News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

That is a good reason to be grumpy!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

yes. the oil industry requires human sacrifices for transgressions.

i was working on a refinery site once and a pipe rolled off a trailer during unloading and fell two feet to the ground. the entire materials crew was fired-- five people-- including the forklift driver who had his back to the whole thing and the supervisor who wasnt even there. i kept my job only because i was in a warehouse a mile awayat the time

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

well i have so many contacts in the industry here i havent had to lok for a job longer than 30 minutes when it does happen. so it coukd be worse

i keep an undated resignation letter with me so i can hand it in when they want to fire me. keeps my record clear and they dont need to do as much paperwork

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on February 11, 2021, 01:33:22 PM
well i have so many contacts in the industry here i havent had to lok for a job longer than 30 minutes when it does happen. so it coukd be worse

i keep an undated resignation letter with me so i can hand it in when they want to fire me. keeps my record clear and they dont need to do as much paperwork

It makes sense to want to keep your record clear, but do they pay a recision fee if they fire you? Over here, the longer you're employed, the more employers have to pay upon firing an employee.

billy rubin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 11, 2021, 01:41:42 PM
It makes sense to want to keep your record clear, but do they pay a recision fee if they fire you? Over here, the longer you're employed, the more employers have to pay upon firing an employee.

nah, up here in the land of the free, we're all under what's called "at will" employment. it means that any employer can let you go at any time for any reason, or for no reason. at the same time, i'm not under any obligation to stay employed.

written employment contracts are sometimes used for white collar work, but most americans work under "at will." in previous generations, blue collar workers were likely to be rpresented by a union. but union membership is the exception now, and only exists in the older traditional trades.

the only union available to me as a truck driver would be the teamsters, who have an illustrious history of corruption, and aren't involved in the oil field work anyway.

Icarus

Billy, I have gotten the impression that oil field work is on the decline because of Bidens' green rulings.  For sure I would not invest in petroleum stocks at this time. 

Hauling sand is likely to be a more secure job.  Sand?  Yep, there is something of a shortage of it.  Seems like we have used up a large part of our silica sand reserve.  All that concrete in interstate highways, urban sidewalks, high rise apartments....and cat boxes....has taken a toll. 

billy rubin

well, i'm not out of it yet. the sand is used as a proppant in fraccing oil wells, so i'm still joined at the hip. i've been dependant on th eoil industry since the day i was born, off and on

but even though our dependance ion oil is in ultimate decline, we're still not going to get away from it anytime soon. not until wer're willing to do without plastic, fertilizer, lights, heat, transportation, shipping, railways, aviation, and so on.

i'm not preachng, because i'd like to move beyond a fossil fuel economy. but until we all change the way we live, it will not happen, and it will never happen quickly.  it will go away eventually, but not until we have economical substitutes, and we don't have em yet.

here's some USGS stuff on it

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-hydraulic-fracturing

Randy

A little more than a month ago I was unconscious and rushed to the hospital in an ambulance. One of my family members gave one of the ambulance people my ID and insurance card. I noticed in my wallet yesterday that I didn't have them. My caregiver was told they were sent home with me but we can't find them if that is true.

So, we get a replacement insurance card sent out. That was easy enough. To get my ID? I first have to have my ID number. I don't have that. I don't memorize every card number that I have.

So I'm frustrated with the hospital and the driver's license bureau.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

how are you supposed to get a replacement ID if you need the lost ID to get the replacement ID?

i'm thinking somebody isn't.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: billy rubin on February 16, 2021, 08:43:20 PM
how are you supposed to get a replacement ID if you need the lost ID to get the replacement ID?

i'm thinking somebody isn't.

But those are the rules Mr K,
we must all follow the rules.
Else the world 'd go to ruin
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

billy rubin

sometmes the rules can just be ignored, if everybody agrees

years ago before i was married to my now wife, i was married to someone else and we chose a hyphenated last name: hers, a hyphen, then mine. legally changed etc, even changed my name on my government ID card, the social security number thats i use to pay taxes.

ten years go by, we divorce, i marry someone else, go back to using my first name. in america you can do that in some states. your legal name is whatever you are using.very simple.

except after ten years or so i go to change the name on the ID card. they say no.

why?

you have to document a legal name change.

it was a legal name change.

then our office needs to see various forms of currently valid ID with the first namebefore we can change it to what ypoure using now,

i haven't used that name in ten years. nothing is valid, and all my IDs use my current legal name.

sorry, this is very simple. no.

so  now i have two legal names. one i use every day and have used for thirty years, and another one that appears only on federal ID cards and also when i pay my taxes using the other name.

they're happy with it, nobody has complained, and im not to confuse things by bringing it up again..

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on February 17, 2021, 04:05:21 PM
sometmes the rules can just be ignored, if everybody agrees

years ago before i was married to my now wife, i was married to someone else and we chose a hyphenated last name: hers, a hyphen, then mine. legally changed etc, even changed my name on my government ID card, the social security number thats i use to pay taxes.

ten years go by, we divorce, i marry someone else, go back to using my first name. in america you can do that in some states. your legal name is whatever you are using.very simple.

except after ten years or so i go to change the name on the ID card. they say no.

why?

you have to document a legal name change.

it was a legal name change.

then our office needs to see various forms of currently valid ID with the first namebefore we can change it to what ypoure using now,

i haven't used that name in ten years. nothing is valid, and all my IDs use my current legal name.

sorry, this is very simple. no.

so  now i have two legal names. one i use every day and have used for thirty years, and another one that appears only on federal ID cards and also when i pay my taxes using the other name.

they're happy with it, nobody has complained, and im not to confuse things by bringing it up again..
I still haven't gone to the driver's license bureau. I'm fairly certain that I'll have to pay for a renewal. Anyway, I haven't felt good this week. Maybe next week we'll get to it. It doesn't make any sense. Use my social security number, mail it to the address on the card, just something other than going through this again.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

No one

Rules? We don't need no stinking rules!

xSilverPhinx

My headphones uttered their last static-y words yesterday evening. Now I can't isolate the outer world from the music I want to listen to. Rest in peace, headphones.