News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Should we have an athiest forum?

Started by Tank, August 02, 2011, 01:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I'm sure this question has come up before but I don't recall seeing it elsewhere. We have a religion forum but not an athiest forum. This seems a little odd. Is there a reason behind this situation?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

What is there specific to atheism that isn't covered by philosophy, media, etc?

Tank

Quote from: Whitney on August 02, 2011, 02:36:25 PM
What is there specific to atheism that isn't covered by philosophy, media, etc?
I wondered if this would be the reason, and it makes sense but I don't see 'philosophy' as a comfortable or inviting forum to post in, it feels high-brow and intimidating. Just seems odd for an atheist forum not to have an obvious place to discuss atheism.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

fester30

I'm not sure it's necessary.  Think about it.  Atheism is lack of belief in deities, right?  So if nobody believed in deities there wouldn't be any such thing as atheism.  Atheism in and of itself isn't really a topic of conversation, but a lack of one.  Our entire reason for talking about it in the first place is that there are religions in existence that wind up putting us into a minority status, sometimes denied equal rights, other times persecuted.  Therefore, in my mind, everything that there is to talk about atheism is reactionary to topics that come up in religion, philosophy, etc.  We sort of have to wait for there to be a belief in a god that affects us before we have something to talk about regarding our lack of beliefs.  Anything we talk about can be discussed from an atheist perspective, like science, but does not require discussion of an atheist perspective.

That's just my .02

Tank

And a perfectly reasonable and accurate $0.02 it is to.

However, my point isn't as much logical as emotional. Lots of the people who join here are just discovering their new atheist world view. They have not yet reached the level of understanding you so eloquently described above. So, does this noob to the forum and atheism feel comfortable posting in a forum called philosophy? I would contend that they do not.

I think an area specifically called 'Atheism' would be easy to understand and attractive to new members and new atheists.

That's my $0.02   ;D

Whitney

Is there perhaps another type of description that describes the point of such a forum other than just calling it atheism forum?  Perhaps a Recovering From Religion section is what you are thinking of?

Tank

Quote from: Whitney on August 02, 2011, 06:06:14 PM
Is there perhaps another type of description that describes the point of such a forum other than just calling it atheism forum?  Perhaps a Recovering From Religion section is what you are thinking of?
Good question. Recovering from religion would be one important area, but that is a very specific issue, I was thinking of a more general and inviting forum title. We don't know what potential members are looking to discuss or why, but one thing we do know is that the word atheism will be somewhere in the mix. I just think it is a confusing situation to search in Google for an atheist forum to join and not find an area about atheism in that forum. I think we should present a forum that satisfies the expectations of the new atheist and also those who have a simplistic view when they arrive. We also have younger members who may not yet reached a level of understanding/appreciation that philosophy is an appropriate place to discuss their new world view.

People often come here in a confused state looking for an approachable place to discuss their new atheist world view not their new philosophy, although that is exactly what they will be doing in practice.

Whitney

How many people really expect a subsection about atheism on a forum that is already dedicated to being a place for those that don't believe?

If they want to bitch about religion there is the religion section.  If they want help we have the help desk, if they have a pet cause we have an area for that etc...

Maybe we just need a softer label for the philosophy area?

Tank

Quote from: Whitney on August 02, 2011, 07:21:46 PM
How many people really expect a subsection about atheism on a forum that is already dedicated to being a place for those that don't believe?
No idea. I feel a poll coming on  ;D

Quote from: Whitney on August 02, 2011, 07:21:46 PMIf they want to bitch about religion there is the religion section.  If they want help we have the help desk, if they have a pet cause we have an area for that etc...
But we don't have an area to discuss the main theme (or at least the title) of the forum, atheism.

Quote from: Whitney on August 02, 2011, 07:21:46 PM
Maybe we just need a softer label for the philosophy area?
Possibly, but then there are subjects that are accurately described as philosophy.

I'm just looking to help make the forum appear to be a little bit more 'on topic' and inviting. It's a marketing thing as much as anything.

Whitney

let's look at this another way....

What atheist forums have sections dedicated to atheism and does their organizational approach of forums in any way make sense for how our forums are set up?

Davin

I don't think these forums require it, we currently discuss atheism in various ways in all the forums as is.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: Whitney on August 02, 2011, 07:59:14 PM
let's look at this another way....

What atheist forums have sections dedicated to atheism and does their organizational approach of forums in any way make sense for how our forums are set up?

I have frequented 3 other atheist forums and they have all had a section dedicated to atheism, which is possibly why I expected to see one here. But the fact that three other atheist forums have an athiest section is no reason to have one here. The other forums were set up in a very similar organisational way to this one.

One thread that was highly active at RDF was 'Where do you sit on the atheist scale?' I supose that would go in Philosophy here.

Tank

Quote from: Davin on August 02, 2011, 08:12:13 PM
I don't think these forums require it, we currently discuss atheism in various ways in all the forums as is.
Well as we don't have an atheist area we have no choice do we?  ;D
So are we creating an academic division that makes no sense to potential members?

Davin

Quote from: Tank on August 02, 2011, 09:21:39 PMSo are we creating an academic division that makes no sense to potential members?
I'm not clear on what you mean, when I first joined here I had no difficulties making sense of the forums or the divisions.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: Davin on August 02, 2011, 09:44:17 PM
Quote from: Tank on August 02, 2011, 09:21:39 PMSo are we creating an academic division that makes no sense to potential members?
I'm not clear on what you mean, when I first joined here I had no difficulties making sense of the forums or the divisions.
I'm not surprised, you're a bright person. Not everybody is that bright. I do find it odd we don't have an area dedicated to discussing atheism. But maybe that's just me.