News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Firebird

My cat is dying.
She's 17, though we've only had her for about 6 of those years. We noticed she hadn't been eating much and took her to the vet a few days ago. They were concerned enough to send her to the hospital, which diagnosed her with lymphoma. Not only that, it's a rare and more aggressive form.
We scheduled chemo for next week as it apparently does provide better quality of life and maybe a few more months, and took her home tonight. But as soon as she came out of her carrier, she could barely stand and was wobbling on her back legs. Back to the hospital, which thinks something neurological is going on (stroke? Cancer spread to brain?) They're monitoring her tonight and will see if they can get her on chemo asap, unless it's clear she's suffering.
I know she doesn't have much time left, it's heartbreaking but we can deal. But the thought of having to explain this to my 3 year old is terrifying.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Firebird on October 25, 2019, 05:00:25 AM
My cat is dying.

Jumbo

These posts appeared in this order in recent posts.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

jumbojak

My cat is dying.
She's 17, though we've only had her for about 6 of those years. We noticed she hadn't been eating much and took her to the vet a few days ago. They were concerned enough to send her to the hospital, which diagnosed her with lymphoma. Not only that, it's a rare and more aggressive form.
We scheduled chemo for next week as it apparently does provide better quality of life and maybe a few more months, and took her home tonight. But as soon as she came out of her carrier, she could barely stand and was wobbling on her back legs. Back to the hospital, which thinks something neurological is going on (stroke? Cancer spread to brain?) They're monitoring her tonight and will see if they can get her on chemo asap, unless it's clear she's suffering.
I know she doesn't have much time left, it's heartbreaking but we can deal. But the thought of having to explain this to my 3 year old is terrifying.

With a seventeen years old cat it was bound to happen. Best of luck explaining the situation. I don't envy your position in either respect.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

i am sorry to hear that.

there is an elm tree south of my barn. under it are buried six dogs, going back 27 years.

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Tank

My cat is dying.

Such a shame to lose a well loved pet. As far as a 3 year old is concerned I don't think there is any point in going into death as she really doesn't understand what being alive is yet. When we had pet deaths where the child did not witness the death we simply told the kids '(Pet) has gone to live with her mummy.' When the kids were old enough to discuss and understand death we would recall that 'Pet' had left and then explain what had really happened.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on October 25, 2019, 11:46:07 AM
i am sorry to hear that.

there is an elm tree south of my barn. under it are buried six dogs, going back 27 years.

Our back garden has 3 dogs, 2 guinea pigs, 2 gerbils and some gold fish.

Buddy

My cat is dying.

I am so sorry to hear that Firebird.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tom62

Sorry to hear that bad news Firebird.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

Sorry to hear that, Firebird. Losing a pet is one of the worst feelings in the world.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Always sad to lose a pet. My condolences, Firebird.

Firebird

Thanks everyone.
We made the tough decision to put her down tonight. It was painful, but also the right thing to do. I was there and she was clearly deteriorating. Even if she got better we only would have gotten a couple more months with chemo. It wouldn't have been fair to her to keep trying to prop her up.
We'll tell the 3 year old tomorrow morning and see how it goes. She's resilient but also loved her a lot, so it could go either way.

Buddy

Many condolences Firebird. That must have been very hard to make a choice like that. It's clear that you loved her a lot.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.