News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

The Art and things we've made thread...

Started by Claireliontamer, January 28, 2016, 06:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Thank for explaining. My woodworking skills are close to zero: glued and screwed butt joints are my level. I am a bit better with concrete, where I usually embed stainless steel mesh at critical points as reinforcement.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 20, 2023, 04:33:11 AMThank for explaining. My woodworking skills are close to zero: glued and screwed butt joints are my level. I am a bit better with concrete, where I usually embed stainless steel mesh at critical points as reinforcement.

To each, their own element! FWIW, if your wood project isn't severely stressed, the glue joint is good enough. A proper glue joint has been been proven to be as strong as the wood that it attaches, in general. Of course, screws add a lot of strength. My tool chests have corner braces that reinforce the glued joints. Probably not necessary, given that the tools weight next to nothing compared to the tools that machinists put in those chests. I put carving tools in them and those are really light in comparison to all the metal-centric tools.

Tank

Modern wood glues often create a joint stronger than the wood around them.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MarcusA

Art is 99 per cent craftmanship and 1 per cent sweat.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

MarcusA

MarcusA

MarcusA

I am persuaded by criticism to think highly of myself.

No one

MarcusA

MarcusA

I like home cooking. Any pictures of the food that you have prepared yourself will be most welcome. Also, any pictures of your garden if you have one will be equally welcome.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: MarcusA on July 14, 2023, 08:55:02 PMI like home cooking. Any pictures of the food that you have prepared yourself will be most welcome. Also, any pictures of your garden if you have one will be equally welcome.

Have you posted a picture yet, one of your own?
Icarus asked you about your location, did you answer him?
For people who look at maps, it's a place.
"Western Australia (Australia) is 71% larger than Alaska (USA)."
Fk football in all its forms, I'd like to hear about the bottom bit of WA.

MarcusA

Quote from: The Magic Pudding. on July 15, 2023, 12:07:28 PM
Quote from: MarcusA on July 14, 2023, 08:55:02 PMI like home cooking. Any pictures of the food that you have prepared yourself will be most welcome. Also, any pictures of your garden if you have one will be equally welcome.

Have you posted a picture yet, one of your own?
Icarus asked you about your location, did you answer him?
For people who look at maps, it's a place.
"Western Australia (Australia) is 71% larger than Alaska (USA)."
Fk football in all its forms, I'd like to hear about the bottom bit of WA.

I have no devices other than a mobile phone: my hands are too unsteady for selfies.

MarcusA

billy rubin

id love to have a garden. i dont eat meat, and plants are vastly more attractive t me anyway. but i simply dont have the time tend one. im up at 0500, driving to work at 0512, driving out for the day in my truck at 0615, retuning like today at 1700, then home by 1800 and crashing at 2000.

currently my company also has me work alternate saturdays, so there isnt time to do shit.

set the function, not the mechanism.