News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

MOST COMPELLING REASON TO BE ATHEIST

Started by vac_id, November 08, 2019, 10:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vac_id

What does it mean to be atheist?

What, in your opinion, is the single-most compelling reason to be an atheist, if there is one?

Magdalena

Quote from: vac_id on November 08, 2019, 10:03:17 PM

What, in your opinion, is the single-most compelling reason to be an atheist, if there is one?
Hello, vac_id,
Welcome to the forum.  :computerwave:

Are you an atheist?
~Just curious.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bluenose

Hello vac_id, welcomer to the madhouse.

To answer your question: The absolutely abject lack of any evidence for any sort of supernatural being.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Recusant

Hello, vac_id.

Though it's good to get to know each other a bit before diving into possibly contentious topics, you've jumped straight in. OK

Your questions are straight-forward and I will give answers in the same vein.

"What does it mean to be atheist?"

An atheist is somebody who doesn't believe in deities.

"What, in your opinion, is the single-most compelling reason to be an atheist?"

The absence of any compelling evidence in favor of the existence of deities. I could give other reasons, but you asked for a single reason, so that's what I've supplied.

Now for a question from me: Why do you ask?

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Quickie answer:  There is no compelling reason to be an atheist while there are many compelling reasons to dismiss theism.  We have no suitably cogent alternative than to be non believers. 

Welcome to the forum Vac_id.
You may be pleased to learn that we are seldom militant, evil, or overtly stubborn about our absence of belief in a deity.  Indeed our forum has only one among the numerous topic threads that deal with religion.  We are more into Music, art, photography, culinary arts, sciencey things  and a bit of politics. Most of all we are friendly and caring individuals which is a fact that you will soon see for yourself.  You can see for yourself by examining the topic list. ..........Please do look into our general attitudes to decide whether you wish to be a productive and thoughtful contributor to this international group.

No one

Baby recipes.
Being able to rape, maim, and murder without feeling guilty.
Barbequed kittens.

Siz

I can peel, dice and stew-up a disabled baby without being eternally damned. So liberating!
Or, I can choose not to for my own self-serving reasons unrelated to any judgemental overlord.

You're not here to judge are you, vac_id?

Welcome.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Siz

Quote from: No one on November 09, 2019, 01:06:02 AM
Baby recipes.
Barbequed kittens.
Sick bastard. Kittens are not for consumption.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Dark Lightning

Welcome! Hint for the OP. ALL CAPS paints a poor picture of the poster, as it seems like yelling. Having written literally miles of FORTRAN code, I find that an amusing statement to make, as that was the only case we could program in, back in the day, before "C" extensions. As for WHY, the answer has already been provided by the worthies posting above in this thread.  ;)

hermes2015

Hello and welcome to HAF, vac_id.

I will give the same answers as my esteemed colleagues above. Tell us what your standpoint is.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

I agree with most of the others here, since that is the baseline of atheism -- lack of a compelling reason to believe in gods (or for me, anything supernatural).  Atheism isn't usually a claim but simply an opinion about others claims.  There are exceptions, tho not on this forum as far as I can tell.

I do have to draw a line at BBQ kittens.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: Siz on November 09, 2019, 01:40:43 AM
Quote from: No one on November 09, 2019, 01:06:02 AM
Baby recipes.
Barbequed kittens.
Sick bastard. Kittens are not for consumption.
:snicker:
You guys are funny.
When I joined the forum I made a similar mistake, I thought a shot of Tequila and a baby was an excellent combination but someone with more experience in atheist matters corrected me.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 09, 2019, 03:02:07 AM

Welcome! Hint for the OP. ALL CAPS paints a poor picture of the poster, as it seems like yelling. Having written literally miles of FORTRAN code, I find that an amusing statement to make, as that was the only case we could program in, back in the day, before "C" extensions. As for WHY, the answer has already been provided by the worthies posting above in this thread.  ;)

fortran!

// sysin dd *!

fortran was worthless unless you did the JCL correctly

you must remember cards

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

To be woke to reality.

The utter BA spouted by theists as a collective. They don't even believe each others BS! As individuals the vast majority are ok.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.