News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Platinum Cylinder to be Retired

Started by Recusant, November 21, 2018, 11:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

For a very long time, the kilogram has been defined by a cylinder of platinum alloy kept in pristine condition under a triple bell jar in France. It's the last of the physical standards used in the metric system--for instance the mètre des Archives (a physical bar of platinum alloy) was retired as long ago as 1960. Now even the kilogram will be defined by a scientific constant, relegating the platinum cylinder to history.

"Kilogram, ampere, kelvin and mole redefined" | ScienceDaily

The International Prototype of the Kilogram (IPK) is held in an underground vault at the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM), located in Sèvres, near Paris. Following the decision to redefine the SI kilogram starting 20th May 2019, the definition of the kilogram will no longer be based on the physical artefact called the International Prototype but rather on a constant of physics, as are the other seven base units of the SI. The redefinition of the kilogram marks the end of artefacts used to define our measurement units.
Image Credit: © BIPM

Today, in a landmark decision, representatives from 60 countries voted to redefine the International System of Units (SI), changing the world's definition of the kilogram, the ampere, the kelvin and the mole, forever.

The decision, made at the General Conference on Weights and Measures in Versailles, France, which is organised by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM), means that all SI units will now be defined in terms of constants that describe the natural world. This will assure the future stability of the SI and open the opportunity for the use of new technologies, including quantum technologies, to implement the definitions.

The changes, which will come into force on 20 May 2019, will bring an end to the use of physical objects to define measurement units.

The definition of the kilogram for more than 130 years, the International Prototype of the Kilogram (IPK), a cylinder of a platinum alloy stored at the BIPM in France, will now be retired. It will be replaced by the Planck constant -- the fundamental constant of quantum physics. While the stability of the IPK could only be confirmed by comparisons with identical copies, a difficult and potentially inaccurate process, the Planck constant is ready for use everywhere and always.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

I've read several articles and do not understand how you get to a kilo by Planck's constant.  I think there is a formula in which Planck's constant is an element, but I don't understand how, given Planck, you can get a kilo.  Anyone have any insight?

jumbojak

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 22, 2018, 12:40:00 AM
I've read several articles and do not understand how you get to a kilo by Planck's constant.  I think there is a formula in which Planck's constant is an element, but I don't understand how, given Planck, you can get a kilo.  Anyone have any insight?

Think about it, it's a planck. The only more appropriate use would be as a basis for length.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

The current mass standard is changing mass due to nuclear decay, since even platinum has radioactive isotopes. I'm interested myself about the use of the Planck constant. I got my BSc degree in physics many years (35) ago. I'll go look it up and see if there is a layman's explanation. A lot of what I did is so mathematical that only brilliant people can make them understandable to others...and I ain't brilliant.

hermes2015

It comes from the unit of the Planck constant (kg⋅m2⋅s−1), since the meter and second have been defined before. This quote is from an article I found (https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/11/14/18072368/kilogram-kibble-redefine-weight-science):

The kilogram, symbol kg, is the SI unit of mass. It is defined by taking the fixed numerical value of the Planck constant h to be 6.626 070 15 × 10-34 when expressed in the unit J s, which is equal to kg m2 s -1 , where the meter and the second are defined in terms of c and ∆νCs.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 22, 2018, 02:19:49 AM
The current mass standard is changing mass due to nuclear decay, since even platinum has radioactive isotopes. I'm interested myself about the use of the Planck constant. I got my BSc degree in physics many years (35) ago. I'll go look it up and see if there is a layman's explanation. A lot of what I did is so mathematical that only brilliant people can make them understandable to others...and I ain't brilliant.

I knew it was getting lighter, but not that that was the cause.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 22, 2018, 03:30:12 AM
It comes from the unit of the Planck constant (kg⋅m2⋅s−1), since the meter and second have been defined before. This quote is from an article I found (https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/11/14/18072368/kilogram-kibble-redefine-weight-science):

The kilogram, symbol kg, is the SI unit of mass. It is defined by taking the fixed numerical value of the Planck constant h to be 6.626 070 15 × 10-34 when expressed in the unit J s, which is equal to kg m2 s -1 , where the meter and the second are defined in terms of c and ∆νCs.

That's a bit better than what I found. I'll just go with that. Thanks.

Dark Lightning

Caliasseia

A full exposition of the reasoning (and an elegant one at that) can be found here.
Bad ideas exist to be destroyed ...

Tank

Quote from: Caliasseia on January 19, 2019, 08:55:06 AM
A full exposition of the reasoning (and an elegant one at that) can be found here.

A Kibble balance sounds like a dog owner would need :)

Sandra Craft

Man, I just saw the picture of it and thought "that's so pretty".
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany