News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Did You Know?

Started by Red_Cloud, October 11, 2019, 03:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on October 13, 2019, 07:27:34 PM
How many of those neurons are firing on all cylinders though?

Weeell...all neurons fire on all cylinders when they reach an action potential threshold. It's all-or-nothing. If you get too many excitatory neurons firing full blast at the same time you might end up with a seizure.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

ah

i know what that looks like

set the function, not the mechanism.

Icarus

Silver might bust my chops for this one..........Men have three receptors that distinguish colors. Trichromatic ?.  Some women, not all of them, have four receptors and they can distinguish nuances of color better than men. Tetrachromatic ?  A butterfly has seven and a certain shrimp like marine animal has 15. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on October 13, 2019, 10:40:03 PM
Silver might bust my chops for this one..........Men have three receptors that distinguish colors. Trichromatic ?.  Some women, not all of them, have four receptors and they can distinguish nuances of color better than men. Tetrachromatic ?  A butterfly has seven and a certain shrimp like marine animal has 15.

I think that's about right. There are two major groups of light receptors in the retina: cone cells and rod cells. Trichromats have three types of cone cells whereas tetrachromats have four.

Can you tell which ones are the rod cells and which ones are the cones?  ;D

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Did you know, rod cells are low-light receptors and are shaped like rods to maximize the surface area of the stacked membrane "shelves" within? These are the types of cells that help animals see in the dark.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey