and an extroverted presentation. The administration has repeatedly said—as it did last week—that virus spread in the United States is contained, when it is clear from genomic evidence that community spread is occurring in Washington state and beyond. That kind of distortion and denial is dangerous and almost certainly contributed to the federal government's sluggish response. After 3 years of debating whether the words of this administration matter, the words are now clearly a matter of life and death.

[. . .]

For the past 4 years, President Trump's budgets have made deep cuts to science, including cuts to funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the NIH. With this administration's disregard for science of the Environmental Protection Agency and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the stalled naming of a director for the Office of Science and Technology Policy—all to support political goals—the nation has had nearly 4 years of harming and ignoring science.

[. . .]

A vaccine has to have a fundamental scientific basis. It has to be manufacturable. It has to be safe. This could take a year and a half—or much longer. Pharmaceutical executives have every incentive to get there quickly— they will be selling the vaccine after all—but thankfully they also know that you can't break the laws of nature to get there.

Maybe we should be happy. Three years ago, the president declared his skepticism of vaccines and tried to launch an antivaccine task force. Now he suddenly loves vaccines.

But do us a favor, Mr. President. If you want something, start treating science and its principles with respect.

[Link to full article]

President Trump has a "natural ability" to understand science and medicine because, you know, his uncle was a professor at MIT. With this natural ability he achieves astounding insights that mere scientists and doctors will never have. It is known.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

lol

it's true

i went to stock up on hummus, basil, and feta cheese, and the toilet paper aisle was empty. except for this woman who shook her head at the human condition.

what are people thinking? you can wipe your butt with a handful of grass.

hmmm

well, at least i can.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

the govenor of my province has forbidden gatherings of moe than 100 people.

school has been cancelld for all of my children.

my job is mostly solitary, but if i have to cancel work, its just that much more time for me to work on my motorcycles.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Recusant

The vile mountebank Alex Jones (caught driving while intoxicated just a few days ago) has been selling magic silver-infused toothpaste to his gullible listeners as a cure for COVID-19, among other things of course. Now he must cease and desist.

"Alex Jones Probed by New York AG Over Silver-Based Covid-19 'Cure'" | Bloomberg

QuoteConspiracy theorist Alex Jones's claim that a toothpaste he sells "kills the whole SARS-corona family at point-blank range" is the latest bogus silver-based cure to come under legal scrutiny.

New York Attorney General Letitia James on Thursday ordered Jones to immediately cease and desist from selling the product on his right-wing website, InfoWars. James has already cracked down on similar silver claims made by the disgraced televangelist Jim Bakker and a Phoenix-based salesman.

Jones, who has bragged about his influence with President Donald Trump and hosted him on his show in 2015, told viewers in a March 10 broadcast that the effectiveness of his supposedly virus-fighting toothpaste is backed by the Pentagon and the Department of Homeland Security.

"As the coronavirus continues to pose serious risks to public health, Alex Jones has spewed outright lies and has profited off of New Yorkers' anxieties," James, a Democrat, said in a statement. "Mr. Jones' public platform has not only given him a microphone to shout inflammatory rhetoric, but his latest mistruths are incredibly dangerous."

New York became aware of Jones's false claims after they were flagged online by Media Matters for America, a self-described progressive policy group that says it works to correct conservative "misinformation," the attorney general's office said.

[Continues . . .]
— H. L. Mencken

Kusa

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Recusant on March 12, 2020, 11:32:26 PM
The vile mountebank Alex Jones (caught driving while intoxicated just a few days ago) has been selling magic silver-infused toothpaste to his gullible listeners as a cure for COVID-19, among other things of course. Now he must cease and desist.

"Alex Jones Probed by New York AG Over Silver-Based Covid-19 'Cure'" | Bloomberg

QuoteConspiracy theorist Alex Jones's claim that a toothpaste he sells "kills the whole SARS-corona family at point-blank range" is the latest bogus silver-based cure to come under legal scrutiny.

New York Attorney General Letitia James on Thursday ordered Jones to immediately cease and desist from selling the product on his right-wing website, InfoWars. James has already cracked down on similar silver claims made by the disgraced televangelist Jim Bakker and a Phoenix-based salesman.

Jones, who has bragged about his influence with President Donald Trump and hosted him on his show in 2015, told viewers in a March 10 broadcast that the effectiveness of his supposedly virus-fighting toothpaste is backed by the Pentagon and the Department of Homeland Security.

"As the coronavirus continues to pose serious risks to public health, Alex Jones has spewed outright lies and has profited off of New Yorkers' anxieties," James, a Democrat, said in a statement. "Mr. Jones' public platform has not only given him a microphone to shout inflammatory rhetoric, but his latest mistruths are incredibly dangerous."

New York became aware of Jones's false claims after they were flagged online by Media Matters for America, a self-described progressive policy group that says it works to correct conservative "misinformation," the attorney general's office said.

[Continues . . .]

Alex Jones ought to be probed with a near-molten fire hydrant, but it should be done on the orifice that spews the most shit...

Bad Penny II

Well things are starting to get serious.
Neil Young said he's not coming for his May concert, no refund for accommodation $ :( 
The prime minister says gatherings over 500 are going to be restricted from Monday, not schools and public transport.  It seems he wants to attend a football game on the weekend but a senior minister has the lurgy so maybe he shouldn't. 
Tom Hanks is on the Gold Coast and he's got it, why didn't I know his wife's  name was Wilson?
I wonder how the maths works, maybe 1% die, few young 10% of if you're 88.
What % of those exposed get it?
What % of people are exposed to the annual flu
It's very complex, I think we need a new form of mathematics to solve this.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/03/06/msnbcs_brian_williams_new_york_times_editorial_board_member_mara_gay_five_divided_by_three_equals_one_million.html
QuoteThursday on MSNBC's "The Eleventh Hour" with Brian Williams, New York Times Editorial Board Member Mara Gay and the host accepted without question a tweet that (jokingly) said that Michael Bloomberg could have given every American one million dollars with the five hundred million dollars he spent on his short-lived presidential campaign.

I've been doing the sums.
That's what they pay us for, what did you get?
Using the "Eleventh Hour" technique I estimate we can all expect to die at least a thousand times in the next two weeks.
I'm so glad we put our money in the funeral industry.

Tank

Well my eldest daughter and her son are off to hospital with 'flu like' symptoms. My son is one of the McLaren team in Australia. They have one case and 13 others in isolation. If anybody else in the team tests positive he's in isolation in Australia for 14 days. My eldest daughter, her son and brother-in-law went on a visit to McLaren last Saturday and spent the whole day in the car there and back. The BIL is a theatre nurse in a Leeds hospital. His wife, my other daughter, also works in a Leeds hospital.