News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What are you watching?

Started by Claireliontamer, October 31, 2015, 05:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Has anyone here seen Brave New World, based on Aldous Huxley's book? I am going to watch it and can only hope it can capture the atmosphere of the book. Huxley's other similar, but much more human, book was Island, which could be turned into a movie as well. I imagined it set in a landscape painted by Gauguin when I read Island.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Randy

I just had my fingers on the wrong keys. Let me try this again.

I just finished watching Mythica: A Quest For Heroes. It's a movie that is entertaining however not the best. I don't want to spoil the movie for those who haven't watched it but I will quote IMDB.
QuoteStuck in a life of indentured servitude, Marek dreams of becoming a wizard. When she meets a beautiful priestess, Teela, in need of help, Marek escapes her master and puts together a team of adventurers and embarks on an epic quest to free Teela's sister from a vicious ogre.
It didn't have my heart racing or my adrenaline running like some action movies but it kept me awake. There are three more movies - sequels that follow. I haven't watched them yet.

I'd give it six out of ten stars because it's a fun little movie.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Recusant

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 19, 2020, 07:47:38 AM
Has anyone here seen Brave New World, based on Aldous Huxley's book? I am going to watch it and can only hope it can capture the atmosphere of the book. Huxley's other similar, but much more human, book was Island, which could be turned into a movie as well. I imagined it set in a landscape painted by Gauguin when I read Island.

After looking it up, I see that there are two made-for-television films of the book. One from 1980 with Keir Dullea (played the main astronaut character in 2001: A Space Odyssey), the other from 1998 with Leonard Nimoy. I've not seen either of them. Interesting that there's never been a "major motion picture" made based on the book.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Quote from: Randy on July 22, 2020, 12:18:55 AM

I just finished watching Mythica: A Quest For Heroes. It's a movie that is entertaining however not the best. I don't want to spoil the movie for those who haven't watched it but I will quote IMDB.
QuoteStuck in a life of indentured servitude, Marek dreams of becoming a wizard. When she meets a beautiful priestess, Teela, in need of help, Marek escapes her master and puts together a team of adventurers and embarks on an epic quest to free Teela's sister from a vicious ogre.
It didn't have my heart racing or my adrenaline running like some action movies but it kept me awake. There are three more movies - sequels that follow. I haven't watched them yet.

But is it silly?  :sidesmile:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Currently watching The Fury, largely because Kirk Douglas is in it but it's not one of his better efforts.  He's trying too hard to be sexy (someone should have told him he really didn't need to try) and the plot, about physic teens in danger, is silly but not the right kind of silly.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Randy

Quote from: Recusant on July 22, 2020, 01:08:40 AM
Quote from: Randy on July 22, 2020, 12:18:55 AM

But is it silly?  :sidesmile:
To us atheists, yeah with one of the main characters invoking her goddess by holding a totem.  ;D
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tank

German Sci Fi 'DARK' on Netflix. Very serious, no humour. No surprises there!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

West World, the original one with Yul Brynner.  I miss Yul Brynner.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

No one

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

Still watching Hustle. I'm in the middle of the third season now. I don't know that I will watch it past season four though. Two of the main characters get replaced it looks like. I may watch an episode or two though and test the waters.

hermes2015

I am watching The Limey for the first time and enjoying it. Terence Stamp gives a brilliant performance in his usual cool way.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Randy

About three days ago I started binge watching Hand of God on Prime Video. It's captivating. It's all I've watched for these past few days.

It's about a judge who thinks he hears "God" and sees visions. Then he exerts vigilante justice because of the voices in his head. It gets more complex as the series goes. There are only two seasons unfortunately.

Tom62

I'm watching "The Queen's Gambit" on Netflix and I'm hooked. Read the Walter Tevis book years ago and love the way they brought it to life on the TV screen.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tom62 on November 29, 2020, 07:22:22 PM
I'm watching "The Queen's Gambit" on Netflix and I'm hooked. Read the Walter Tevis book years ago and love the way they brought it to life on the TV screen.

I got halfway through the first episode and couldn't get through the rest.  :-X
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey