News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What would your ideal 'atheist' world look like?

Started by Tank, January 08, 2022, 10:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

We knock religions but we want to see them gone because they are mixtures of myths, lies and scams. But when religions are gone, or at least marginalised to the point where they are considered mild aberrations, what will/should the world look like to its human population?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

Free roaming blouse bunnies, as far as the eyes can see.

Eating babies in public.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on January 08, 2022, 11:58:46 AM
do you really think religions will disappear?

I strongly doubt it as they are so emotionally satisfying.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Icarus

That is a question worthy of studied speculation, Tank.

I am currently in a snit about some of the committed religion practitioners.  A group of local god botherers are thoroughly convinced that God will reinstate Trump, that the episode of January 6 2012 is the will of God, that the participants were patriots not insurrectionists.

Not just a snit really.  I am almost sickened by the stupidity of the ones who are certain that Gods will be done.  I have to live with them in my community and yours too, most likely. (sigh)

My first reaction to your question is that first, ignorance of reality must be removed or at least mitigated.  Fat chance! 

Tom62

I just want to see a world where people get along fine, independent of political affiliation, religion or other belief systems. I also want to see a world where the media and politicians don't lie, hide facts and stir up hate. And I want to see a world that MLK was longing for, a world where people are not judged on the colour of their skin but by the content of their character.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Old Seer

There would be no difference, the central/basic psychological metal structure of all people is the same.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

billy rubin

the human condition is non negotiable, i think.

we have  lots of philosophy , but the lizard brain always wins

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

Look at all the conspiracy theories and lies in the political world. That is the future.

Old Seer

Removing religions very likely won't change anything. In today's term, mindset, if that doesn't change very little would change. The "mindset" of the peoples is the same but beliefs are different. The central core of philosophies and social values are the same world over.  The values that we associate with others is the same for religious as the  secular, as all are secular followers no matter the religion. IOW, the secular holds the final power of social relations by force of applicable law. The social mindset is held in the secular regardless of religion. Removing religion leaves the secular holding the bag which is just as much the problem as if religion were the sole governance. The ones governing have the same flaws as the governed, so there would be little change. In either case, both religion and secular are imposing belief.  :-)
I'm not a Theist.

Tank

"Removing religions very likely won't change anything"

So changing 3/4 of the world's population away from dumb irrational beliefs wouldn't change anything? Right.

Ecurb Noselrub

No. They will just move on to other beliefs that are just as irrational. If you spent some time in the USA you would see how easily people are led astray.

Tom62

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 14, 2022, 09:57:48 PM
No. They will just move on to other beliefs that are just as irrational. If you spent some time in the USA you would see how easily people are led astray.

I fully agree. People start then to believe in other crazy stuff. You see it everywhere in the western world where common sense is being replace by wokeism.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Recusant

An atheist world of human beings would require some evolving, I think. An actual increase in not only intelligence, but also in native curiosity. Puberty seems to extinguish the latter in many people, and then they put their head down and get on with the business of having a life.

The religions propagate mainly by indoctrination at an "impressionable" age, after which they've got the majority of people as life-long customers. Note the term "impressionable." Humans all become more mentally hidebound with age, but the ability to learn and grow is still there in many, and is even utilized by some. If that were to become the norm, then fewer people would hold on to the myths they were given in childhood.

We won't leave gods behind until we have genuinely outgrown them. Evolution takes time. Not to forget that we are learning to tinker with its works.  :smokin cool:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Old Seer

Quote from: Tank on January 14, 2022, 09:31:23 PM
"Removing religions very likely won't change anything"

So changing 3/4 of the world's population away from dumb irrational beliefs wouldn't change anything? Right.
Secular authorities inherently come up with some very ignorant undertakings as does religions. In turn, that gets implemented upon the people by force of law by police force. Today's people are under an inherited system of thought from previous generations as others before this one.  I posted previous at a time or two that everyone will have to take a walk through atheism in order to bring about a peaceful world. There will come a day when religions are gone and the idea of a super human operating the universe will be understood as false.
I'm not a Theist.