News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 23, 2020, 11:17:28 PM
Quote from: Siz on January 23, 2020, 06:25:12 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 23, 2020, 04:23:26 PM
I forgot to take my safety shoes home when I retired, so I currently have none. Probably ought to get some, but the only shoes I can do any standing in are my Hoka One One shoes. My poor arthritic feet can't take anything else. The surgery I endured last May didn't help much for relief.
I just bought some Hoka One as a help for my plantar fasciitis. At £170 ($220) a pair, they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. Hope they last, but so far so good after two months.
Gonna have to go and buy the trainer version now at £105. 🙄

I'll have a look at the trainer version. I went to the client appreciation dinner that our money people throw for the "high rollers" :rolleyes: in jeans and my Hoka One One shoes.  ;D The guy who ran the whole show before is retired now, and he always shows up in jeans, I think I should be allowed.

Reading further in to the Hoka running shoes (yeah, slow work day) - the ones my foot doctor recommended was the Hoka Clifton 6 (actually £120). I notice there is a Hoka Clifton 5 which are much cheaper (around £70). Further research tells me the 6 was upgraded for faster running (slightly firmer sole and flexier uppers). I won't be doing much fast stuff so I think I'd be happy sticking to the 5.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Dark Lightning

Oh, yeah, I remember those. They were not recommended for me because I weigh 216 and would do in the soles too quickly. I need to lose some weight.  :(

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 24, 2020, 07:01:31 PM
Oh, yeah, I remember those. They were not recommended for me because I weigh 216 and would do in the soles too quickly. I need to lose some weight.  :(

Don't we all :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

a surefire way to lose weight is to buy a set of racing leathers that you cannot fit into until you return to the weight you had when you bought them.

my leathers were so expensive that i would rather cut off pieces of flesh with a knife than buy another pair.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on January 24, 2020, 08:34:41 PM
a surefire way to lose weight is to buy a set of racing leathers that you cannot fit into until you return to the weight you had when you bought them.

my leathers were so expensive that i would rather cut off pieces of flesh with a knife than buy another pair.

:rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

joeactor

I tried two models of the Hoka One One. The design and stability of the soles were amazing... but the top didn't really fit my foot well. I've got wide, flat feet.

Went back to wearing Brooks Addiction 13/14 shoes with SuperFeet Bronze insoles. That's the best combo I've found.

Dark Lightning

I had to go to size 13 because of my foot width. I can fit my foot into a size 10 shoe if they were made for ducks. I wear a 5E if I can find it.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

:lol: One would think so, but I don't like immersing myself in other's effluvia. I can swim to save my life, but that's about it. I'm going to have to start water-based exercises though, due to arthritis in my feet limiting my distance walking. I won't be putting my face in the water, in that case. Running is out of the question, too. I never liked the work "geriatric", but have come to terms with that, as the other choice isn't one I want to embrace quite yet.

Bad Penny II

What the fuck snipping tool, what are doing impinging in my picture?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on January 26, 2020, 01:42:37 PM

What the fuck snipping tool, what are doing impinging in my picture?

:lol:

There's a literary saying in Brazil written by a widely read Brazilian author (Machado de Assis) which goes something like, "To the loser, hate and compassion, to the victor, the potatoes!"
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Potatoes are good when you' re hungry......especially when garnished with sour cream and bacon bits.

billy rubin

drove to the bakery supply in a little town above the ohio river and picked up 400 pounds of beet sugar.

i used to feed all my bees fructose syrup in the spring and when they were pollinating. if i bought 400 or 500 gallons at a time it was reasonably cheap, about a dollar a gallon, i think.

this 400 pounds will get mixed with 17 gallons of water to fill up a 55 gallon xrum. it will make a thick syrup that a small colony needs if they dont have drawn comb to strart out on

No one

Just got my anti-zombie apocalypse grenade launcher.

Randy

Pajamas! I didn't realize I was down to two pair until last week. So I bought two more.

It's kind of my wardrobe now.  :grin:
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg