Started by Recusant, February 13, 2020, 06:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on February 18, 2020, 03:35:18 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on February 18, 2020, 12:50:11 AM
Quote from: Davin on February 17, 2020, 04:02:11 PM
Well that sounds like drama.
It does. I don't like it.

~You guys should take your dirty laundry and wash it over there.

It reminds me of when Nam called me an asshole and went to talk about me on another forum.
It's happened to me before as well. At least, in this case, the person is directly addressing the person in question.

Yes, the person is directly addressing the person in question, but the person in question is totally ignoring them. The person in question has not responded to the laughs or the accusations. From far away, it looks as if it was a bad breakup and the person who was dumped can't let go.  :shrug:

Quote from: Davin on February 18, 2020, 03:35:18 PM
I think there is a valid reason to show if a person is on the level or not if they have a bad history on other forums. In this case though, it doesn't feel right, it only feels like drama. I don't think we need that here.
People with  a bad history on other forums show who they are everywhere they go, they don't need an introduction. In this case, I agree with you, it doesn't feel right, it only feels like drama, but drama coming only from the one addressing the person in question. We don't need it. It looks ugly.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Quote from: Inertialmass on February 18, 2020, 05:59:30 PM
Quote from: Davin on February 18, 2020, 05:21:13 PM
...You may not have seen my discussions with them, but billy rubin doesn't like the way I discuss things.

I've very much noticed Kev kev billy the oilfield sand blender tech snip at your daring insolence. 

Then I very much noticed an HA Mod snip at you, Davin, for telling it like it is.  Right then and there I decided the thrust of this Forum appears to be not honesty but decorum.  Pffffft.

It's part of the job of a mod to tell us when we go too far. I don't always agree, but I do agree that sometimes I go too far.

We can value both honesty and decorum. You're not being snipped at by me here, I'm only giving my opinion of what is going on as I see it.

If what you say is true, it's not the first time I've seen something like it. On one forum a person would take the role of defending a position, and another they would play the role of doing the opposite. Then after one or two posts, they would copy and paste posts of the users on either forum, changing a little here and there to stir the shit, as if it was coming from them. That was a bit more creative. Even in that case I still think it's important to maintain decorum.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: Inertialmass on February 18, 2020, 04:44:30 PM
Would you feel better if I or others who have already had these same discussions elsewhere with "billy rubin" began actively participating right here?

Naaaah.

Know why?

Because Billy, right here, right now, is parroting the very arguments which we presented to him a few months ago!  This little fuker is plagiarizing my own rhetorical devices!!!  Reading this stenography now is a totally otherworldly, surreal experience, Billy's invented biographical details becoming inverted here at HAF only in order to service the borrowed polemical point.  Funny ain't it that Billy's Okie parents could change their worldviews five or six decades after they're departed this world right in concert with Billy's changing worldviews, no?

But hey, don't let us stop you from playing along.  Happy disbelieving!!!

Inertialmass

The highlighted comment is in direct contravention to the forum rules. Consider this a gentle reminder. Don't behave like this again please.

Tank
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Don't assume that because I don't like the dramatic way you're presenting things, means that I trust or believe billy rubin. I can't even be sure you're not a puppet of them trying to cause drama and fighting on the forum. A lone troll is tollerable, what we don't want is a forum of people fighting and being assholes to each other.

It might help if you addressed the plagiarism where it arises by making well sourced and detailed points.

You may not have seen my discussions with them, but billy rubin doesn't like the way I discuss things.

Spot on.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on February 18, 2020, 08:12:55 PM
Don't assume that because I don't like the dramatic way you're presenting things, means that I trust or believe billy rubin. I can't even be sure you're not a puppet of them trying to cause drama and fighting on the forum. A lone troll is tollerable, what we don't want is a forum of people fighting and being assholes to each other.

It might help if you addressed the plagiarism where it arises by making well sourced and detailed points.

You may not have seen my discussions with them, but billy rubin doesn't like the way I discuss things.

Spot on.

:this:

It's a little unsettling when someone follows a person here in order to bring a toxic presence or harass another member. It's stalkerish and quite frankly, makes it seem like they have way too much time on their hands. I may not agree with billy rubin on many things but so far he has followed the forum rules and has ignored the obvious jabs. I don't know what the intention behind this harassment is, but we don't gang up on a member based on rumour or hearsay.

With that said, both honesty and decorum are important, and even in the event of a member not being honest decorum is still important. Calling someone "a little fuker" won't get you anywhere.   

So, why don't we just chill a little?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Inertialmass

This is THE most boring online "atheist" forum that ever existed.  After Tank dizzily told me "I.... can't.... resist...  A planet sized asteroid would be a planet," I found myself departing the vacuousness for 7 1/2 years.  Vacation pictures?  Teen angst, meaninglessness and postpubescent nihilism in 5000 words???  More like watching canasta at the Senior Center. 

Dudes and dudettes, admit you want the drama.  You need the drama.  Admit you love the chance to each spout off your oh so eloquent self-righteousness.  Lastly, admit that at some subconscious level you know very well Billy/Kev's a total bullshitter but anything's better than total boredom, eh?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Inertialmass on February 18, 2020, 10:42:54 PM
This is THE most boring online "atheist" forum that ever existed.  After Tank dizzily told me "I.... can't.... resist...  A planet sized asteroid would be a planet," I found myself departing the vacuousness for 7 1/2 years.  Vacation pictures?  Teen angst, meaninglessness and postpubescent nihilism in 5000 words???  More like watching canasta at the Senior Center. 

Dudes and dudettes, admit you want the drama.  You need the drama.  Admit you love the chance to each spout off your oh so eloquent self-righteousness.  Lastly, admit that at some subconscious level you know very well Billy/Kev's a total bullshitter but anything's better than total boredom, eh?

What are you even doing here then? Serious question. Don't you have anything better to do?

Trolls bring drama, and in spite of what you may think, we don't need trolls here.

Magdalena

Inertialmass, please, stop it. No one here enjoys your drama, you're acting...

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

Not saying that it's true in Billy's case, but once I see disparities in what a person posts, I just generally tend to take their statements with a cube of salt. I see a guy on another couple of sites that has what I would call a "Walter Mitty Complex". The crazy, brave, world-saving things he comes up with having done just gives me huge eye-rolls. Sometimes people just like to tell stories without due regard for the fact that other people might check them up on them. Don't get me wrong, I like people to be honest, maybe even more than most people seem to be able to tolerate. Somebody wants to be bigger than life, they do it on the internet. Reference the other thread where it was mentioned, "The older I get, the better I was!".  ;D

ETA, you say it's "boring", I say that it's a bit of a respite from the shrillness that I see just about everywhere, atheist forum or not. YMMV. It isn't all about shredding people, everywhere on the internet. I wish there were more places like this. I've seen people disagree and work through that disagreement without acrimony. Now that's a concept that could use some spreading around.

Bad Penny II

This is THE most boring online "atheist" forum that ever existed
That sounds subjective to me, I think we should have a poll.

I found myself departing the vacuousness for 7 1/2 years.  Vacation pictures?  Teen angst, meaninglessness and postpubescent nihilism in 5000 words???  More like watching canasta at the Senior Center.   

Why don't they let you play Canasta at the senior centre?

Dudes and dudettes, admit you want the drama.  You need the drama.  Admit you love the chance to each spout off your oh so eloquent self-righteousness

I don't like rubbish drama which isn't subjective at all, it's what I say it is.

Lastly, admit that at some subconscious level you know very well Billy/Kev's a total bullshitter but anything's better than total boredom, eh?

If he says one truthful thing he isn't a total bullshitter and I'm resigned to not knowing things anyway.
Total boredom?
How can I be totally bored when there's all this engrossing meaninglessness going on?
And you've always got me.
Of course, of course, I've always got you.
I recommend bifurcation to all of the bored out there.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

The smart bet? Which wins, sneering at the bête noire, or sloping off due to boredom? :thoughtful:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Quote from: Recusant on February 20, 2020, 01:36:25 AM
The smart bet? Which wins, sneering at the bête noire, or sloping off due to boredom? :thoughtful:

I think I lost that bet.  :sadnod:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on February 22, 2020, 05:49:14 PM
Quote from: Recusant on February 20, 2020, 01:36:25 AM

I think I lost that bet.  :sadnod:

There is always a third option! :grin:

Recusant

Rather than once again "departing the vacuousness" the person chose to continue to indulge what appears to be somewhat of an obsession. Escalating the contumely, they invited the banning. So sneering at the bête noire but also generally (with relish, and directed at least one other specific target) won out over leaving due to boredom, so yes, I lost the bet. :sad sigh:
— H. L. Mencken