News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Science GIFS

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 21, 2016, 11:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

joeactor

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Icarus

Really neat stuff xSP.

I've been a student of aerodynamics and hydrodynamics ever since the advent of sliced bread. Ornithopters are  practitioners of  mysterious physics.

xSilverPhinx

Essie Mae

Quote from: Mr. B on September 10, 2016, 05:39:09 AM
Quote from: Essie Mae on September 03, 2016, 09:59:44 AM
Is there any evidence that people with the condition suffer with depression because of it, or is just their normal and not a cause for sadness? As they grow up they must become aware they are not having the same experience as everyone else.

I have never heard of anyone being depressed because of their color vision deficiency. I have certainly never experienced it for myself. Everything looks the same to me as it did when I was born. There have been people who have made fun of me for it but there have also been people who have made fun of me for my hair, my height, my weight, my political views, my religion or lack thereof, my sexuality, my service in the armed forces, the color of my skin, my ignorance and my sense of humor.  It doesn't matter who you are, what you are, what you believe. There will always be someone there to ridicule you for who you are. These things shouldn't matter. At least, they don't matter to me. If some Democratic "leader" wants to give me some money taken from you to compensate me for my "disability" then they can shove that particular carrot up their ass.

I am a pressman. I operate a four color offset press and I produce beautiful work with a printing machine very similar to this one.

Maybe some people get depressed. Maybe some people use a Gretag MacBeth DC19

A 'No' then. I'm pleased, but sorry to hear you had so much teasing. To have as much as that was verging on bullying surely?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

MariaEvri

God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Mr. B

Is there any evidence that people with the condition suffer with depression because of it, or is just their normal and not a cause for sadness? As they grow up they must become aware they are not having the same experience as everyone else.

I have never heard of anyone being depressed because of their color vision deficiency. I have certainly never experienced it for myself. Everything looks the same to me as it did when I was born. There have been people who have made fun of me for it but there have also been people who have made fun of me for my hair, my height, my weight, my political views, my religion or lack thereof, my sexuality, my service in the armed forces, the color of my skin, my ignorance and my sense of humor.  It doesn't matter who you are, what you are, what you believe. There will always be someone there to ridicule you for who you are. These things shouldn't matter. At least, they don't matter to me.

QuoteA 'No' then. I'm pleased, but sorry to hear you had so much teasing. To have as much as that was verging on bullying surely?

Yeah but my parents instructed me to tease them right back. It worked well for me in elementary with the small group of kids I grew up with but in Jr. High we were scattered to the four winds as five or six elementary schools were all mixed together.  I became depressed and bitter but continued to shoot back at people who teased me. I never let it show that it bothered me in the least. In fact, I usually teased them back with a big smile on my face like we were just playing a game. By the time I got to high school I could no longer tell the difference when someone was actually threatening me, looking for a fight, or just clowning around.

Looking back, I had a lot more friends than I realized at the time. After high school I ran into some of the guys I considered enemies at the time because they teased me the most. Turns out they remembered things differently. They remembered me as having the toughest skin, that nothing ever bothered me and they lamented about how they wished they could have been as strong and fearless as I was. They even got into a minor disagreement about who was my friend first or who knew me the longest. It was surreal.

So, what I described in my previous post does sound like bullying but it was just the games we played growing up, testing each other for weakness. It was universal in that we all made fun of each other pretty equally even though we each felt that we were getting picked on more than the others.

In my mind, bullying entails a concentrated effort to systematically isolate one individual for special ongoing constant abuse, usually over one specific aspect of their personality or lifestyle. I didn't experience anything like that. What I experienced was a whole bunch of people throwing random shit against the wall to see if anything would stick.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Essie Mae

Quote from: Mr. B on October 22, 2016, 04:24:44 PM

I have never heard of anyone being depressed because of their color vision deficiency. I have certainly never experienced it for myself. Everything looks the same to me as it did when I was born. There have been people who have made fun of me for it but there have also been people who have made fun of me for my hair, my height, my weight, my political views, my religion or lack thereof, my sexuality, my service in the armed forces, the color of my skin, my ignorance and my sense of humor.  It doesn't matter who you are, what you are, what you believe. There will always be someone there to ridicule you for who you are. These things shouldn't matter. At least, they don't matter to me.

QuoteA 'No' then. I'm pleased, but sorry to hear you had so much teasing. To have as much as that was verging on bullying surely?

Yeah but my parents instructed me to tease them right back. It worked well for me in elementary with the small group of kids I grew up with but in Jr. High we were scattered to the four winds as five or six elementary schools were all mixed together.  I became depressed and bitter but continued to shoot back at people who teased me. I never let it show that it bothered me in the least. In fact, I usually teased them back with a big smile on my face like we were just playing a game. By the time I got to high school I could no longer tell the difference when someone was actually threatening me, looking for a fight, or just clowning around.

Looking back, I had a lot more friends than I realized at the time. After high school I ran into some of the guys I considered enemies at the time because they teased me the most. Turns out they remembered things differently. They remembered me as having the toughest skin, that nothing ever bothered me and they lamented about how they wished they could have been as strong and fearless as I was. They even got into a minor disagreement about who was my friend first or who knew me the longest. It was surreal.

So, what I described in my previous post does sound like bullying but it was just the games we played growing up, testing each other for weakness. It was universal in that we all made fun of each other pretty equally even though we each felt that we were getting picked on more than the others.

In my mind, bullying entails a concentrated effort to systematically isolate one individual for special ongoing constant abuse, usually over one specific aspect of their personality or lifestyle. I didn't experience anything like that. What I experienced was a whole bunch of people throwing random shit against the wall to see if anything would stick.

I'm glad for you that you did not feel you were  bullied. You must be very quick-thinking to have been able to come up with an effective reply to the teasing. Would you say you are an example of 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'? And do you feel you have friends now to a greater extent than before? Questions, questions; but that was such a moving and fascinating reply and I'd like it if things are better for you now.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

Icarus

^ WOW! Virus trading cards.  A more useful trading card than the baseball ones.

xSilverPhinx