News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Scared of Hell, do you think this is accurate?

Started by manga, April 30, 2017, 09:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on May 01, 2017, 03:54:42 AM
Quote from: No one on May 01, 2017, 02:17:03 AM
mags:
Assuming god and hell are real, there's a reason why god sent someone there, isn't there? Why would god send you there, and then save you?

It's real simple mags, the creator of the universe, is a petty, spiteful prick.

There is that possibility.  :notsure:

...Now the question is:
Why would someone kneel before a petty, spiteful prick?  :eyebrow:

Because you can't get away from people telling you about it, who says the petty spiteful prick is always there, always watching.

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on May 01, 2017, 05:06:20 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 01, 2017, 04:57:09 AM
Quote from: manga on May 01, 2017, 01:14:26 AM
The only thing I wonder is, is it believed in Christianity that if one calls out to Jesus that he will save them, or that he is a light? There are so many of these videos where people describe the exact same events.

Both.  Seriously, you didn't hear these growing up?

Well manga hasn't been instilled in American creationism. Originally from Ukraine.

Um...no.  :notsure:

Please allow me to correct you.
Quote from: manga on April 27, 2017, 09:56:50 PM

Ok, I'm 15, my family is originally from Ukraine, but of Turkish origin. I think they moved from Turkey to Ukraine many generations ago, so they practice Christian faith now. I was brought up in North America, so I attended a Catholic school.

Davin asked:
Quote from: Davin on April 28, 2017, 04:48:01 PM
Quote from: mangaOk, I'm 15, my family is originally from Ukraine, but of Turkish origin. I think they moved from Turkey to Ukraine many generations ago, so they practice Christian faith now. I was brought up in North America, so I attended a Catholic school.
Like Canada?

I was gonna ask: Like Mexico?  :lol:
:secrets1:(Mexico is also located in North America)

Anyways...
There it is.

manga attended a Catholic school but doesn't know much about Jesus.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 01, 2017, 04:57:09 AM
Quote from: manga on May 01, 2017, 01:14:26 AM
The only thing I wonder is, is it believed in Christianity that if one calls out to Jesus that he will save them, or that he is a light? There are so many of these videos where people describe the exact same events.

Both.  Seriously, you didn't hear these growing up?

Even works with adults. Any training scheme is designed to get the people on it thinking the same way about the same things. In the army, after a period of basic training, with dire punishments for infringement of the rules, not doing what the sergeant major (aka "god") or his accolytes, says becomes almost unthinkable. It's also called "conditioning", even "brain washing"; making others, by repeated suggestions and threats, conform with imposed ideas and rules.

If you get old soldiers talking you will hear the same anecdotes over and over again, and similar "tall stories". Shared experience during formative years, or strictly imposed behaviour and thought patterns in later years, creates shared memory, shared imagination, shared responses.

It is the very opposite of independent, personal thought and action. For some it works, they need the rules, others are capable of rational behaviour, recognising that common rules exist naturally. They have the intelligence and integrity to conform with these without the need of threats beyond those imposed by mutually protective laws developed from those common rules.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 01, 2017, 04:59:15 AM

...Now the question is:

:o

Yeah, that didn't come out right, did it?  :notsure:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on May 01, 2017, 05:22:06 AM

...Now the question is:

Not touching that one, I'm just not.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 01, 2017, 05:39:54 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on May 01, 2017, 05:22:06 AM

...Now the question is:

Not touching that one, I'm just not.

No one started it.  :unsure:

Maybe it's true. Maybe someone said, "We will call him petty, spiteful prick."
That explains this:
Sephora:  "Today he sleeps."

Moses:  "Who sleeps?"

Sephora:  "He who has no name."

There's a difference between translating and interpreting.  >:(

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

QuoteThere's a difference between translating and interpreting. 

That is profound, Mags.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

Quote from: manga on April 30, 2017, 09:36:01 PM. . . fear which shields me from being rational, as my fear takes over.

You've described it very well here, manga. As Jonathan Swift said: "Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired."

Until you decide that you're not going to let irrational fear dictate your beliefs, no amount of contrary evidence and logical discussion is going to have much effect. Only when you're willing to let go of the stuff you had poured into your ears when you were younger can you move past this. If you need absolute certainty about this and other topics, you aren't going to find them anywhere but in religion. Maybe you can learn to stifle your doubts or put them aside and go back to accepting the (in my opinion) false certainties that religion provides. If not, given time perhaps you'll be able to reconcile yourself to accepting that even if reason and evidence cannot provide absolute certainty, they're more reliable than YouTube testimonies and people selling books about their experiences in a supposedly spiritual realm.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Gloucester on May 01, 2017, 08:33:58 AM
QuoteThere's a difference between translating and interpreting. 

That is profound, Mags.

I was going for "funny" but "profound" is good.  :snicker:

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on May 01, 2017, 08:10:51 AM
Is God Voldemort?

Sure, why not, in one's crazy realm, anyone can be a god.  :shrug:

I wouldn't kneel before Voldemort, but I wouldn't mind kneeling before this god:

:tellmemore:

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on May 01, 2017, 04:20:40 PM
Is God Voldemort?

I wouldn't kneel before Voldemort, but I wouldn't mind kneeling before this god:

I heard this god doesn't like pupusas... 8)

Sorry, but neither Jesus or Allah can save you, looks like it's some Hindu god.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on May 01, 2017, 05:33:54 PM
Is God Voldemort?

My dear, dear, grumpy Father Bruno, you're having an extremely, extremely busy Monday morning and instead of stopping to smell the wet roses in your garden you stop to break my heart.  >:(

:cryandrun:

He could learn to like them.  :P

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on May 01, 2017, 06:17:58 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on May 01, 2017, 05:33:54 PM
Is God Voldemort?

My dear, dear, grumpy Father Bruno, you're having an extremely, extremely busy Monday morning and instead of stopping to smell the wet roses in your garden you stop to break my heart.  >:(

:cryandrun:

He could learn to like them.  :P

I think Elaine from Seinfeld tried taking that conversion route one time with a guy she really liked, but it didn't work out, something about how you can't compete with people from the other team who own same equipment because it gives them an unfair advantage over those who don't have access to the equipment all of the time.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on May 01, 2017, 10:54:51 AM
Quote from: manga on April 30, 2017, 09:36:01 PM. . . fear which shields me from being rational, as my fear takes over.

You've described it very well here, manga. As Jonathan Swift said: "Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired."

Until you decide that you're not going to let irrational fear dictate your beliefs, no amount of contrary evidence and logical discussion is going to have much effect. Only when you're willing to let go of the stuff you had poured into your ears when you were younger can you move past this. If you need absolute certainty about this and other topics, you aren't going to find them anywhere but in religion. Maybe you can learn to stifle your doubts or put them aside and go back to accepting the (in my opinion) false certainties that religion provides. If not, given time perhaps you'll be able to reconcile yourself to accepting that even if reason and evidence cannot provide absolute certainty, they're more reliable than YouTube testimonies and people selling books about their experiences in a supposedly spiritual realm.

What Recusant says is very relevant to your situation.

Manga. You're 15. You're going through a time of great turmoil. At your age I was the school expert on UFOs. There was nothing I didn't know about them. I had all the books of Erich von Däniken and he could do no wrong as far as I was concerned. I was right and I knew everything. I remember how I felt then trying to make sense of the Universe. Eventually I learned that I would believe what I wanted to. If you choose to believe in Hell it will exist for you as surly as if it were real. Do you really want to go down that route for the rest of your life?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.