News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Some prints I made in the chemistry department's darkroom when I was a student. I took the photos on Kodak Professional Tri-X black and white film, rated at ISO 400, which has a lovely grain. I liked the textures on the walls and the light and shadow effects in a derelict 1920's era bathing house on the coast near Port Elizabeth. I didn't get around to retouching the dust specks.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

That's really cool. I've thought about getting an old film camera and a development kit.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on September 06, 2019, 11:47:58 AM
That's really cool. I've thought about getting an old film camera and a development kit.

Yes, black and white films are very easy to develop and print. The chemistry department had some really well-equipped darkrooms with only the best equipment. My Physical Chemistry professor encouraged me to also do colour developing and printing, but it's a real pain in the butt. Your bath temperatures must be regulated to within 0.5 °C, which isn't easy. And then to get the colour balance right during the printing is another challenge. I found darkroom work a very antisocial activity. You spend hours of your weekend cloistered in a darkroom, and then if you get two good prints, you are lucky. So, on the whole I stuck to black and white film, mostly Kodak Tri-X, which I bought in cans of 15 meters and loaded it into reusable camera cartridges myself.

I am very happy that I can do all that digitally now, while sitting in an aeroplane seat, or a coffee shop chatting to friends.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Torn posters in Amsterdam. This is an Ektachrome colour slide I took in 1971 - in another life. I thought of Kurt Schwitters the moment I saw this GEB door covered in worn posters and just had to take the shot.

I scanned it this morning to convert it to a TIF, so not the best quality.

― Charles Eames

Buddy

The horses' water trough is now home to a little frog

For some reason imgur is being dumb so the picture is tiny ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

jumbojak

Buddy

Quote from: jumbojak on September 17, 2019, 01:23:11 AM
He found himself a nice pond.

For what is basically a giant bucket, it is a pretty good pond. There's a board for him to get in and out and a few goldfish to keep him company
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Buddy on September 17, 2019, 12:44:52 AM

The horses' water trough is now home to a little frog

For some reason imgur is being dumb so the picture is tiny ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Confused imgur with tinypic?  ;D Our Prince Charles Cavalier Spaniel's tongue sticks out just like in your cat avatar. It's cute looking.

hermes2015

Quote from: Davin on September 17, 2019, 03:19:22 PM
Sky from my parking lot at work.

Wow, that's a beautiful sky. You caught the light at just the right moment.
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 17, 2019, 05:43:21 PM
Quote from: Davin on September 17, 2019, 03:19:22 PM
Sky from my parking lot at work.

Wow, that's a beautiful sky. You caught the light at just the right moment.
True. That is a beautiful sky.  :)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 17, 2019, 05:30:51 PM

Confused imgur with tinypic?  ;D Our Prince Charles Cavalier Spaniel's tongue sticks out just like in your cat avatar. It's cute looking.

I used to prefer imgur over anything else but ever since they started forcing mobile users to use the app it's been more frustrating to use.

I keep rotating avatars every time I find a picture of a black cat doing something weird  :D

That's a great picture Davin, the lightning is fantastic!

jumbojak