News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Ecurb's travels

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, November 27, 2019, 01:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

It's been fun sharing your wanderings :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 10, 2021, 11:28:36 AM
Made it home last night - 10 hour flight, not much hassle at Heathrow or Houston.  Bill, I'll post a few more photos today - I have hundreds, but I know that someone's account of their own vacation can get tedious.  I'll try not to be repetitive on the pics.

dont be silly.

im fascinated

i used to set my watch every morning by the clock tower at westminster on my way into waterloo, but i havent been there in years and years. it looks very different in some ways, the same in iothers

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Recusant

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 10, 2021, 02:07:06 PM

Had a proper English Breakfast my last morning.  Not sure why the photo turned out yellow. I tried the black pudding - not too bad, but it is best not to discuss how it is made.  Here is what was in it: two fried eggs, a sausage link, bacon (Canadian bacon for Americans), cherry tomatoes, Portobello mushroom slices, black pudding (under the mushrooms), hash brown potatoes and cubed fried potatoes, beans, and toast.  I ate most of it, but left most of the potatoes - just too much food.  It was very good. 

In all, I walked well over 50 miles, never taking public transportation (except limos from and to the airport). It was a "wandering" tour, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. London is not a grid like US cities.  It is more like a pile of pick-up-sticks, with streets going everywhere - a wanderer's paradise. If you average all the factors, London is ranked as as the No. 1 Alpha Global City in the world, and I can't disagree.  I think it is the greatest city on earth.

The Full English is an amazing meal. You missed out, not getting fried bread. Probably adds another third to the total amount of fats, but if you're eating a Full English you aren't really worrying about something like that.  :lol: 

The Full Scottish is close, but with a hunk of haggis, and maybe preceded by a bit of porridge. I've found that after either one you're set for a full day of adventure, not needing any further sustenance until the evening.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 10, 2021, 11:28:36 AM
Made it home last night - 10 hour flight, not much hassle at Heathrow or Houston.  Bill, I'll post a few more photos today - I have hundreds, but I know that someone's account of their own vacation can get tedious.  I'll try not to be repetitive on the pics.

Glad you made it home ok...have enjoyed this, and would still love to see more photos, so keep posting...I also have to say that I don't think I ever saw a picture of you on the forum before this thread, so I was quite surprised how nice you look.
         Would never think you were a lawyer :o
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Ecurb Noselrub

A few more images from Westminster Abbey:

Ecurb Noselrub

Ecurb Noselrub

Unknown Soldier buried in the abbey.  This is the only floor grave there that nobody walks over. 

Ecurb Noselrub

Grave of Elizabeth 1 and Mary 1 (Bloody Mary), who were half-sisters, both daughters of Henry VIII.  Mary remained Catholic but Elizabeth went with dad.  They are buried together, even though they were separated in life.

Biggus Dickus

I've always loved and admired the architecture and designs of old churches...Westminster Abbey looks quite stunning.

Would really like to see that one day.

Anyway nice pictures!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

OK, Billy, here are some more pics for you. Here are two shots of the inner works of Tower Bridge - the machinery that lifts the drawbridge:

Here is the approach to the bridge:

Here is the view back toward the original City of London from the bridge.  You can see the Walkie Talkie and the Gherkin buildings.

Ecurb Noselrub

Here are a couple more from Portobello Road in Notting Hill, since I know you liked the place:

billy rubin

whats th epower source to raise the bridge? it looks like some sort of mixed machinery. obviously it would have been a steam engine when it was built, but thats out of fashion now

i never spent much time above the gground in london. i went from place to place in the underground, and then surfaced locally to do whatever i was about. i knew the tubes but not the streets

Ecurb Noselrub

Now it is electricity, but used to be steam. It's a bascule system, sort of like a seesaw on each side.

Ecurb Noselrub