News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What is a happy athiest to YOU ... Lets make some statements

Started by rickymooston, February 07, 2008, 05:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARA

It's a release, a feeling of freedom, the freedom to create my own values.  The freedom to make my own choices in my life, from the simple ones like having a beer and enjoying the feeling without guilt to big ones like opposing dangerous and crazy apocalyptic beliefs.  I can embrace change instead of doing things the way they always have been done.  I can think for myself, feel what I want to, I can adapt.  And when you want to make choices I don't agree with, I can let you, because I don't have to save you from anything.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Eris

Great topic!

To me, being a happy atheist means feeling secure in the integrity of my philosophy, being loving and inclusive of lgbt and other heathens (people that I have always liked more anyway) without feeling like I'm supposed to condemn their behavior just because god doesn't like it for whatever petty and arbitrary reasons, appreciating this life and being challenged to make the most of each moment because it's not going to last forever.
Seek the truth, come whence it may, cost what it may.

the_atheist_organist

It makes me happy to be an atheist...
*_To know that life doesn't have to be lived in constant fear. That one can make mistakes without having to go TELL someone totally not involved.
*_Not to have to lie in bed at night trying to communicate with an invisible man.
*_now that I can spend time learning about things created by humans, like art, technology, scientific theories, and things created by the fascinating laws of NATURE, which had no help from anything "all-knowing" or "all-powerful"...
*_I can read Richard Dawkins without feeling guilty!
:)˚˚caroline˚˚:)

Whitney

Everyone, I've been thinking about starting to work on writing a book for a while now and finally got around to starting.  I haven't figured out all the details yet but it will probably be called "Happy Atheist" and it will be a response to common stereotypes and also issues I consider troubling about he 'new atheism' movement (which means I need to do more reading).

Here's what the intro is so far, I'm sure it will be tweaked quite a bit as the book progresses:

QuoteI, like many other American atheists, was raised as a Christian.  However, unlike many conservative Christians, I was raised to have an appreciation of science which included accepting evolution theory into my faith.  This has given me a unique perspective of Christianity, which seems to be unique compared to some of the more prominent atheist figures.  However, this is not a book about why I am not a Christian.  Nor is this book about why I am an atheist.  Both of those topics have been covered in depth by others.  This book is about the emotional side of being a non-believer in a country which tends to equate atheism with immorality.  It is also, obviously, about being a happy atheist within such an environment.

So, staying with this topic..

I am thinking that a chapter of the book should be basically a series of accounts from various atheists about how they feel about living in America (other people can write something too, just try to tie it into American atheists since I'm going to focus in that direction) as an atheist and how you came to consider yourself a happy atheist.

I'm not even sure what the chapter would be about yet and figured the submissions would guide the topic.  If you have already written something for this thread, reformat it to what you wouldn't mind seeing printed somewhere and let me know what name to use as the author (you can use a real name or a pen name).

If you aren't sure what to say, take your time...I don't plan on publishing this thing anytime soon.  You will all have a chance to read drafts and comment as they become available.

McQ

Quote from: "laetusatheos"Everyone, I've been thinking about starting to work on writing a book for a while now and finally got around to starting.  I haven't figured out all the details yet but it will probably be called "Happy Atheist" and it will be a response to common stereotypes and also issues I consider troubling about he 'new atheism' movement (which means I need to do more reading).

Here's what the intro is so far, I'm sure it will be tweaked quite a bit as the book progresses:

QuoteI, like many other American atheists, was raised as a Christian.  However, unlike many conservative Christians, I was raised to have an appreciation of science which included accepting evolution theory into my faith.  This has given me a unique perspective of Christianity, which seems to be unique compared to some of the more prominent atheist figures.  However, this is not a book about why I am not a Christian.  Nor is this book about why I am an atheist.  Both of those topics have been covered in depth by others.  This book is about the emotional side of being a non-believer in a country which tends to equate atheism with immorality.  It is also, obviously, about being a happy atheist within such an environment.

So, staying with this topic..

I am thinking that a chapter of the book should be basically a series of accounts from various atheists about how they feel about living in America (other people can write something too, just try to tie it into American atheists since I'm going to focus in that direction) as an atheist and how you came to consider yourself a happy atheist.

