News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What's Cooking?

Started by Bad Penny II, August 22, 2018, 02:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

Quote from: No one on September 27, 2018, 07:28:32 PM
Tonight I plan on Shrimp Fra Diavlo, maybe Shrimp Scampi, that part is still up in the air. A fresh Mozzarella and tomato salad with a red pepper vinaigrette, with a balsamic reduction.

Can I come over to your place tonight?  ;)
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Tonight I plan on Shrimp Fra Diavlo, maybe Shrimp Scampi, that part is still up in the air. A fresh Mozzarella and tomato salad with a red pepper vinaigrette, with a balsamic reduction.

Everyone! No one is hosting a party!  :woohoo!:

Wait...that didn't come out right. :notsure:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 28, 2018, 06:34:51 PM

Everyone! No one is hosting a party!  :woohoo!:

Wait...that didn't come out right. :notsure:

:rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

I was at the supermarket and there was a special on corned beef silverside, a chunk of meet you take home and cook, not the slices you get in the deli.  I've always liked the slices you get from the deli. A corned beef and tomato sandwich is an excellent thing.

Why have you got to your present grand old age and not bought one of these reasonably priced chunks of meat?

Thank you for the pertinent question Green, it was my upbringing.
A home cooked corned beef silverside was a grey stringy thing, possibly with string wrapped around it.
Nothing like the sleek smooth red impeccably sliced deli corned beef silverside.
Google says you cook it for an hour a kilo, toss in onions and stuff if you want.
DON'T DO A ROLLING BOIL, SIMMER.

Buying it, cooking it, I feared my significant others reaction.

I claim a victory! My silverside is as good as the deli stuff that cost 2.5 times as much, even approved of by my most censorious other.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bluenose

I love home cooked corned beef!

One way you might like to try:

Buy some semi dried ginger (available in the herb section at the stupor market)
two bottles of dry ginger ale.

Remove all the fat from the corned beef.
Place in the slow cooker
Place about half the packet of ginger slivers over the corned beef.
Pour in the dry ginger ale enough to just cover the beef.
Turn the cooker to high for an hour or so and then a further 6-8 hours on low.
Delicious with horseradish sauce.

If you don't have a slow cooker, use the method and time you did before but with the ginger and dry ginger ale as above.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Magdalena

I've never had corned beef. Or Spam. Or Tofu.  :notsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Bluenose on August 19, 2021, 01:03:54 AM
I love home cooked corned beef!

One way you might like to try:

Buy some semi dried ginger (available in the herb section at the stupor market)
two bottles of dry ginger ale.

Remove all the fat from the corned beef.
Place in the slow cooker
Place about half the packet of ginger slivers over the corned beef.
Pour in the dry ginger ale enough to just cover the beef.
Turn the cooker to high for an hour or so and then a further 6-8 hours on low.
Delicious with horseradish sauce.

If you don't have a slow cooker, use the method and time you did before but with the ginger and dry ginger ale as above.

Interesting.
I think someone mentioned beer, I've got lots of that.
I'll try and select one that sits flatter in the pot next time, so I don't have to use so much water/liquid and dilute the effect of added things.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Magdalena on August 19, 2021, 06:57:15 AM

I supposed canned corned beef is comparable to spam, the delicatessen/home cooked stuff is more comparable to ham.

I've still got my special can of Spam, it's not for eating though.

billy rubin

i had tofu for breakfast the other day

took two green omions chpped up and some crushed garlic

put in a bowl  with some olive oil  and a 1/8  pound tofu, cubed

microwave on high 4 minutes until it is ssizzling

drop in about four tablespoons of yellow miso

top up with water and microwave again unril its hot

stir until the miso is mived in

done

eat with a pale ale. voodoo ranger is good. 9 % abv

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on August 19, 2021, 11:45:02 AM
i had tofu for breakfast the other day

took two green omions chpped up and some crushed garlic

put in a bowl  with some olive oil  and a 1/8  pound tofu, cubed

microwave on high 4 minutes until it is ssizzling

drop in about four tablespoons of yellow miso

top up with water and microwave again unril its hot

stir until the miso is mived in

done

eat with a pale ale. voodoo ranger is good. 9 % abv
After microwaving tofu on high for 4 minutes until it is sizzling and microwaving it again until it's hot, does it retain its form or does it get mushy?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 19, 2021, 07:04:42 AM

OK.  :lol:
I've never had it, and maybe I should keep it that way.

Magdalena

Quote from: Bad Penny II on August 19, 2021, 10:04:03 AM

I supposed canned corned beef is comparable to spam, the delicatessen/home cooked stuff is more comparable to ham.

I've still got my special can of Spam, it's not for eating though.

Is this stuff salty and greasy?

Ecurb Noselrub

Corned beef is wonderful.  Try it on a Reuben, or with cabbage if you feel Irish. Spam and tofu can disappear, but not corned beef.

billy rubin

After microwaving tofu on high for 4 minutes until it is sizzling and microwaving it again until it's hot, does it retain its form or does it get mushy?

ah never

buy extra firm tofu and squeeze as much of the water out ss you can between some paper towels. then heat up some oil in a pan until its hot and drop the tofu pieces in. tbe heat sears over the surface and prevents liquids from moving in quickly, and also evaporates a lot of the wster still insede.

if you drop the pieces into a soup or a liquid curry the tofu then absotbs some of whatever you dropped it and is no longer bland.

they make it ermented submerged in liquid so even if it absorbs all the water back it just returns to the solid it was when you started. when i lived in san jose id buy it fresh in japantown and tbeyd fish it out of the tank right there at the cash register. superb stuff

i stir fry the stuff with vegetables, use it in soups like miso, fry it for breakfast instead of eggs

try cooking some in a pan with bacon and see what that does. ive never done that

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."