News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

analyzedatheist

Given my undying positive attitude, a good reason to be cheerful is just being alive.  As an atheist I value this life, the only life I have, and I do my best to live it to the fullest and be as good as I can be every day.  My chances of actually being here are so small that sometimes I marvel at my own existence.  I feel very fortunate to be privileged enough to live in a western country where I can have food and water at any time, and that I have a good job that helps me pay the bills.

I have my health, family, and friends.  And most of all, my wife.  She's the best.

These are all reasons to be cheerful.

-Terry

Buddy

Spent the day swimming in the river with Mom, Mom's SO, and the Rottweiler. Then came home and had ribs on the grill. A very good day indeed.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Ihateyoumike

I'm hoping to find some reasons soon. Been a while since I've had any.  :(
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

DeterminedJuliet

Dear Husband's sister is having a baby! More cousins for wee man! Yaaaay!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Yay!  Congrats DJ, YA, and WM.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on July 05, 2012, 08:00:05 PM
I'm hoping to find some reasons soon. Been a while since I've had any.  :(
It pleases His Grayness that you find being cheery unreasonable. There is hope for humanity, after all... *Musing* Maybe delay the asteroid impact a little... */Musing*
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 05, 2012, 09:10:26 PM
Dear Husband's sister is having a baby! More cousins for wee man! Yaaaay!

Congratulations!  I'm guessing she's due around January, so a snow-baby.

For my part in cheerfulness, I saw a podiatrist today who said I had the feet of a 20 yr old.  I'd rather have the knees of a 20 year old, but I'm happy with young feet.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Holy Noodles, I just got my organic chemistry results and 53% of the class got a D.  :o
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

^ Did you get a D, too?

Yesterday the charity I support took some disabled people to an excellent local adventure centre.  The staff went several extra miles to give them a good time, but this beats all:

This lad is wheelchair bound and has no leg function at all.  He took it into his head he was going to ring the bell at the top of the 40 foot climbing wall.  This was impossible with the normal safety harness, but the instructors rigged up some extra kit and literally hauled him up.  At the same time they let him get the impression that he was doing most of the climbing himself.  When he rang that bell, the cheers could be heard for miles!  That's one very proud and happy lad.

Ali

Git, that choked me up a little.  That is awesome!  I took "Adventure Experience" in high school (basically a rock climbing gym class) and I have to say that ringing that bell at the top is one of the best feelings ever even for someone who is able bodied. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on July 06, 2012, 09:13:46 AM
^ Did you get a D, too?

Yesterday the charity I support took some disabled people to an excellent local adventure centre.  The staff went several extra miles to give them a good time, but this beats all:

This lad is wheelchair bound and has no leg function at all.  He took it into his head he was going to ring the bell at the top of the 40 foot climbing wall.  This was impossible with the normal safety harness, but the instructors rigged up some extra kit and literally hauled him up.  At the same time they let him get the impression that he was doing most of the climbing himself.  When he rang that bell, the cheers could be heard for miles!  That's one very proud and happy lad.

That's so cool OG. They should put those types of stories in the media instead of the kind of stuff they put there.

Yes, I got a D. Still have a slight chance of getting a C with a retest, but I'm not counting on it. I put that in this cheerful thread because it's objective data that something else is going on rather than just me. ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Two words: Sung Kang
I am seriously in love with him.  ;D
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Amicale

Old Git, that picture and story REALLY made me smile. :) Thanks for that. I needed it.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Buddy

I have somebody looking a Vinnie tomorrow. She wants a horse to take on the trails and just ride for fun. Crossing all of my available appendages that this goes well.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

OldGit

I shall ask the FSM to cross His Noodly Appendage for you, too.