News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Man gets genetically-modified pig heart in world-first transplant

Started by Tank, January 11, 2022, 08:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Man gets genetically-modified pig heart in world-first transplant

"A US man has become the first person in the world to get a heart transplant from a genetically-modified pig.

David Bennett, 57, is doing well three days after the experimental seven-hour procedure in Baltimore, doctors say.

The transplant was considered the last hope of saving Mr Bennett's life, though it is not yet clear what his long-term chances of survival are."

This has been on the cards for a while in theory. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Ecurb Noselrub

I'm sure he is bustin' his chops to stay alive. He can watch some pigskin while he is in the hospital. When he pulls the cover over him he will be a pig-in-the-blanket. His House Representative doesn't have to promise him any pork - he already has the real thing. From now on his nickname will be "Porky".

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 11, 2022, 08:08:32 PM
I'm sure he is bustin' his chops to stay alive. He can watch some pigskin while he is in the hospital. When he pulls the cover over him he will be a pig-in-the-blanket. His House Representative doesn't have to promise him any pork - he already has the real thing. From now on his nickname will be "Porky".

I find your attitude uncharitable to say the least, unchristian one might say.
With his new chance at life he may achieve something he always wanted to, yet never quite found the time for.  Perhaps he'll get his pilots licence.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Bad Penny II on January 11, 2022, 10:28:05 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 11, 2022, 08:08:32 PM

I find your attitude uncharitable to say the least, unchristian one might say.
With his new chance at life he may achieve something he always wanted to, yet never quite found the time for.  Perhaps he'll get his pilots licence.

Yes, I was bad. But No One started it.

Recusant

Some of Cordwainer Smith's stories come to mind. A long stretch from here to there, but then he took that into account.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

you are the only person i have ever met who knows who cordwainer smith was.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

I read a ton of sci fi when young, and still do. I know the name, but don't recall reading anything by C. Smith. I probably have, though. I'll check him out.

Tank

Ecurb Noselrub

I guess we are all made of something else, anyway. If we only knew where all the atoms in our bodies had been!

Recusant

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 12, 2022, 06:02:15 PM
I read a ton of sci fi when young, and still do. I know the name, but don't recall reading anything by C. Smith. I probably have, though. I'll check him out.

He was something else. His stories are superb, and still hold up pretty well considering that they were written over half a century ago.  :lol:  An interesting person in his own right, who died too young.

— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Quote from: Tank on January 12, 2022, 06:58:34 PM
Quote from: Recusant on January 12, 2022, 04:53:06 PM
Heh, I read far too much SF when I was a youngster.

It's impossible to read too much SF!

You're right.  It was the political books that sealed my fate, (particularly The Making of a Counter Culture) though maybe SF got me to the edge of the abyss.   :evilgrin:
— H. L. Mencken