News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

This is what do you get if you combine heavy metal with classical music; played by highly skilled musicians and sung by one of the best female singers in the world.

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Anne D.

Quote from: Red_Cloud on October 03, 2019, 10:30:09 AM
Submit your favourite love song.

Not just any old love song, but one with a plea or lustfullness which will make the recipient swoon.- like the 1st. One
Or perhaps a come and lay down by my side invitation.- like the 2nd. One
Or this hauntingly beautiful song which came out in 1979.- like the 3rd. One 
Finally, if this last one doesn't bring a lump in your throat and a tear to your eye, you are beyond help. - like the 4th. One 

Thanks for your welcome Papa Bruno. Yes, I've heard the Allman Brothers before, and I like.

Roberta Flack is the best. My favorite song off that album is Compared to What, but the First Time Ever I Saw Your Face is a close second.

Some of my favorite love songs are the Cyndi Lauper version of When You Were Mine (the video is silly, though). (I love Prince, but his version doesn't hold a candle. Some American punk band also did a good cover.) Also really love Elvis Costello's "I Want You." Not what most people would call a love song, but hate is the flipside of love. And I love Lauryn Hill's Ex-Factor. Hope the link works, but I have a tendency to mess them up:

Bad Penny II

I resonate with this one

Not this one so much.

I'm off to listen to Roberta.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Well I knew he was a fool but somehow I thought my welfare concerned him

Bad Penny II

Red_Cloud

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 06, 2019, 04:38:10 PM

Nice choice BP.

Do you like this?. . .

Ramona, come closer, shut softly your watery eyes.
One of the best Dylan covers ever, by Sinéad Lohan

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Here is one for our favorite Brazillian lady.  That's you Silver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB1Ma4-fLhI

What is that vocalist saying?  Maybe JJ will know.

Icarus

Here is a 1970s era display of a most talented singer in a group who does musical music that can stand the test of time....but perhaps not for current tastes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqmS29CXNZ8

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Classical music, for want of a better name, is a never-ending adventure. I am embarrassed to admit that I only discovered the Finnish composer Kalevi Aho a few months ago. How many others are still unknown to me?

This is his marvellous, quite Bartokian, Concerto for Percussion and Orchestra, with the agile Martin Grubinger as solo percussionist. He has to be as fit as our jumbojak.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on October 18, 2019, 02:43:19 AM
Here is one for our favorite Brazillian lady.  That's you Silver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB1Ma4-fLhI

What is that vocalist saying?  Maybe JJ will know.

Thanks, Icarus! :grin:

Here's a translation of the song:

https://www.letras.mus.br/tom-jobim/646525/
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey