Main Menu

Miscellaneous

Started by Dave, July 12, 2016, 10:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Hmm. Of course. It's all so obvious now. :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

It's a reference to a member of this site who in his flounce thread claimed that he "ruin[ed] the soup."

I like my first answer better, but some people won't leave well enough alone.  ;D
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Heheh :grin:

Right, I remember now. :smilenod:

Magdalena

This one would be a great one to add:
QuoteDamn! My Bullshitometer just exploded!
;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

joeactor

Did someone mention soup?

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on August 05, 2016, 11:01:19 PM
;D

My bullshitometer explodes on more or less a weekly basis. Plenty to trudge through in some circles.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 08, 2016, 04:51:23 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on August 05, 2016, 11:01:19 PM
;D

My bullshitometer explodes on more or less a weekly basis. Plenty to trudge through in some circles.

Trying hard to develop a Bullshitometer high-speed emergency shunt. Been using http://www.creationism.org as a test but, so far, can't find a fast enough shit-switch.

Damn, there it goes again!!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on August 08, 2016, 05:06:33 PM
Trying hard to develop a Bullshitometer high-speed emergency shunt. Been using http://www.creationism.org as a test but, so far, can't find a fast enough shit-switch.

Damn, there it goes again!!

:lol:

I'll use that site if and whenever I want to torture myself.

Magdalena

News:
QuoteMy bullshitometer just exploded!

:frolic:

Thank you, News God, whoever you are!  :grin:

I was trying to figure out how to say this in Spanish, in case I need it one day...
"Mi mierdometro acaba de explotar."  :P

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on August 09, 2016, 11:20:54 PM
News:

I was trying to figure out how to say this in Spanish, in case I need it one day...

Mierda has that connotation in Spanish? In Portuguese it's a little different, merda is more "shit" than "bullshit".

Mental note to self: add "besteirômetro" to vocabulary. :grin: 

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 10, 2016, 11:00:24 PM
News:

Mierda has that connotation in Spanish? In Portuguese it's a little different, merda is more "shit" than "bullshit".

In the USA there is: Chicken shit: A worthless or contemptible person. Bullshit: A blatant lie. Horseshit: Being worse than bull shit. Regular human shit and I don't know what other type of shit there is. Where I come from, when we say "Shit," we mean, "Shit—just plain shit." We don't usually specify where it comes from. We could say, "mierda de toro," or "bullshit" but this is only to specify where it comes from—literally. Mierda de toro would not be used as an insult, it wouldn't make sense.

...So, term-o-metro...bullshit-o-meter...mierda, mierd-o-metro. ;D
I just made it up, I think it works.  :grin:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on August 11, 2016, 05:00:16 AM
News:

In the USA there is: Chicken shit: A worthless or contemptible person. Bullshit: A blatant lie. Horseshit: Being worse than bull shit. Regular human shit and I don't know what other type of shit there is.

That is a nice variety! :grin: I like to use "pile of excrement". :smilenod:

QuoteWhere I come from, when we say "Shit," we mean, "Shit—just plain shit." We don't usually specify where it comes from. We could say, "mierda de toro," or "bullshit" but this is only to specify where it comes from—literally. Mierda de toro would not be used as an insult, it wouldn't make sense.

This is exactly the case in Portuguese as well, which I find interesting.

Quote...So, term-o-metro...bullshit-o-meter...mierda, mierd-o-metro. ;D

It's a good new word! :smilenod:

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 12, 2016, 02:30:26 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on August 11, 2016, 05:00:16 AM
News:

In the USA there is: Chicken shit: A worthless or contemptible person. Bullshit: A blatant lie. Horseshit: Being worse than bull shit. Regular human shit and I don't know what other type of shit there is.

That is a nice variety! :grin: I like to use "pile of excrement". :smilenod:

QuoteWhere I come from, when we say "Shit," we mean, "Shit—just plain shit." We don't usually specify where it comes from. We could say, "mierda de toro," or "bullshit" but this is only to specify where it comes from—literally. Mierda de toro would not be used as an insult, it wouldn't make sense.

This is exactly the case in Portuguese as well, which I find interesting.

Quote...So, term-o-metro...bullshit-o-meter...mierda, mierd-o-metro. ;D

It's a good new word! :smilenod:

I also find the whole thing interesting.  ;D
And please don't let me get started with the word, "Ass...."
All sorts of ass, Jackass: A stupid person. A rat's ass: Indicating that something is worthless. Assclown: A jerk; a buffoon. Badass: "Cool, confident person" A smartass: A person who is an annoying know-it-all. A dumbass: stupid; brainless. Etc., etc., etc.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on August 12, 2016, 05:46:09 AM
I also find the whole thing interesting.  ;D
And please don't let me get started with the word, "Ass...."
All sorts of ass, Jackass: A stupid person. A rat's ass: Indicating that something is worthless. Assclown: A jerk; a buffoon. Badass: "Cool, confident person" A smartass: A person who is an annoying know-it-all. A dumbass: stupid; brainless. Etc., etc., etc.

I thing "half assed" describes the amount of effort I'm going to be able to apply in my activities tomorrow. It's difficult to be a proper iron ass (cu de ferro*) while feeling pain or under the effect of pain meds.

* Someone who sits to study for extended periods of time.