I'm not even sure what the chapter would be about yet and figured the submissions would guide the topic.  If you have already written something for this thread, reformat it to what you wouldn't mind seeing printed somewhere and let me know what name to use as the author (you can use a real name or a pen name).

If you aren't sure what to say, take your time...I don't plan on publishing this thing anytime soon.  You will all have a chance to read drafts and comment as they become available.

Sounds like a great undertaking, and I'd be pleased to participate. I like the direction you want to take the book too.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

If anyone is looking for the Impuzzled related posts, go here:  http://www.happyatheistforum.com/ftopic1159.html

Impuzzled, please do not post any more off topic content in this thread, I want to keep this thread somewhat clean since I'll need to be able to easily find content later.  I created a thread just for you, click the above mentioned link.

-laetusatheos

ShimShamSam

Hey I'm new here

What makes me a happy atheist is to live my life how I want to, with my own code of morals. Also it would be nice if I wasn't constantly attacked for my beliefs. I don't mind a good debate, and usually win on this subject, but its pointless because neither side will change viewpoints. So what would make me happy is to live in piece with my atheism.

I mean, I don't go door to door preaching atheism, I wouldn't sink to their level, and I don't outwardly attack those religious. But what would make me happy is if people would accept me having my view as I do by letting them have theirs. Perhaps they're threatened by me.

Will

There is an indescribable peace that comes from no longer deceiving one's self about the realities of existence. It's the peace of liberty; the peace of honest and true freedom from oppression. I find my life worth living because I live it on my terms.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

ShimShamSam

Exactly, I plan on living my life my own way, as well as I can, until my inevitable death. It makes no sense to live your whole life in a way to prepare for what you believe comes after it, especially if no one has returned from there to tell you if it's even worth going.

susangail

oh the joys of being an Atheist (coming from a former Christian)...

- being myself and not feeling guilty about it
- I'm bisexual, enough said
- no guilt when I miss church, don't pray as much, don't read the Bible, etc.
- I can swear
- I'm bipolar and now I have no guilt for being on prescription drugs rather than 'trusting in God'
- living how I want to live and not how I'm told I should live
- living life to its fullest, not just passing by with hopes of a better afterlife
- I don't have to hate Darwin
- I can say I hate someone, not strongly dislike
- freedom
- indescribable peace

Just to name a few. There are so many reasons I'm a happy Atheist.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

ShimShamSam

ya see...THAT is what I'm missing out on. I never had that truly revolutionary moment in my life where I rejected my faith and saw everything in a new and glorious light. I never believed as long as i can remember, I can not remember myself believing. I'm jealous Susan, there, I said it.

susangail

Well thank you I guess, that sort of makes me feel better about my religious brainwashing, but don't feel like you're missing out. Being a happy Atheist is so much easier if you don't have to undo all that has been engrained into your brain all your life. I still feel guilty like I'm betraying my family and Christian friends or something, though I know there's no reason to.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Mister Joy

At the same time, though, having to rationally battle your way into sanity must strengthen conviction, allow you to prove yourself and force you to learn your stuff. It provides a much better basis than "Hey, I don't know anything about theism - I'm just an atheist because all of my mates are" (as is often the case with my generation in the UK, unfortunately). I'm not envious of ex-Christian atheist but I certainly respect them.

susangail

I see what you're saying. It's difficult but I think I like it that way. I like the knowledge I have. It certainly makes debates rather interesting.

Lindsey_Mcfarren

I think alot of what makes me a happy atheist is as a result or reaction of what I endured as a Seventh Day Adventist.

I beleive in treating all people with value and respect, I cherish their differences rather then trying to take those differences away and force them to walk a different road.

I believe this life here on earth is all there is so I believe in living it well, have fun, treat peope well.

I avoid bible nuts like the plague, I have a hard time keeping a straight face when they start going on.  I wonder at their ability to swallow so much fantasy.  Truth be told I do feel sorry for their bent towards the emotional and fantasy life.  I treat the with sympathy when I can.  I have to admit that I do feel they have a weakness of spirit and mind to NEED to believe what they do.
Better to reign in HELL then serve in Heaven. - Milton