News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Dave

Started by Magdalena, December 14, 2018, 05:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Would anyone like to say anything about Dave?
I would.
That's all I would like to do right now.

I liked Dave the minute he entered the forum.  :tellmemore:
I told him a joke and he laughed. The rest is history.

Dave was a humanist. Who would argue with a humanist? I did.  :picard facepalm:
--Fuck. What's wrong with me!?

Anyways...

He loved, loved, loved vino. I love vino.  :love: :drink: :drink:
I don't think he liked that, so
we got into an argument about it. Remember that?  ::)

It was like two marijuanos  fighting over Mary Juana.

Dave was a very smart man. He knew a lot about everything. I looked forward to his posts, especially what he had eaten for lunch on a particular day. ;D  Always eating healthy...With a sinful glass of wine.  :devil:

If humans transcend, if Dave is able to read my post...If he is not able to...I'm sure he's somewhere trying to find a way to... ;D

Dave, I want you to know that I cried when I found out you had passed away and that's because I'm glad you crossed my path. You were a beautiful old man. I always compare some people's personalities to plants. You were like a vine, you hypnotized. Some people are like a rose, beautiful texture and colours, and scents, but thorny. (Noticed I said, colour, not color? ;D) Some grow some thick, deep, strong roots, impossible to fight. --You were all of them. You had no children or grandchildren, but all your nieces, nephews, and I, am here to remember you for more years to come, you will not be forgotten.

Have a wonderful trip across the universe, Dave. I hope, "it" (whoever, or whatever that might be) gave you enough eternity to be able to see all of it, I think you've earned that privilege.

Please forgive my craziness.
--It's just the red vino speaking.

"Cheers, Dave."  :cheers:

This is what the conversations at Dave's house would've been like:

;D

Quote from: Dave on January 12, 2018, 06:13:22 AM
In vino veritas

Edit:
Added quote.
Something Dave said to me a long time ago.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

From Jane, Dave's friend'

"Hi Chris.
The funeral has been arranged for 27th December any information about Dave would be appreciated  As soon as possible.
Thanks Jane"

I have pointed her at this thread.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ecurb Noselrub

Nice to hear from Mags.

Dave was always cordial to me, respectful of differing opinions, willing to be a peacemaker, easy to communicate with, willing to give the benefit of the doubt, and an all-around nice chap.  That's how he came across to me, anyway.  He was a good man with a true heart. 

Essie Mae

Dave had a generous but very analytical mind. He kindly sent me several pms when I was struggling a bit with some issues. He had a kindly attitude to everyone, including those of us whose intellectual capability was far below his. A lovely man who I'm sure will be missed by many.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Essie Mae on December 14, 2018, 05:46:36 PMHe had a kindly attitude to everyone, including those of us whose intellectual capability was far below his. A lovely man who I'm sure will be missed by many.

Ye, I thought of my self as a fool, he kindly explained to me that's a job for the clever.  :)
I'll miss Dave.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

Dave's inquisitive and creative mind seemed to find a new technical challenge every week, which led to some interesting exchanges of ideas between us, sometimes as PMs. He had much to be proud of, but was always incredibly unpretentious and self-effacing. I would have loved to have him as a neighbour.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

I don't really have that much to add to what has already been said. I'm not very adept at eulogies, worse at platitudes. Dave did leave a hole, and I think one not easily filled what with the Internet becoming an ever more polarized space, its louder denizens busily picking causes to fight and fight for. That was not Dave's way. For that, and for the way he was, he will be missed.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

This is for dave. I know he liked it.

Dark Lightning

What I remember with Dave is that I met him while posting at a couple of other sites. He left both because of the ugly level of angst that he saw. He invited me here when I asked him at one of those sites, where he was hanging out. He didn't have any use for the attitudes of most the people that posted at those sites, so he left. I have as well. Dave was a polymath with a great deal of diverse interests, and was always interesting to converse with. The world could do with 100 times as many gentle, intelligent people like Dave. Sad to see that he is gone. :(

xSilverPhinx

Good idea Mags, thank you.

I'll repost what I wrote in the other thread:

I think one thing that stood out about Dave during the brief time he posted here was that he cared. He cared about people, about knowledge and about life in general. He volunteered his time and energy to help others and donated money to charity. He wasn't all words and no action, he actually did those things. He was pragmatic and curious, always trying to think outside the box to solve a problem. And he was a fighter.

Dave mentioned on a few occasions that he was battling anxiety, and possibly suffered from PTSD. Anxiety can be crippling to those afflicted, but he wouldn't let that get in the way of what he wanted to do. That's courage. That's strength.

I'll miss Dave. :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Magdalena if you are still out there, thank you for that kind post about Dave.  We miss you at the forum dear lady. May your days be bright and your life be long and happy. 

Recusant

Dave had a welcoming manner and a willingness to be a peace-maker. His intellectual curiosity and wide range of interests meant that he nearly always had a comment to make on new discoveries in science, displaying insights which could stimulate further discussion. He was a gallant spirit, a connoisseur of the finer things in life, and a man who valued kindness and understanding as essential elements of his discussions on this site. He will be missed very much.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Sent to Jane, Dave's friend, on the morning of his funeral 27th December 2018.

"Good Morning Jane.

I and the other members of The Happy Atheist Forum who have had the privilege of getting to know Dave wish you, and all the others attending his funeral today, well.

He was a lovely, thoughtful and intelligent man who will be sorely missed.

Best regards and condolences
Chris"