News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Beer

Started by Bad Penny II, December 17, 2016, 01:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Tonight I had an Austin Amber, a nice amber ale with a refreshing taste, only about 5% ABV, and a decent complement to the fajitas I was eating.

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 23, 2020, 12:08:32 AM
Tonight I had an Austin Amber, a nice amber ale with a refreshing taste, only about 5% ABV, and a decent complement to the fajitas I was eating.
I had an Australian Foster's Lager the other day. Strong. Right now I'm having a Miller Light. Light.
:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bluenose

Quote from: Magdalena on May 23, 2020, 12:19:39 AM
I had an Australian Foster's Lager the other day. Strong. Right now I'm having a Miller Light. Light.

Community Service Announcement:

Practically no one in Australia drinks Fosters any more, and even when we did, the export variety is a watered down version.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Randy

And here I thought you were a red wine kind of gal.  :sidesmile:
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Magdalena

Quote from: Bluenose on May 23, 2020, 12:35:34 AM

Community Service Announcement:

Practically no one in Australia drinks Fosters any more, and even when we did, the export variety is a watered down version.
:rofl:
Thank you for that!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Randy on May 23, 2020, 12:51:02 AM
I'm a wine girl, period.
I told you there's something about the blood of Jesus that I just love.
*Jesus: Not my Mexican neighbor.  :run!:

I enjoy a beer, sometimes.

Oh! I almost forgot!
You said you were gonna ask your nurse for one...Have you had one yet?

Dark Lightning

Yeah, it doesn't have to have face-planting strength in one bottle to be enjoyable. A couple of exceptions would be Stone Brewing Double Bastard Ale, and their Old Guardian barley wine. Both come in at about 11% so require a bit of time for their consumption. I haven't had either in years, because the local BevMo that used to carry them, doesn't anymore. And I'm not that desperate to go driving around looking for them. I just have a bottle of reagent grade ethanol to nip on. :P I'm joking, but I think I've posted here before about techs in an aerospace company I used to work at using the reagent grade ethanol with a little orange juice while working. I'd've never done that on the shop floor. The cost of the equipment precludes anything but absolute sobriety. I worked on a program where one wiring harness was damaged and cost $.25M to replace. You only get one shot at launching a spacecraft to orbit, and one zorched circuit can ruin the whole thing.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 23, 2020, 02:13:45 AM

Yeah, it doesn't have to have face-planting strength in one bottle to be enjoyable. A couple of exceptions would be Stone Brewing Double Bastard Ale, and their Old Guardian barley wine. Both come in at about 11% so require a bit of time for their consumption. I haven't had either in years, because the local BevMo that used to carry them, doesn't anymore. And I'm not that desperate to go driving around looking for them. I just have a bottle of reagent grade ethanol to nip on. :P I'm joking, but I think I've posted here before about techs in an aerospace company I used to work at using the reagent grade ethanol with a little orange juice while working. I'd've never done that on the shop floor. The cost of the equipment precludes anything but absolute sobriety. I worked on a program where one wiring harness was damaged and cost $.25M to replace. You only get one shot at launching a spacecraft to orbit, and one zorched circuit can ruin the whole thing.

Years ago, in another life, one of the lab technicians, who attended a GC-MS training course I gave at an environmental lab, wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box. He took what he thought was a bottle of AR grade ethanol home to make punch for a party. Unfortunately, he had misread the label on the bottle, and he and two other people at the party died of methanol poisoning.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 23, 2020, 05:04:40 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 23, 2020, 02:13:45 AM

Years ago, in another life, one of the lab technicians, who attended a GC-MS training course I gave at an environmental lab, wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box. He took what he thought was a bottle of AR grade ethanol home to make punch for a party. Unfortunately, he had misread the label on the bottle, and he and two other people at the party died of methanol poisoning.

That's horrible. It would have been "better" if they'd only ended up blind, I guess. Damn, that stinks. :(

Randy

Quote from: Magdalena on May 23, 2020, 01:17:23 AM
Quote from: Randy on May 23, 2020, 12:51:02 AM
I'm a wine girl, period.
I told you there's something about the blood of Jesus that I just love.
*Jesus: Not my Mexican neighbor.  :run!:

I enjoy a beer, sometimes.

Oh! I almost forgot!
You said you were gonna ask your nurse for one...Have you had one yet?

Hardly! They seem to frown on giving patients alcohol although I'm sure they imbibe some. I do plan on asking for one toward the end.

Now my caretaker I might ask at some point. I'm on an awful lot of medication though so I don't know what the ramifications might be. But there is going to come a point in time where no one is going to care if I have one.

I get to speak to my nurse practitioner from the palliative care team about what her and my oncology team talked about. Maybe I'll learn more about why they've cut the dosage of my chemo in half. I wasn't satisfied with my doctor's answer.

Anyway, I get the feeling they are going to stop pretty soon or switch me over to another. I don't know what that will be since I think I've exhausted all the chemicals they can infuse. What I'm getting at, in a round about way, is that maybe my taste for things will come back more and then I can enjoy a beer. :)  :drink:
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Icarus

Hermes there are, or were during the prohibition era, a gazillion desperate alkies who used Sterno ( the little cans that campers use to heat food or beverage) to sate their appetite for alcohol.  Sterno uses Methyl alcohol for the flammable component.  No telling how many of them died or went blind but they used it often.

Dark Lightning

Plus the combustion byproducts are bad for you. I've been to many a working lunch where the Sterno was blazing away. The INSTANT a tray was empty I'd cap the tin without waiting for the cafeteria people. Yeesh.

billy rubin

american folk instructions for distilling corn whiskey call for discarding the the first fraction, az it i's high in methanol and zome other compounds

ketones? cant remember

i expected nothing but im still disappointed

Randy

A few years ago my brother bought a home making beer kit. He also bought a book about making beer.

In the book, it said something like (I'm paraphrasing here), "We can't legally tell you how to distill your own liquor. But if we could, this is what we'd say." And it began with the instructions.

I don't know whether he made any liquor but he made some good ales with a bit of potency.