I fear being wrong. Should I read the bible and will it brainwash me?

Started by IDontHateBelievers, May 27, 2016, 07:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on May 28, 2016, 11:50:36 PM
It says why. Because so spake The Asmo.  >:(

Fine.  But just to let you know, the lack of questioning was why I ditched my last god.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 28, 2016, 05:00:57 PM
QuoteShould I read the bible and will it brainwash me?

Swear your self to HAF and you will be gifted an unholy bundle of string which you can use to extricate yourself from unwanted washing, as long as you believe in the string, believe in the string, believe in the string, believe in the string, believe in the string!!!
I want to believe!!!!
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Asmodean

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 28, 2016, 11:52:55 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on May 28, 2016, 11:50:36 PM
It says why. Because so spake The Asmo.  >:(

Fine.  But just to let you know, the lack of questioning was why I ditched my last god.
Ah, yes, but Asmology is clingier than a two days old soda spill.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: IDontHateBelievers on May 27, 2016, 07:30:55 PM
My question is this... should I read the bible so that I can argue from a more knowledgeable pov?

Knowing your terrain helps, so to speak. You will certainly argue from a more knowledgeable pov if you do read your Bible. :smilenod:

I've always wanted to read the whole bible - particularly the King James version - but more for its literary value than actual content. I've never gotten round to it, though.  :P

QuoteAlthough I try not to be biased, I really do not want to become religious because I know how it will alter my life and my perceptions - will reading the bible make me religious (considering the stories religious people love to tell about how "atheist scum reads the bible sees the truth"?
The idea of reading the bible doesn't really interest me and could turn out to be an enormous waste of time though, and even then there might always be another religious voice telling me "oh you should read our book it has a much better understanding of the true god than the christians".

I know of more cases in which religious people became atheists after reading the bible than the other way round, I guess it depends a lot more on how your belief system was structured when you were a believer and your epistemological views. What do you value more, objectivity or subjectivity? Have you had any personal experiences involving religious belief or were you just told that those were true?

I doubt you would like the Christian god if you did read your bible. Christians cherry-pick and speak of love but it seems to me like the worst of human nature was also projected onto that deity...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Hi IDHB

Consider this. You read the Bible and become an expert on its contents. I would contend that it would not help you argue with believers because they are 'believers'. They are not rational or sceptical but irrational and gulible. They don't want to hear rebuttals of their emotional comfort blanket. There are so many contradictions in the Bible that for any rational observation you make about some irrational point the contra argument will exist somewhere else.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

You should read the Bible because it is a significant source of what makes up Western culture.  In your reading, remember that the "Bible" is not one book.  It is a collection of 66 writings, some historical, some non-historical, some literal, some symbolic.  Read it and make up your own mind. Why should you be afraid of written words?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 29, 2016, 03:46:37 PM
Why should you be afraid of written words?

Words have power. Look at at how many people believe those words and the words of other non Xian religious texts. 

Firebird

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 29, 2016, 09:41:58 PM

Words have power. Look at at how many people believe those words and the words of other non Xian religious texts.

Doesn't mean he shouldn't read it and make up his own mind. I agree with Ecurb. Then again, I tried reading it front to back and never made it past Genesis, so what do I know? I was an atheist long before I attempted that project.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Firebird on May 29, 2016, 11:40:24 PM

Doesn't mean he shouldn't read it and make up his own mind. I agree with Ecurb. Then again, I tried reading it front to back and never made it past Genesis, so what do I know? I was an atheist long before I attempted that project.

I'm not saying that I think he shouldn't read it. As I wrote previously, I think that if he wants to argue from a more knowledgeable standpoint then he should read it.

What I meant by my comment was that words have the power to get people to think certain ways, to form opinions and to manipulate those who are vulnerable for whatever reason. Don't underestimate words, especially not those that cause billions (all the religious that base their beliefs on texts, not just Xians) of people to act certain ways. ;)

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 29, 2016, 11:52:56 PM

I'm not saying that I think he shouldn't read it. As I wrote previously, I think that if he wants to argue from a more knowledgeable standpoint then he should read it.

What I meant by my comment was that words have the power to get people to think certain ways, to form opinions and to manipulate those who are vulnerable for whatever reason. Don't underestimate words, especially not those that cause billions (all the religious that base their beliefs on texts, not just Xians) of people to act certain ways. ;)

Still no reason to be afraid of words.  Fear of words is the foundation of censorship.  The title of this thread shows fear of words, of being brainwashed. 

No one

Throwing words around can hurt.  Especially if they are written on a brick

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 30, 2016, 06:29:51 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 29, 2016, 11:52:56 PM

Still no reason to be afraid of words.  Fear of words is the foundation of censorship.  The title of this thread shows fear of words, of being brainwashed.

Not feared, respected.  ;)

Icarus

IDHB, yes do read the bible or at least skim some of the passages in the various books of the bible. Either before or after you do your reading then explore the history of the "bible".   When we use that word, bible, we are generally referring to the most widely used one here in the U.S., which is the King James version or KJV.  Others bibles are pretty much similar but not exactly the same. You might  take note of the fact that so many of the variations of the bible contain words like revised, version, new, and similar words that suggest that the book has been changed from whatever it previously was.

When you have done the most important research, which is the history of the bible, you will have discovered that it is not a reliable source of information. The book is claimed by many to contain the inerrant words of God.  It is actually more of a disjointed novel with which you need to become at least marginally familiar.

You need not have any fear that reading such a tome will give you cause to become religious. There are too many places where it contradicts itself, 462 such places by some counts. There is good stuff in the book such as the story of the good samaritan, but there is also some really strange stuff.  For example: in Samuel 18,  David buys his wife by collecting 200 Philistine foreskins. Really?

Very few of us on the forum hate believers. We don't agree with them in matters of religion but we do hold many believers in high esteem. As a generality we are not much inclined to get into a debate with them although many of us are more than capable of overwhelming them in an intelligent argument. There is simply not much reason to engage in a contest with devout believers so why bother. 

OldGit

I love this contradiction:

Leviticus 20,21
And if a man shall take his brother's wife, it is an unclean thing: he hath uncovered his brother's nakedness; they shall be childless.

Deuteronomy 25,5
If brothers are living together and one of them dies without a son, his widow must not marry outside the family. Her husband's brother shall take her and marry her and fulfill the duty of a brother-in-law to her.

The Leviticus verse was the one on which Henry VIII based his campaign to get his marraige to Catharine of Aragon annulled.